Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
thanks, i am feeling inspired enough for this weekend to start the b pillar, center X and harness bar, not sure how far i'll get :)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
thanks guys! :D , i'll post pics of the progress from the weekend, i cut and bent the B pillar bars, another set of roof bars (to tie in the X) and the harness bar. I'll cut and bend the X tomorrow, after i get some more wire for the miller tomorrow morning.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Ok, when i wasn't putting up Christmas lights i got some stuff done. Once the rear fenders where boxed in with sheet metal it was time to finish the tube...

now i just have to box in the bumper and put the tail lights back.
Then started the reats of the tube work, i'm putting in a second mid brace in the halo for support, started with one side...

and then the other...

then cut holes in the roof for the support braces...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I then fitted the B-pillar..

Once both were in place it was time to fit in the harness bar...

It was now time to build the X, first piece...

Second piece...

Third piece...

and last piece...

and abit more bracing...

and done...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Guess i'll throw up a few updates for Christmas. 14 bolt is done, just need to secure the brake lines and hook em up to the calipers...

removed the exhaust and will be redoing/rethinking it in the spring. built some lower shock mounts and installed them with shocks...

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Now i can focus on the front, after alot of measurments and using the 44 as a template i started melting on brackets, passenger lower mount...

The drivers side wasn't so easy. I cut almost an inch off of the cast leaf mount to make some room, then cut out enough to properly place the lower mount. This time around I angled these mounts alittle higher as to not have them hanging down too low, the bolt holes are just below the center line of the axle tube...

Then fitted the upper 3rd link mount, even though the lowers are higher, this mount enabled me too maintain 8"s separation...

added a brace to lock it down...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Then i built the lower spring mounts and tacked those in place as well as tacked in the main piece to the track bar mount...

I fitted the axle under the jeep and everything is going to work, i did realize though that i won't be able to get away without cutting and turning the inner C's. So I removed the coil bruckets in order to do this and that's where it currently sits till the new year.

Impact

Looking good!

Got enough silicone on that 14B cover :flipoff:

What kind of numbers are you looking at getting for your knuckles?

Are you just going with a 3 link upper on passenger side? Any plans for a truss?

MERRY CHRISTMAS! :)

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I'm looking at moving them just 8 degrees so they sit at 7 degrees. As they are now the upper is slightly forward of the lower. I don't want it riding like a shopping cart, i should have done it with the 44 but never did. I haven't decided how the hydro ram will mount but i'm not worrying about that until the knuckles are on and tierod is installed but i may do something similar to what i did with the 44.

yes, just going with the 3 link upper on passenger side and no plans for a truss - this axle is beef, i won't need one.

How's all your stuff coming along?

P.S. didn't want the pig to leak :flipoff:

Impact

I'm not around right now so nothing is getting done... Probably going to try and do the king pins when I get home :banghead: I started a build thread on JK. When I get back can I swing by and we can talk about the caster for the 60?

No truss eh... Hm. There is an awesome thread on JK about mounting your ram :lmao: have you looked at any clearance issues with running the passenger upper link? Starter?

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I did all the clearance stuff when i put the 44 in, i'm not changing the suspension in any way (besides lower it an inch) it's pretty much staying the same and it worked very well. I read that thread - classic JK, it turned into silliness quick. I turned one side today - i'll do the other tomorrow. Stop by anytime.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Got the C's turned and burned in. was a bit of a pain in the ass but it's done. I set them at 5 degees. when i get some time my next move is to start the kingpin rebuild and install the knuckles.

Impact

Wow you made that sound so easy... Lol. Did you take the inner C off or just rotate it?

So you have decide to actually replace the king pin? If so don't run out looking to FIND and WASTE your money on a 7/8's Allen key... I just bought one yesterday :banghead: if you need it.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Nice! i might just take you up on that, mine should be replaced. I didn't take them off i just spun them. Not easy - i spent a rediculous amount on gas and O2 to get these guys hot enough to move with my little torch, then i had to take away more material then i thought i would to get all the weld off and spent a few hours with 2 sledges hammering top and bottom to get these bad boys to move. The passenger side wasn't too bad, it was the drivers side that was stuborn. My back is killin me from all the effort.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
i'll throw some updates up - finished all the brackets on the 60, she is now under the jeep for mocking up all the steering. Once i get high steer arms and rebuild the king pins i'll be building the hydro ram mount and all the steering linkage...

And got some bling in the mail yesterday - my 35 spline slugs