PROJECT - "Truck No More"

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Went back in to the Perth DMV with a letter that Andreas sent me, modified to my liking. First lady said what I want to do is not allowed. She passed me off to the 2nd lady who said the same thing but at least called the head office and got given instructions on how to do her job, a few minutes later and I finally have the buggy registered as an OHV!

About fucking time! :beer:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
nice! I still amazes me how much trouble guys run into to do this, my experience was easy (they had to call HQ too) but there are horror stories from guys down south that have been continuously turned away with the line "it isn't possible".

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
A couple times at spring fever, at extreme angles, the trans seemed to be slipping. I have not changed the fluid since the initial build so I dropped the pan:

The flash is making the fluid look worse than it is, but it is no longer nice and red and has some metal sludge in it. Pierre told me that metal sludge is normal and if there are chunks of metal then the torque converter would be going. No chunks...

So, as I was dropping the pan, swearing at GM engineers for not putting a fucking drain plug in the thing, I decided to order a deep pan, with plug.

I got this one, through Keith:

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bmm-30289/overview/

The extra fluid capacity is supposedly supposed to help with cooling, etc.

It comes with a new filter and a spacer to lower the filter:

Hopefully it clears the drive shaft at full stuff! ;)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Nice to see it included the spacer - I picked up the Derale one for the Dodge, and the spacer is apparently a separate item. It should certainly help with fluid starvation. Were you running at normal capacity already, or overfilled?

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I have read on pirate to overfill by 1 liter, but according to Pierre, that will cause overheating and foaming, no good... So nope, I was running at normal level and plan to do the same with this pan.

4x4Cruiser

Club Member
Adrian,

If you get oil seepage around the pan (caused by the nice shiny chrome) you'll have to rough up the gasket surface of the pan with a wire wheel or sandpaper.

I Usually use Permatex ultra black RTV Silicone for maximum oil resistance instead of a gasket.

Pierre

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Adrian,

If you get oil seepage around the pan (caused by the nice shiny chrome) you'll have to rough up the gasket surface of the pan with a wire wheel or sandpaper.

I Usually use Permatex ultra black RTV Silicone for maximum oil resistance instead of a gasket.

Pierre

Funny, I had read that RTV doesn't hold up to ATF, and to always use the gasket instead. Thanks for the tip Pierre!

4x4Cruiser

Club Member
Not any type of RTV because many are not oil compatible.

You can be assured you'll have no problems with Permatex ultra black.

Pierre

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Good to know Pierre! I finished filling it back up today, took it for a drive to warm up the trans, etc... Took a full 8 liters to fill it back up (not including the old stuff in the TC and the cooler/lines)

It shifts between 1st and reverse faster than before, so filter made a difference. (it is instant again)