Family SxS 4wd Buggy

daaboots

Yeah the shocks will be mounted to the upper arms so no load on the lower arms.

A-Arm video is now up on YouTube!

junkpile

I'm lovin the updates. It's a good thing your labour is free, I can't imagine the hours you'll have into this build. Nicely kitted shop by the way.

daaboots

Finished one of the front upper a-arms. Should have the rest finished by the end of the week.

I also picked up some new stuff for my mill from Cardon Tools. New cutters, vise, and index head!

daaboots

The a-arms are finally complete! Felt like the never ending job!

Finished the rack, diff, and winch mount.

Next video will be up soon.

Next job is to lengthen the axles.

daaboots

I finished the inner bearing bronze bushings. It's a nice snug fit when you press all the parts into the suspension arms.

Started to mock up the axles. Next up is cutting splines!

daaboots

Cutting my own axles! I had planned on purchasing some custom built axles from a guy in the USA, but the Canadian dollar is so low right now it really made me think twice. I looked around and found a used SAJO indexing head in order to cut my own splines. I had borrowed an indexing head before from my Uncle, but he always borrows it from work and I didn't want to bug him again. It was an expensive purchase, but it was about half the cost of the custom axles and now I'll have this machine for the rest of my life.

Turning the 4340 axle shaft.

The new index head!

Turned out great and fit nice and snug.

So far the two front axles are done and now I'm working on the rear.

daaboots

Finally finished making all the axles. That was a lot of splines!

I also picked up a power steering kit to help make the ride a bit more pleasant.

And for your viewing pleasure, the next video is up!

junkpile

Is that a universal p/s kit? Looks very adaptable, cool
Is it this one?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460221448.671482.jpg
Pricey

Last edited:

daaboots

The motor and controller are probably universal. I bought the RZR 800 version to match the rack I'm using.

NRTYota

Club Member
Build looks sweet. Wish I had your setup at home.

Have one question? why did you go with 4340 for your axles instead of 300m, just wondering?

NRTYota

Club Member
It is essentially a modified 4340, just stronger. It is what long field axle are made of. We make high strength bolts out of it at work, machines very nice.

daaboots

It is essentially a modified 4340, just stronger. It is what long field axle are made of. We make high strength bolts out of it at work, machines very nice.

Good to know. If I ever break an axle I'll look into 300m.

Do you guys do any heat treating at your shop? I need to get these axles hardened now.