Project -XJ Evolution

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Wow - surprised that the long side (I think?) appears to be a non-neck down design. You sure have a nack for breaking things though.

V

valley dad

wow that's crappy that all that stuff is damaged , sorry to hear that man

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
The general population probably doesn't know you grenaded the snot out of the 300 in Cloyne. What was the name of the obstacle? Dead Stop? No, no, that's what you came to.....LoL.

Mitko

The G-Spot
Club Member
is there upgrade for the front output shaft? as far as I remember they are not the strongest ones and as such is a next weak link.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Yes there is an upgrade for the front shaft but apparently everybody's version has problems and they all jump out of gear so nobody uses them and nobody seems to break the stock ones.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well time to get posting about things I did last year :beer:

So I bought 2 suck down winches sometime in 2011 but never go them installed so in June of 2012 I finally installed the front one. I first used the factory cable which lasted for 1/4 of a Cloyne run.

So I bought a tow strap that NAPA had on sale for $15 as my thought was that it was way stronger and would not have as many wraps on the drum which would equal a greater pull.

Of course now I had to mount this strap so out came my favourite drilling tool in the world: the step drill bit. If you don't own a set of these watch for when Canadian Tire puts them on sale for $7.99 for a set of 3. They go through gauge and plate like butter, I have actually used them to go most of the way through 7/8" plate and then only have finish the last "steps" they leave. If you are going through anything thicker than 1/8" start a pilot hole but I have done 5/8" in the press without.
As you can see I also used them to cut material, just make sure you have the material clamped. Buy these!!!

Old door shim from the Cherokee, I never throw anything out lol

I wheeled all last year and this year with the strap and it works great, it did break on me this year but that was because with the new axles I routed it wrong on the new axles and I actually broke off the bolt I had it attached to when I cut it.
It would be nice to have a pulley to put less load on the $69 winch but I am able to pull the truck right down to the axle. The only problem I have is that sometimes it rolls back out as there is not much of a "brake" on it.

Was it a worthwhile upgrade? Absolutely once I started to finally remember to use it I find although it doesn't help most of the time there are those times when it makes the difference between getting over that really slick crest or something I have to remember to do more is level out your truck when you get twisted right up.
When I go to a 4-link front this winter I figure the new configuration will allow me to just use my main winch but I will be installing the rear one for those nasty straight down cliffs we seem to find.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
So I drove for a long time with no protection on my front clip and although I always tried to be careful, trees and rocks never cooperated. The pictures don't show how these were almost flat.

Started bending some tube

I had been thinking about this for a while and I think using the laser worked well to get an idea of where things were going to sit

I love my compound angles, nothing easy for me.

Oh and I had to make room in the wheel well on both sides as I was always rubbing there. One of them was under the battery but was just wasted space anyway.

[/URL]

More laser, more cutting, more welding

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Then at some point my steering was pissing me off so I installed full hydro on June 27 and 28 since I was going to Rausch Creek for the July long weekend :flipoff:

Bend some tube, weld on some plate, drill holes sort of close:

Of course there is always more to it, like making the orbital fit your stock shaft, hee hee I said shaft

Cut down my old drag link and repurpose it as little tie rods, hee hee I said rods

Oh yeah and get my hose made, hee hee I said hose

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Ok right this year, got myself a pair of D60's

Set up a little differently on the rear with air bags it was.

High steer set up for leafs with double tie rods

Oh and the first one is with the pallet and the second one is just the pallet, so a D60 rear weights 162 kgs

A lot of wheel well there with 33" rollers

Measuring up the pinion angle with the nifty level that CTC puts on sale all the time at 50% off, very handy

Putting the front coil buckets on:

Sitting on the back waiting on the front

Shiny new PSC hydro and really nice Artec ram mount.
Thanks Marek for pointing me in the right direction on that one

Traded in my D44 RCV's for "Big Boy" axle shafts. Yeah 60's are a little bit bigger as that is the old D44 bell cover sitting inside the D60

Axle in place and happy

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Hey Dwayne,

came across this pic and falls into what we were discussing the other day - it's a rendering from an IBEX chassis...

1158490d1388682262-ibex-goat-chassis-opinion-goatbuilt-t-case.jpg