Sirius Black- Sidekick/IFS project

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Firestone Destination AT's for anything I DD - talk to Mitko for pricing. Been great for treadwear and awesome in the snow/ice.

R

ROUGHcrawl

I have given alot of thought to having 2 sets of tires, even found some 31" ish toyo winters that I have considered. Then save for real nice summer meats.

R

ROUGHcrawl

I've been driving it everyday for a little over a week, still really happy with it, I think I can call it a success (knocks on wood). This weekend I'm going to focus on the 4x4 and fenders just in case we get snow. I'll try and get a flex shot somewhere too. As awesome as this project has been I want it done and out of the way so I can focus on my engine rebuild. Then once the engine is running and the tranny and dual cases are all together I'll do the swap maybe even before the snow melts. Next summer I'm going to start on an IFS with a toyota setup front diff, that will bolt in place of my current system and use the same A-arms, I'll get to try my hand at making knuckles too!! When that's ready I'll swap the front diff and rear axle. Long term goals for sure, but I want to make a system that can be fairly universal.

R

ROUGHcrawl

No real updates other then finally getting all the parts I need for my front diff. I'll be regearing and installing my front 3rd soon. I've also collected some more parts for the engine and tranny swap. Picked up a marlin dual case adapter attached to a 23 spline rear case, other then the clutch my tranny and cases are ready to go together. Just checking things off the list and collecting parts until my shop is free to do the work. It's also time to start tracking down toyota axle stuff for my axle and diff swap next year. I need to find 1 complete rear axle, a rear 3rd with same gears and 2 axle shafts to go with it. Round 2 of the ifs will be toy parts and the kick one will be sold.

trukie

Zooklounge Crawler
Club Member
I have Tim's complete Toy IFS front and an IFS rear in my Barn. Contact Captainfitz on the Forum to see if he wants to get rid of it.

R

ROUGHcrawl

Thanks Trukie,

I've already tracked down a rear and spare 3rd with shafts, all I need now is the CVs, knuckles and hubs. I think I'll get in touch with Tim!

R

ROUGHcrawl

IT HAS 4X4!!!! I'll get the poser shots out of the way first, keep in mind that my front isn't flexed out. Tape measure says 6" of travel left up front, while the rear is maxed. Check out the fenders, Garth Fisher formed them for me and tacked them in, I have to weld and paint etc still but I love um.

So I started by building my third, its a Sami rear chunk, kick front carrier, kick rear side gears (for the 26 spline), all regear to kick 5.13:1 gears. Handy tip for building diffs adjuster wrench comes with your grinder!

I'll throw in some pics I took of the front diff housing, its a sami rear center section, cut and the sides closed in using the flanges cut off kick front spindles. This gives me a nice bushing at the edge of the housing to support the shaft also allows me to easily use kick outer stubs at the center too. They are 26 spline and they also have a better travel range.

The extended shafts are cut and keyed together, welded, then sleeved with a tube cut in half lengthwise so it could be welded to the shaft along the length of the sleeve. 4000 rpm clutch drops in 4 low on gravel, spins all four no failure. So it might hold up.

Then I extended the drive shaft. Stock shaft is basically 1.5" o.d. 0.120" wall tube, so I cut it and sleeved on some 1.75"o.d. 0.120" wall DOM. The sleeve goes full length yoke to yoke. then double pass welded.

First pass

Second pass

Lots of body work and gusseting to do, but she runs and its great so I'll slowly tackle the odd stuff that remains.

SPECS.

Lower arm pivot angle 3* from horizontal.
Upper arm pivot angle 13* from horizontal. prevent brake dive
Castor 12* at ride height
Chamber -1* at ride height
12" of travel restricted by shocks and bumps
Lower arm length 22" pivot to pivot
Upper arm length 19" pivot to pivot

Coils, 94 f-150 2wd with a 302 approx 360psi spring rate
shocks, monroe 37044 approx 10.5" travel

And BOOM, but wait there will be more!!!!

R

ROUGHcrawl

Time for some updates, I've done lots of work just been too busy to post. It happens I guess.
First off is inner fenders and mud flaps. I bought some old conveyor belt rubber 4'x10', 3/16" thick for $5 from a salvage yard and made these.

and closed in my front fender wells also.

Flex shot

We went to Lavant with Logan

Then I did a bunch of fab work for others.

We lifted my buddies jeep, yes I'm trying to get him to join the club.

Now he has 33"s

I changed up my steering wheel, just cause, I recycled old diff parts in the process.

There is more but I need to get better pictures before i give those updates.

R

ROUGHcrawl

So I have a couple little updates! Light bars!

Then I got my motor in the shop and tore it down.

Then this happened. Lost alternator/ water pump belt, pulled over and using only a tire iron I managed to swap the power steering belt over to the alt and get home.

I also reinforced my rockers and body mounts, but I don't have pics of it yet. Then I started sourcing parts for my engine rebuild. Getting one of these bad boys for sure!! But the stubby version.

I also started the design for my new IFS cradle that will be the home for a toyota rear third. A bunch of parts to source for this but this but the cradle it self will be cake.

I have been giving serious thought to an SAS lately, mainly to be able to repair it more easily, and have a more reliable front end. Its a real tough choice to make.

R

ROUGHcrawl

YA!! One of the best investments I've made even for daily driving.

R

ROUGHcrawl

Actually my current setup runs sidekick spindle bushings and seals at the diff and factory knuckles etc at the wheel. The new Toyota system will have bearings a and seals at the diff, then Toyota cvs, running through kick knuckles.

R

ROUGHcrawl

Haha Matt you're one of a few people that have said that lol. I love the ifs, it handles well, travel is decent, and it is unique. But on a DD/weekend warrior/camping rig its worrisome because repairs are in depth custom jobs which can suck on a Sunday night. The engine swap will add weight and I'm adding tube which will add weight, with an SAS repairs are easy and I can get the new engine down lower for a better COG. But also the toy axles are much tougher, which is great because when we camp we have 450-500lbs of people and dogs in the kick and tow a trailer of all our gear.

Now with all that being said, the IFS isn't going to waste, I have the sidekick that I built the IFS under just sitting in my yard beggin for a front end. So I'm gonna throw IFS under it, it runs and can now be easily reborn. It's a convertible so I'll likely turn it into a mini pickup and it will be dedicated for bashing and smashing. Plus it's auto so my wife can wheel it.

So at the end of it all I'll have a super dependable DD/WW/camping rig and then a dedicated trailered rig to break for fun.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
For tinkering and fun, I'd stick IFS.

For reliability and parts availability, I'd go SAS.

R

ROUGHcrawl

That's exactly it Kevin, so I plan to SAS my DD and Ifs the spare for tinkering and bashing. Best of both worlds.