Build Project - SS Cherokee

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Well it's been a long time coming but I figured I might as well start a build thread. Now granted the XJ isn't stock but there are alot of changes coming to old blue in the near future as well as long term (after all is any rig ever "done"). First, this is how it sits currently:

So what is happening now? Well last...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So i'll start with the Dana 44. It's a 1979 Ford F150 Campers Special which means it's a 3/4 ton axle (thicker tubes) which is leaf sprung and has 3/4 ton steering. I will be keeping these bad boys full width (65 plus WMS to WMS). Tearing it down was to say the least a bit of a nightmare. With alot of cursing and swearing all the rusted solid components came off and the cleanup began - unfortunately I didn't document this but here's how it sits now with the T&T customs truss and brackets welded on:

The truss is a strong piece of kit fully welded in place with the tubes being welded as well as the C's being gusseted. I'm fairly confident that it'll be strong. I also got a Riddler cover:

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
My plan with this axle is to throw chomo shafts with HD U-joints, ARB air locker with 5.13 gears and hysteer (i'm sick of bending tie rods). I've ordered a passanger side Reid Racing flattop knuckle with their hysteer arms (should be here next week) and I cleaned up the stock Ford drivers side knuckle to match:

It's painted Chevy orange :D, which should match the Reid orange. You'll notice that I took the time to paint the calipers, i've had alittle friendly mocking from some buddies already about it but I figured I would make it look pretty to start with - god knows as soon as it's on the jeep it will never look pretty again!
Of course I plan on throwing the classic Warn Premium hubs on to her:

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

Are you satisfied with the TNT truss and mounts?

I have the same axle that will be getting built for the YJ and that was the route I was planning on taking.

The Panhard bar mount appears to be a a weird configuration. Is that something more custom than the standard style mount or have I been looking at my WJ over the axle bracket too long?

TIA

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Now to the rear, It's a big bearing Ford 9inch out of a late 70's Bronco/F150 (thanks Dirk for the housing!). I plan on running the stock 31 spline shafts for now with a mini spool:

Now it must be said that I absolutely despise drum brakes, hate them! So my plan was to convert to disc. Now, the dude I got tyhe majority of my 9inch stuff from had begun a disc conversion so I just carried on where he left off. So what does it consist of? Well - I'm not quite sure about the rotors but the calipers are... wait for it... Subaru. I'm guessing he chose these because he had them lying around and because they have an easy mechanical E-brake. It wasn't because they are cheap because they are certainly not:

I fab'd up the brackets which required alot of trial and error but they turned out great (well at least I think so, time on the trail will tell).

I've got a pinion guard on the way for the 9 too as we all know the pinion does hang alittle low on these axles. So here is a pic of all the "little" things I've been in and out of the parts store for in anticipation of putting these bad boys together:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So along with the hysteer arms I had to get a new pitman arm that didn't have as much drop as I am currently running and that had a longer bore to bore length in order to get full steering. With alot of research I aquired a 2004 WJ pitman arm as it has the right length:

So at this point I still have to order shafts, ARB, and gears with install kits (anybody have money tree seeds I can have to plant one?) but I will also have to plumb up the brakes and my plan is to upgrade my master cylinder with a Grand Cherokee one to compensate for the discs and as for my steering, I will be running 1 ton steering ends, TRE's to keep it okay for the street with DOM tubing.

In the long term I am looking at upgrading my steering box and pump and maybe, just maybe go with hydro assist! :D

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Are you satisfied with the TNT truss and mounts?

I have the same axle that will be getting built for the YJ and that was the route I was planning on taking.

The Panhard bar mount appears to be a a weird configuration. Is that something more custom than the standard style mount or have I been looking at my WJ over the axle bracket too long?

TIA

I love it, beefy and came with all the brackets already on it eliminating the math and measuring. The Panhard bracket is the way it is because it's configured for hysteer.

O.D.

Club Member
I have a trackbar & drop bracket all ready for a cherokee if interested? The trac bar was custom made by JCR in the States. The mount is very heavy duty and it used a adjustable hiem joint on the axle side and a bushing on the frame side.

Came with my axles that i bought as they were originally setup for a cherokee.

Nice setup BTW!!

O.D.

Club Member
Jesus.... We should swap rears!!! Mine's already setup for the rear of a cherokee. 5.13's/ARB, discs, U-Bolt eliminator kit, trussed, etc.....

I have to probably hack all the brackets off to make it fit my TJ!!!!!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Jesus.... We should swap rears!!! Mine's already setup for the rear of a cherokee. 5.13's/ARB, discs, U-Bolt eliminator kit, trussed, etc.....

I have to probably hack all the brackets off to make it fit my TJ!!!!!

holy smokes no doubt, looks like you got the axle I'm trying to build!

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I've got a tie rod and drag link from a high-steer D60 with 1 Ton TREs to get rid of if they are any use to you.
Part of the ORD High-steer kit my axle came with but I'm going full hydro

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I've got a tie rod and drag link from a high-steer D60 with 1 Ton TREs to get rid of if they are any use to you.
Part of the ORD High-steer kit my axle came with but I'm going full hydro

Yes I would be interested! How much are you asking?

Marek

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanks Dwayne - if you got room in your workshop in March or April I wouldn't mind bringin her over to start the install :D

Marek

Cochise

Looking good! Subscribed.

I gotta wonder about those Subaru calipers, though. I've run four different Subarus over the years, and the brakes were crap on all of them. They never seemed to be able to keep the pads in full surface contact with the rotors. Don't know if that's a function of the calipers, or their weak dual staged MC, though.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
not sure, it's something i'll have to experiment with - worse case I change to something else (can't be worse then drums though - can they?:D)

Cochise

not sure, it's something i'll have to experiment with - worse case I change to something else (can't be worse then drums though - can they?:D)

No doubt they're way better than drums, no contest. :D

A thought occurred to me, maybe they're the STI (Brembo?) calipers. Those are good.

I had slightly smaller calipers on the '05 Legacy GT (even though it only made 50 HP less than the STI), and they exhibited the same symptoms as all the other Subi brakes. :eek: