Logan redneck/backyard/halffast build...

Baja

No it is not a air locker it is a Detroit. So yes the shaft will be turning all the time and will need to be balanced.

szabotage

I meant an air actuated inner hub release system that is engaged when put in 4wd, not an air locker. it will release the RnP/driveshaft from spinning except the axle shafts. as far as I know some jeeps had it and some blazers as well. which years, I don't know. either way, building a ghetto fabbed driveshaft that won't wobble can be done. if you need a hand, I don't mind helping.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
if I find a chunk of tube tomorrow, ill do the rear shaft. If not, ill wait till my buddy can lengthen the shaft. He also said he might be able to build one of those hack and tap thinggymajigs... He is commin over tomorrow to take measurements, and see what he can do.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
ran into an issue... despite people on s10 forums saying you can just change to an np-231...they failed to mention the stock drive shaft no longer fits...

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Well i am hoping that one guy I know pulls threw and has a 4dr blazer rear shaft. After I finish my rear shackle lift, it should be the perfect fit.
The front shaft is 31" from u-joint to u-joint. So I think I need to get a 89-01 cherokee 4L auto front shaft.

szabotage

are you having a clearance issue or a parts won't bolt together issue? I wonder if the flange off an isuzu rodeo rear t'case output would fit being GM/Dana compatible and also a 27 spline as well. if that's the case, this may give you the opportunity to run toyota CV's with the double cardan joint and just bigger u joints as well since the flange is a round, flat and drillable rather than the yoke/strap style.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
ID if the 231 is about 1 1/16. My 233 is about 1 5/16. And the output snout on the 231 is about 2" shorter then the 233.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Just a thought on lengthening the stock DS: GM used alot of aluminum driveshafts (most of the FS trucks since 88, if not all), no idea on the blazers. If your stock one is aluminum, it's alot harder (possibly a really bad idea) to modify than a steel one if you are trying to do it yourself.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
No idea on the joints... I use whatever No Limits gets me.
My ds is steel. My buddy was hear and said it wouldent be a problem to re-tube it.

szabotage

you should find out before you attempt all this hack n tap stuff. if your GM output yoke uses a 1310 u joint there's no reason why the jeep yoke won't mate to the otherside of the GM ujoint

Last edited:

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
My buddy is picking up both my front and rear shafts tomorrow. Should be done Wednesday. right now im trying to swing some sort of swap for 35's.

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
Got my jeep np231 front output yoke today... So not the tranny cross member is in 3 pieces... Should have price of it all in tonight!

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member

WOOOOOHOOOOO... Now I have 4wd again!!!