Logan redneck/backyard/halffast build...

bradleyfitz

Club Member
The hack 'n tap is definitely a cost effective way of doing it ... $100 + a driveshaft and bob's your uncle. I prefer the SYE myself, but it will run you 2x the cost, if not more.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Thats looks to be my delema now... $100 to lengthen my driveshaft, or $100 for hack n tap + driveshaft...

Cochise

The hack 'n tap is definitely a cost effective way of doing it ... $100 + a driveshaft and bob's your uncle. I prefer the SYE myself, but it will run you 2x the cost, if not more.

I prefer the SYE too. I just couldn't bring myself to try the hack & tap. Always worried about getting that hole dead centre. You should look around for used or unused SYE out there. I got mine from a guy that never installed his. Happens quite a bit.

D

DoctorPhate

the hole doesnt actually have to be DEAD center, just cant be visibly off. Easiest way to do a hack and tap is take off the DS, put the vehicle up on stands in 2wd run it in reverse then cut where you marked, it'll make a perfectly square cut. Then turn off the vehicle, put the plate on, mark the hole with a punch through the center hole then drill and tap.

The bolt at the end in the middle there doesnt center it or keep it level, the splines do. The hole at the end is just there to hold the plate onto the output shaft.

Cochise

the hole doesnt actually have to be DEAD center, just cant be visibly off. Easiest way to do a hack and tap is take off the DS, put the vehicle up on stands in 2wd run it in reverse then cut where you marked, it'll make a perfectly square cut. Then turn off the vehicle, put the plate on, mark the hole with a punch through the center hole then drill and tap.

The bolt at the end in the middle there doesnt center it or keep it level, the splines do. The hole at the end is just there to hold the plate onto the output shaft.

Yeah, I read that off the interwebs too. Have you actually done one? If you haven't, maybe someone who has can chime in.

R

Root Moose

I've done it (97+ NV242). Screwed up the hole and it is offset a touch from what I'd like. I've had it up to ~100 km/h so far and it runs smooth though. The front end shimmy due to caster and running unbalanced Intercos above 100 km/h is another matter.

D

DoctorPhate

I did one on a 97+ 242 aswell. I followed that exact guide and it worked perfect. I was in the same boat as Root Moose with regard to the center hole being off center. Mine was off just a touch but everything worked perfectly, he ran it up to 120km/h with zero vibes.

Cochise

I did one on a 97+ 242 aswell. I followed that exact guide and it worked perfect. I was in the same boat as Root Moose with regard to the center hole being off center. Mine was off just a touch but everything worked perfectly, he ran it up to 120km/h with zero vibes.

Well, first of all, I'm impressed you actually did something, instead of talking out of your ass.

Second, if Root Moose says he was worried about being off center, he probably meant he was out 1 thou. of an inch.

Still, good info that being out a bit on the H&T isn't causing much vibes.

Last edited:
D

DoctorPhate

And now I remember why I stopped coming around here. Too many douche bags.

T

troy0873

Hey saw your rig on the 417 yesterday morning by Moodie looks good

R

Root Moose

if Root Moose says he was worried about being off center, he probably meant he was out 1 thou. of an inch.
LOL!!! So true!!!!

Obviously my standards are slipping - might have been a tenth and at 87˚!

Edit: Seriously though, it is visibly out. I was worried about vibes because of it but there are none.

Last edited:

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
I decided...i think...to extend my stock ds, and do some sort on sye in the spring. Unless I find one for like $50...
Now you think is I welded in a sleeve/extension, then balanced it, I would get away with it, or should I just pay and get it done???

szabotage

I decided...i think...to extend my stock ds, and do some sort on sye in the spring. Unless I find one for like $50...
Now you think is I welded in a sleeve/extension, then balanced it, I would get away with it, or should I just pay and get it done???

I usually just make my own driveshafts by cutting the welds with a grinder and replacing with a longer tube of the same inner diameterand also a thicker wall too. never had an issue with balancing since the tube usually fits snug. even if your weld isn't consistent the whole way around I never had a noticable issue with wobbles. if it's the front your better off since your front axle has manual hubs and shouldn't see any 4wd duty on highways to worry bout wobbles. you can even make your own 2 piece driveshafts using square tubing. it's been done and proven to work without any issues.

szabotage

whoops I just realized you don't have manual hubs. if your front diff is air actuated, you should be able to make your front shaft without balancing issues