231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
UPDATE: Everything between the beginning and ending **** IS LIES!! I would like to blame my evil twin or ISIS but I can't :(
Starting to think a doubler may be too ambitious for a TJ without Extended wheelbase

Although it is about an inch shorter than a stock SYE, in the picture above the measurement is about 12". I did the same measurement on my 231 and it is 8.5".
That is 3.5" longer than what I have now. Either it is going to get really stupidly expensive to shorten the length by just an inch by getting a 32 spline output or I am thinking I may just go with just the Dana 300 and get the 4:1. May have to think about what to do
Extending the wheelbase is not an option.

Ignore what I had above. I went and grabbed a flashlight and looked again and remeasured. It isn't that bad. I found the actual front of the Transfer Case and measured back to the middle of the actual yoke. It was 17" (ish since I can't get a flat line and trying to get it to sit between the TC and the edge of the transmission), I then did the same thing with the doubler and it is about the same. It's all good. I was expecting the whole thing to be about an Inch longer. it also looks like the Dana 300 Yoke sits closer to the output housing than the SYE does by at least 1/4-1/2" so that helps

That said, I now have a hole about 2-3" across on the passenger side channel that the front body mount is. Looks like it rotted away. Might deal with it before winter but I think I may just sit on it until spring. It isn't close enough to the actual body mount which seems to have reinforcing around it.

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I remember when we were tearing JP's TJ down and I couldn't believe how short the rear driveshaft is on those things so I can just imagine how much shorter it'll be with the doubler.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah reread what I posted it isn't as bad as I thought.
P.s, we need a strikeout font

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
One thing i didnt account for was a flip ring for the 231 that adds 3/8" to its overall length. Also i have been talking to Jess at High Angle Driveline and he doesnt think it will work. I emailed Tom Wood to see what he says. My meaurements were half assed yesterday as it is hard to measure the installed tc with thenskid in place. But if it was about an inch or so longer plus almost 1/2" it may be too tight now.
That said, getting the 32 spline rear output from Novak would gain back 3/4 of an inch but that is an expensive 3/4".
Depending on what Tom Wood says i may have a doubler and 231 case for sale.

Also my driver side front body mount has a crack in it.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks Logan (I think as it was looking like it might not happen).
Well here is an update. Using my wife's measuring tape (it never happened I will deny it) I was able to get an accurate measurement. The metal tape measure doesn't follow the countour so you are guestimating. Also it was hard to get the front placed right because it kept shifting since the skid is on. With a sewing measuring tape I got it stuck on and measured
231 with Teraflex SYE from where it mates on the AX15 to the yoke: 17"
231/300 Doubler: 19.2 inches

I had contacted High Angle and Jesse wasn't too optimistic about it. I had also contacted Tom Wood and he got back to me and said it should be doable as they make driveshafts down to like 10".

I am thinking I will continue moving forward and get a new shorty driveshaft built by TW. If (big if) it doesn't work then look at getting the Novak 32 spline output. I got confirmations from Novak that from the case to the center of the u-joint it measures 4.6". Right now the stock measures out to 6.5". THinking about it I am almost tempted to go with the 32 spline.

Thoughts?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Right now the angle is about 15*, if I shorten the driveshaft it becomes 17*, that in itself is not a huge deal, I have heard of jeeps with 4" lift and tummy tucks with that angle.
The thing I am concerned about with a shorter drive shaft is the amount of articulation at full droop and the possibility of the shaft separating.
It might be a case of install it, take out rear springs and articulate the shaft from full stuff to full droop and see where we are at.
I might be able to get away with just cutting the rear driveshaft shorter
Either way I now have options.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Right now the angle is about 15*, if I shorten the driveshaft it becomes 17*, that in itself is not a huge deal, I have heard of jeeps with 4" lift and tummy tucks with that angle.
The thing I am concerned about with a shorter drive shaft is the amount of articulation at full droop and the possibility of the shaft separating.
It might be a case of install it, take out rear springs and articulate the shaft from full stuff to full droop and see where we are at.
I might be able to get away with just cutting the rear driveshaft shorter
Either way I now have options.

Center limiting strap - done.

If you're even thinking about the 32spl output, do it now, especially if it saves you 2 inches (if I read that correctly).

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Good idea.
I am thinking of going that way rather than shorter drive shaft.
Cons:
Cost as I need to get the output, a speedo sensor and the adapter

Pros:
stronger output Which isn't really a benefit but still a pro
I may be able to keep my existing driveshaft

Limiting strap is a great idea!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Nothing much other than I got the 231 back from getting it welded shut. I was going to work on it yesterday but I kind of got detained...

Anyways it is pretty much ready minus what to do with the shifters. The rumor is that they were being shipped this week but NWF didn't have a tracking number yet.

Looks like total size height wise is about 13" at its tallest. I have 11" or so. I may have to do some massaging.
That will be for spring.

K

KBjeep

Try Ottawa driveshaft and steering. Eric is an off rd guy. He can build one or shorten a front shaft for $60 +/-

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Ivwas going to go there first when I get to that point. That said Tom Wood usually will modify ones they built for the cost of shipping however shipping it back to him may be more expensive than getting it done here.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Since the 300 is going to have be flipped for Driver side, the 231 will have to be flipped as well. I plugged up the old vent over the weekend and will be tapping it for a new vent. The other thing I will have to do with it is tap the backing plate as it has the existing fill will be too low now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Pretty much decided to go with the HD Output from Novak. Better off not reducing drive shaft length. Putting order in shortly.