The Start of the 4Runner Build

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Thanks, forgot about them myself :eek:
Don't worry about anymore, it's amazing the freedom you get when you ditch the body :D

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Steve, that front cross member, the one with the holes in it (from the factory). Will you be replacing it? If you are, can you cut two and I'll buy it from you? Mine is rotted out, a little worse then yours. And at some point I must have had a pretty good side tug on it as it's kinked a bit and brought the frame rail in. I noticed because my body mount wasn't sitting perpindicular to the frame, it was the leaning tower of Pisa. Anyway, I need to replace it, and don't have acess to the tools to cut said piece. Any help?

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Whatever fits works for me. SInce I saw that his is in need of replacement, just asking him to cut 2. Of course, you'll be compensated. :beer:

D

Dirk

Why not replace it with a 2"x3"x3/16 or 1/4 wall tube? Then you could add a good pull point at the front.
:smokin:

Thats what I did for mine.

I think Steve is thinking of not replacing it, instead leave it out to push the winch back further.

If you need one Terry, i can cut one for you though. if you have a look at it closely , you'll see that it doesn't sit between the rails. The frame rails are notched and the "crosser" sit all the way in the frame. So removing it is a bit of work. Have a look at yours and give me a lenght and I'll cut some tube to fit.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Thats what I did for mine.

I think Steve is thinking of not replacing it, instead leave it out to push the winch back further.

If you need one Terry, i can cut one for you though. if you have a look at it closely , you'll see that it doesn't sit between the rails. The frame rails are notched and the "crosser" sit all the way in the frame. So removing it is a bit of work. Have a look at yours and give me a lenght and I'll cut some tube to fit.

I did see that mine goes flush to the frame, but here is my problem, my frame is bent because that cross did not hold up during a pull sometime in it's life. Think you could give me a close cut via Steve's measurement. Otherwise I need to cut mine out and pull the frame out to what 'looks' right.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Geez, I hope Steve doesn't expect Dwayne to work on the truck too often. Looks like he can barely reach in the engine bay!

S

Steve B

New winch plate

Yes I'm reinforcing that area and incorporating a new winch plate/mounting area,,,,thick steel,,,,i'll show you how mine is made in the end and you can decide if you want me to make you one as well and we'll replace yours as well :beer:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
My plan is to keep the stock front bumper for now. Then either build a hidden receiver mount for a receiver mounted winch, or a bumper from trail gear. Unless someone wants to fab something similar, but for $450 CAD...

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Geez, I hope Steve doesn't expect Dwayne to work on the truck too often. Looks like he can barely reach in the engine bay!

Yeah, yeah
The way it is currently sitting there isn't too many that could reach in. And I have a step ladder in my garage.
:flipoff:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
So what Trail Gear kit did you go with? The 5"? How are you matching it in the rear? I've been given the green light to SAS the 'Runner, if I get rid of the Sami. So now I must choose. I really like the 'runner for its room and creature comforts. I think it could be built for double duty (mid trails & daily city driver) with little issue. SAS and 36's? Or IFS and 35's, and build the Sami? Decisions, decisions. Sorry to hijack!

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
So what Trail Gear kit did you go with? The 5"? How are you matching it in the rear? I've been given the green light to SAS the 'Runner, if I get rid of the Sami. So now I must choose. I really like the 'runner for its room and creature comforts. I think it could be built for double duty (mid trails & daily city driver) with little issue. SAS and 36's? Or IFS and 35's, and build the Sami? Decisions, decisions. Sorry to hijack!

Buy that 1st gen for $1000, SAS and swap your drivetrain :)

Then you have a removable roof :smokin::smokin:

S

Steve B

I'm going 4" front and 5 " rear cause they say so,,,may be a little high for a while but I think it will settle down a bit once I get my bumpers made and all my misc add on's in the next few years.....I want at least 35-36's but narrow 12.5 until I get my axles, but not sure when that will be