Project -XJ Evolution

D

Dirk

Pretty common part I think. The ones on my cut- off saw look the same.
I had it rebuilt once at the electric motor place in Renfrew. Ernie's Electric Motors, 432-4544, I think.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Thanks Dirk, I looked at some of the motors in my garage but couldn't find anything like it though I am sure I do have something else that I have checked the brushes on.

Oh and for those of you that think I am dogging it here is a pic of where I am so far with my program and the tubes I have made. And there is some triangulation you friggin Euclidean Nazis. :flipoff:

Lol Adrian I usually post those because I am getting pissed off and figure somebody should get some enjoyment out of my torment LOL :beer:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Alright finally getting somewhere, well but now I have to pull all the seats in order to weld the new tube :banghead:
I am starting to think I might actually get wheeling this year though :beer:

S

Steve B

I thought you were getting all creative with the door bars ? Guess you didn't need NASA to design those,lol, Looks good NutJob :)

Impact

Damn that's alot of tube!

It's turning into a beast.

I like how you made the tranny/tcase access panels. Good idea.

Sticking with the 36's? The rear looks like a pretty big wheelwell.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Setup for bigger axles and tires, I am so happy to be almost ready to wheel I am not even thinking about when I want to do that lol.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Wow it's been a long time since I have posted, this 40+ hours a week between the XJ, YJ, Bus, Connie's Magnum and lawn care equipment just left me with no energy to sit down and post at the end of an evening.

Well here is some pretty cool pieces that my sweetheart of a wife made out cardboard to fit these very difficult corners. I will have to say she is much better at seeing these things than I am. I was able to trace them with the plasma and then with minor trimming just pound them into place and burn in. I would like her to help more but I don't think that is going to happen :lmao:

So I sold my bumper as for what I doing with the XJuggy now it was too cumbersome. I managed to take 6" off the front of the truck, I did lose 1.5" vertical but out on the trail it has not been a problem. And yes I know it is fugly, so I will just have to be creative to blend it. :p

I also took my winch apart to move the lever from the top to the front and give it some much needed maintenace. I was surprisingly simple to do and in reality the inside of the winch is not as daunting as you would think, just a bunch of gears.

Connie was so excited to actually seem the damn truck, I mean beloved XJ roll out for the July long weekend she took all sorts of pictures, I won't bore you with them all

Last edited:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Well there was input about how the torque might rip the perch mounts out of the axle tube, well that hasn't been an issue.....yet but I did manage to bend the 2.75x.75 plate like it was butter within no time on Canada Day. So I drove home Saturday morning and manhandled everything into place in my little press, with the the end of the V propped up on stands and the press cranked up so it was almost vibrating and then put a tremendous amount of heat to it and just when I thought it wasn't going to go it straightened out. Then I repeated for the other side. That was a lot of work for being away on a long weekend :shock:

Then I cut in half what I had left of the .75" plate (about 1.375") and welded it on edge to the sides. It looks like after the last time I was out that it has a wow in it so I am gusseting some more. :banghead: and will probably look at putting a $10 set of Mopar purches on the bottom and tying them into the top.

Well I went out July long weekend with intentions of only using my winch in an emergency and an emergency happened. :p The rope took a bit of a beating as I didn't have a hawse in place but now I don't have to worry about being careful with it because it is new. :lol: One thing I noticed is how places where it piled up with out guidance is that it became almost totally flat, is this normal for rope?

Made a removable bumper because that is the only way to get the winch out of there.

D

Dirk

Plans for grille/lights protection? Stinger?
Bumper looks nicely tucked in. do you have a side view?
Tow points? Tucked in would be uber cool, so they dont snag on anything.

What are you doing so the plate doesnt bend again? Stiffing brace 90 degree to the the bend point?

I think the flattening of the rope is normal.

Just reread this thread from the start, slow morning at work, damn I miss wrenching.

YJ build thread in the works? Helping a guy here with one and need inspiration.

Last edited:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
When I built my D44 originally I had pulled the tubes out of a Chev axle and cut them down and put them into a Ford HP, one of the problems was that the cut down tubes did not have recesses for the axle shaft oil seals so my machine shop chucked the whole C into the lathe and made one, they did not do anything wrong as it fit the shoulder of the seal perfectly but it should have been deeper as the aftermarket chomoly's typically have longer splines cut.

So those of you that wheel with me know I am always leaking oil on that side and conversely always have water in that differential.

I had looked at it last year when I installed the Grizzly but still couldn't figure out how to lengthen the seating surface so when I pulled my front axle to fix it this weekend I went at it again. I could not find a hole saw the right size but with a surprisingly small amout of effort because of these great tools:
1. a deburr tool from my local welding shop $59 but worth every penny as it lasts for years so long as you don't abuse it
2. flapper wheels which are also fairly pricey but they are amazing as I can even shape weld with them.
3. Die grinders, they are as useful in building stuff as the welder and the plasma.

I was able to move the seal quite far inboard. Although it is not perfectly machined (it is a nice tight fit and sealed well) and I may consider doing this outboard to keep all the mud and dirt out of my outer tubes.

I was wondering when I was doing it that there was not much material going into the diff housing, apparently it was blowing out the end all over everything I had lying there. :banghead:

This is a pic of my mangled slinger. I have had this twice in a D30 and now twice in my D44's does anybody know what causes this?

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Plans for grille/lights protection? Stinger?
Bumper looks nicely tucked in. do you have a side view?
Tow points? Tucked in would be uber cool, so they dont snag on anything.

What are you doing so the plate doesnt bend again? Stiffing brace 90 degree to the the bend point?

I think the flattening of the rope is normal.

Just reread this thread from the start, slow morning at work, damn I miss wrenching.

YJ build thread in the works? Helping a guy here with one and need inspiration.

Holy crap just finally finished catching up posting to yesterday's work and I have 12 hours of work to do today I will get your to your requests ASAP my poor 4x4 deprived friend but I do leave for Rausch on Wednesday and for some reason seem to have a lot left to do, very unlike me really.
I would really like to miss wrenching right about now, at least for a few months lol.

:beer::beer::beer:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Anybody who runs D44, D50 or D60 no about these stupid needle bearings in the spindle, they are fine for your mostly on road 4x4 but anybody who runs in mud and dirty water knows the seals don't do crap and every year when you open them back up they are seized solid and you are thankful you haven't wrecked your axle stub. This year I have to do because the seals were gone in the Excursion and yay more fun.

Then to get them out :pissed: as you can't get a chisel or punch on the stupid little lip which is too small for a slide hammer or bearing pry bar so you end up chiselling them out or as I have started doing grinding them with the deburr tool which is hard not to get into the inside of the spindle with.

While looking for upgrades I came across these at Bobby Long's site even though he seems to not sell anything but Toyota stuff now otherwise, must be old stock.

BLING ALERT!

Damn it my press is not long enough to take my bearings off the long side, well I MacGyvered it almost except I just bend those 2 square tubes, new bearings tomorrow to finish the other side.

Passenger done though.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Bobby has been selling those for a while, he also sells D60 drive flanges. The only other non Yota stuff he sells.