Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
hmm, i just noticed that, must be a glitch or something. hehehehe sock puppet, nice. Adrian, good point about the RCV's being overkill i think a good set of chromo's and a good u-joint will suffice - i do like the idea of slugs, strong and simple

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
update, got some goodies for the 14 bolt. I'll be ordering a cover very soon as well as i've decided to spend a few extra bucks on a grizzly locker for this too.

8 lug wheels - simple steelies with weld on beadlocks. i'll clean and paint them next week..

And my winter project, a kingpin ford HP dana 60 - in good shape too.

Cochise

strange, i just noticed that the original post was "overwritten". i'll post up the pics again

I think Adrian meant to hit reply to the now "overwritten" post, but actually hit "edit" instead (mods can do that) and overwrote your post.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Spent yesterday in the garage - cleaning mostly but tossed some paint on the wheels and rings and started mounting tires. 2 liquids that where essential in the process...

lubed and installing...

and after alot of huffin and puffin and tightening...

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Thai Dragon Fruit? Dude you really think you should have posted that lol? I thought it was bad when I used rose scent baby powder to find the diesel leak on the Ex. It was worth logging in from Cuba to see that haha.
Oh and nice tires :beer:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanks! The scent covered up the smell of gear oil if not for a little while! Because i have to use liberal amounts to get the bead to slip over the rim it gets everywhere so my hands have never felt softer! :cool: How's Cuba? I imagine the rum tastes good.

I should be getting started on the 14 bolt this week, I was going to shave down the bottom lip but i'm starting to think i may take the lip on the bottom right off and make it smooth. There are a few companies that offer a 13 bolt cover, that'll take well over an inch off the bottom.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Cool idea with the 13 bolt.
Cuba is good except for me trying to bring in 13 pieces of old ram and they wanted $120 or $120 per person not sure at which point I told them they could have it all but 2 and then the guy said I could have 4 but we had to fill in the paperwork "10 mins". But then another keener said no, no you have to pay duty and over an hour later and $12 each later we finally left the airport and meanwhile the other people going to our resort and the driver were sitting there the whole time in the taxi. Anyway got there and lot's of rum, champagne and beer. Went swimming at 5 as it was still 29C.
Renting a 4x4 Jimny, guess I might be a Zuk guy after that.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
got started on the 14 bolt, I'm taking advantage of the time off i have. Started to fit the truss and drill the holes to attach the pinion support/guard...

getting it all fit together and welded...

tossed on the caliper brackets...

and mocked up the rotors, calipers and hubs. standard disk conversion - i'm using chevy 3/4 ton front axle rotors and calipers...

positioned under the rear of the jeep and now the long process of positioning and measuring begins so i can weld on the link brackets and coil buckets... but that won't be tonight. ;)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I've got a high clearance cover on the way from barnes 4wd that turns the 14 bolt into a 13 bolt. It will allow me cut the bottom lip off giving me an 1 1/4" clearance and a smooth bottom. Cutting out the bottom of the housing and therefore clearancing the ring gear is not something i want to attempt, just don't want to deal with grinding and welding to the cast housing.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
That is my point. You had to also go up to 42's to gain the same clearance. Not usually a problem on a buggy, but is generally an issue on full body trucks. It's a ballance. If you can save 1500 plus by shaving the ring gear, why not? Just an option.

You make it sound like I was forced to go 42's LOL The tire size was a choice, the axles a necessity for the tire size.. :flipoff:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Got some more done today, after a whole lot of measuring and "eyeballing" i started to build the coil buckets by positoining the bucket supports where they needed to be...

I positioned the axle and knew where the buckets needed to be i finished building them...

and melted them onto the axle...

then got the bottom link brackets in place and melted them in too...

now i just need to build the upper mounts, not happy with the mounts i have so i'm waiting on some others to show up, FEDEX says my high clearnce cover should be here on friday - if that's the case i'll start the shave this weekend.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Fair enough, I'm not taking it as directed to me, just don't think it makes much sense to run a 14 bolt and spend the better part of $500 to do the ring gear mod if your "only" running 38's. Better to do what Marek is doing for $120 and live with the extra 3/4" of extra material, or just run a D60. If your running less than 40's you don't need a 14 bolt IMHO. My 2 cents ;)

Impact

The rear is definitely coming together!

I'll have to give you call to swing by and "guide" me ;)

What are the size of the new shoes for the Cherokee?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
George, swing by anytime - are you still out west? they are 39.5's - minus the locker and gearing i'm hoping to have it done by early next week and then i need to disassemble and start cleaning that dana 60 - i'm trying to do that before the snow comes as i want to clean it outside as to minimize the mess that creates in the garage.