PROJECT - "Truck No More"

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Lots of pics today, was in a pic mood...

rear floor tunnel all welded in:

Kid tested and approved!

My garage company for the day :)

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
For doing the wheel well, I started with a piece of 1" flat bar, bent in the shape I wanted:

Made a cardboard template:

Traced onto steel:

For cutting it out, I clamp a straight edge onto the steel and follow it with a cut off wheel:

You can get most of it that way, for the little things like the curve at the top in this pic:

I use the bench grinder, just grind off all the white paint:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Tack welded in:

on to the next piece!

For the sides that you can't hit with paint after, just paint the back - any you burn off with the welder is still better than nothing:

Tacked in:

Now just hit it with the flappy wheel on your grinder and get out your favorite tube of seam sealer before paint. :beer:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
On a side note, the tabs I got for the roof did not sit as flush as I liked, hit them with the grinder and they fit just right:

Now I just have to find a good place to mount the sword I made LOL

/joke

Function > Form

Club Member
Cool stuff - I love the step by step pics. I'm itching to get in the garage!! Damn house renos! Mind you, the port and cigarillos would still go well with the work I'm doing.......hmmmmmmm

My son will die when he sees the sword. He wanted to make one this year out of foam modeled after a game he is into (Xenoblade). He's 15.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Finished the tunnel:

Cut the old bikini top rail off and started welding the attachment points onto the roof for the aluminum roof:

But my welder died on me. If your welder blows breakers when pulling the trigger, it is one of the 4 diodes, just unbolt them one at a time to see which:

Luckily, this time it was the easiest to access - last time was the worst LOL

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Ordered the diodes from Newark, Received in 1 day! About $10.00 each + shipping.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Took apart the controller for the rear suck down winch and mounted the innards into the extra hole in the console - rewiring everything the way it should have been when I put it in in the first place ;)

Been repainting everything. All the back and sides done including replacing one of the broken rear brake lights. Also the floor, etc... (took all the panels off, sanded and painted both sides and re-attached)

I have gone through about $150 in gun metal duplicolour spray cans LOL

Tomorrow is to do the same thing to the front and start addressing some minor mechanical issues.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Got the front panels all done too. Missing some 1/4-20 Button heads to finish it off - the # I had to drill and re-tap was too high!

Next is to fix one rear caliper that is sticking and replace the starter :beer: