Project -XJ Evolution

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Ok I have been actually working on this lately, trying to get all the stuff I have lying around in the garage that have bought for it literally over the years put on. I installed a suckdown winch the other day and on my first time out promptly ripped my cable clamps right off. How do you guys know/remember to let enough cable out so that when you are going down the trail you have enough slack there?

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
3 wheel drive on the Gorge caused me to be mad and drive like a tard and then break my tie rod, not bend but break in 2.
Well I pulled the hub off of the driver side I found that the Warn hub;s retaining clip had expanded and had let the clutch pop out. Oh I said good that is my problem not the locker. I also took the other side part to confirm that I had both hubs correct and actually had to go to Napa who gave me a new set up hubs per Warn's warranty. Nice, I actually only took the clips off the new hubs as my outers are kind of marked from badly placed rocks on the trail and I didn't want them claiming abuse.
Put both sides back together, wheel back on driver side and..........grrrr a skipping side still.
So then I took both sides completely apart, inspected RCV shafts with nothing wrong with them and pulled the Grizzly which doesn't show anything apparently as stripped splines.
So then I semi put it back together so I could watch the Grizzly and shaft spin and put it in front wheel drive with one tire on to see what was going on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATXexjsyUM&list=UUO9abV_R7LnN5GaLOCScNtw&index=2&feature=plcp

That noise is not my engine or exhaust but the noise of a Grizzly skipping.
Nice, I look up warranty and it is 1 year. Hmmmmm 2 years old I will be talking to them. The Detroit in the back I have had for 4 years and the guy before me had it for years including time under a Jeep with 37's and he was a WOT guy and he bought it used.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
hmmm, odd that the grizzly would be done after so short a time - i've never read anything negative about them, till now that is

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
That blows - I finally got my Grizzly installed (outside of the 1 year warranty) after having the same thing happen with the Lock-Rite that was in there, except both sides skipped like that with the Lock-Rite. I was hoping that the Grizzly would hold up better than the Detroit after all the horror stories of a broken shaft wiping out the locker.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Sorry I just got a call from my original vendor who said to pull the video and my part is on it's way. He needs it done so he will get paid for the part. So no public video.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well besides breakage I guess I haven't really show anything I have done in the last year
I was tired of my rear bump stops not really doing anything except compressing and then banging into the metal so I bought some Timbren's and installed them first on the top and was hoping that they would also act as a spring retainer.

That did not work as it the spring would pull the washer through the top of the Timbren on full extension. Luckily it did no damage each time so I made spring retainers for the top so that it would stay on even when the spring was on that crazy angle I get when in obstacles like Twisted Staircase

I like how much they absorb bumps that I put one on the centre of my axle in the front as well. I will try and get a pic of that up.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Yes those ones, I actually went to the online catalogue and chose mine by size. If you my there kit's they can be quite expensive but the Timbrens themselves were only about $50 or so. I got mine ordered in at Benson's

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well I had some carnage at RC, one of my front shafts stopped spinning so we pulled it apart after hours as I couldn't seem to get the axle shaft in far enough to get the RCV bell around it which turned out that I twisted the splines on both ends of the 300M shafts. When we finally got it apart we found a cracked spring retaining ring in the Grizzly so we welded it up as best we could and I put it all back together except from spindle out which I finished in the morning. Backed up and still no wheel spin on that side, bah so I went out to wheel in 3 wheel drive and didn't get very far until the other side quit but in a different way as the 1st side looks it wants to turn (vibrating in the direction it is supposed to go) but the second side just stopped turning altogether. So I mostly bombed around on the greens and blues to do some spotting, then I led us down a black to get to Otter's way and was doing really good until I sheared the high steer arm bolts off on one side. I moved hydro linkage to the normal mounting point which was still tapered as I have never run normal steering on those knuckles so I "self-tapped" my 3/4" bolt in the taper and drove it out.

So with all that carnage I am going to have to fix I see that they have a smoking deal on a Warn 9.0Rc that some guy bought and said it wouldn't fit his bumper mount (yeah I know I would have used a drill too) and he would have to buy a new bumper but it was 1/2 price so when I told Connie that she said well that's a deal so you have to buy it :beer:

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/9.0Rc.shtml

Last edited: