Build Project - SS Cherokee

Impact

You are such a show off with all the gucci gear you have for your princess rig :flipoff:

Secretly I'm jealous!...

Where did you get the Johnny joints from? Did you shop around?

I'm interested in seeing how you mount your uppers. Looks interesting so far!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Well, only a real princess would recognize a "princess" rig! :flipoff:

I got the joints from TMR, prices are very reasonable and Tim provides awesome customer service. You won"t have to wait too long to see how the uppers are mounted, i should be finishing that up tomorrow.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Didn't get too much done tonight, hangin out with the kids but i'll be hard at it tomorrow. Got the bracing done for the upper mounts, i'll be melting these on in the morning then building the upper links.

Oh, and there was some hatin on chrysler on another thread so i thought i'd post this...

GO RAM GO!!!!!!!

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
For lack of a better term, will there be any rotational bracing/gusseting in the top and/or bottom of the mounts? It looks like they may have a lot of leverage at the mount point.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I see what you are saying and i was planning on adding another brace near the end to the "frame" once they're in the vehicle. I based my design on a very popular (for XJ's) design and there aren't any provisions for rotational forces although i believe that any rotating force would be minimal as most of the forces will be push/pull and it's primarily all built on a fairly horizontal plane. However, bracing is easy and good insurance so i will be adding a piece that should minimize any effects of those forces.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So, it's been a marathon weekend trying to get this thing done - and i'm 95% there! I just have a few odds and ends to wrap up but i'll do that tomorrow. Everyone love pictures so here's a few however, i was so focused on getting this done i didn't take too many of the progress.

These are my bumpstops (without the rubber stops)

everything pretty much in place...

The uppers only come up through the floor an inch or two, i did have to cut a channel that goes under the seat for the links when the suspension articulates..

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So by late afternoon i was at a point in which i could put it together (like i said ealier, there are still a few loose ends to finish) and take it out in order to see how it would perform (at least on the street). I won't bore you with all the numbers but i stayed true to the "rules" as i could. My uppers are 74% the length of the lowers, axle separation is just over 25% of wheel diameter and the frame separation is 50% of that. It was difficult to estimate the ceter of gravity so i went with the top bolt of the bell housing, but with a full bodied rig it was difficult to visualize the convegance point of the uppers and lower near that spot.

After all that i still wasn't sure what value the anti-squat was at, so i tightened everything up through on the tires and took her out. I will say that during the build i figured that i would NEED a rear sway-bar but i am happy to say that i don't feel i require one.

Once i got her on the road i was very happy with how it handled, VERY minimal squat on hard exceleration, stable and not too much body roll at all! Anyway - here are more driveway pics - i am itching to start getting wheeling pics instead of it sitting in the driveway...

D

Dirk

Looks sweet buddy. Good job on the rear links. How is the dive under hard breaking?

D

DoctorPhate

Wow Merek, really nice man. So when do we get to see this out on the trails next? Or will it just be for the more distant stuff like RC and not local easier trails?

Loco

I'd wheel it
Wow! Nice job. I admire the fact that you managed to get it done in such a short amount of time. Respect to your dedication. I hope it exceeds your expectations.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanks guys! I hope to have any kinks worked out after the weekend and start getting out on as many trail runs as possible, after all that's what it's all about - i am getting sick of staring at it in the garage! I still have a few things to work out after the long, such as rebuilding a T-case skid plate and rebuilding the front axle coil buckets (not happy with the angle they are on) but that's stuff for later!