My "Big Baby" Axle Swap thread

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
So it was a little rainy when I got home but I have been waiting long enough!!!

Progress!!

Matt, got something for you.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well I hit a snag today. I had previously purchased the CE-9123N which is the Rockjock Adjustable trackbar with a CV Bracket. The issue with it is that the JJ on the axle side is a 2" rod. The Artec Truss seems to expect a stock width track bar which is narrower. I am sure I can work around it but I would think they would mention it as being an issue.
Sigh.
One thought to address it was to cut a small strip of steel to fill the gap and weld it to the inner side of Part H which ends up welded to G (for those who haven't seen the truss, when it comes it looks like it would be sold at ikea in a flat pack box or more like the jigsaw dinosaurs. You assemble it and weld).
Suggestions? I also thought about heating it up and bending but that would then throw the outer hole which is on part F off.

Here is what it looks like all assembled (H is the back side of the Track bar mount and G is the side that also

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'd try calling Artec first, maybe they can re-bend H to fit the larger joint. Other than that...not sure from the pictures. Trying to move it out while still keeping alignment via the tabs might be tricky.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I'd try calling Artec first, maybe they can re-bend H to fit the larger joint. Other than that...not sure from the pictures. Trying to move it out while still keeping alignment via the tabs might be tricky.

I sent them an email yesterday so I suspect I will be getting a response on Monday or tuesday. They need to include an option for 2".
The snow last night nixed doing anything outside today so I am stuck until it melts back. For now I basically took some 1/4" scrap steel and built up H where it welds to G. Not exactly the nicest looking thing but I know I am not the first to have done it.
Hopefully they get back tomorrow.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Anybody happen to have a right hand thread narrow Johnny Joint with 1" shaft?
Talked to Artec and they gave me a great idea which I never thought about it. Contact Currie and see if I can get the narrower Rod version for the JJ in the track bar. Wish I had thought of this yesterday.Called up some places to see if I could get it sourced asap and nothing quick, if this was even two weeks ago I wouldn't think twice but time is slipping... So I am thinking I will continue with what I have done. My concern is interference with the gas tank but I am getting the savvy one and I think that will help with the space (so I have read). Push comes to shove I finangle that specific part.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Here is what I need to know:
1. Can I get the bracketry angles without the Track bar connected (or at least bolted on one side)? If so then I can order a new JJ.

Right now I want to get the pinion angles as once I get them I am pulling it out and replacing the upper brackets. I am kind of in catch 22. I can't replace the brackets until the gas tank is out but I can't get the proper placement without the gas tank there.

My other thought and I think how I am going to proceed is as follows:
1. Pull the gas tank and put on the new skid.
2. Put on new brackets
3. Put the gas tank in with new skid
4. Do the fitting after that.

This allows time for the new JJ to come in while I get the brackets replaced. I will have to cut off all the crap I put on the F piece but the benefit in doing this is that I can make sure that with measuring with the new GTS it might fit better. I ordered a new one from TMR. Hopefully it will only put me back a little bit with dealing with the brackets.
My garage is going to be packed...

On a side note I got the new upper brackets from Artec. Anyone ever used these or similar? Is it as simple as put the JJ in and tack it in then weld it onto the frame or should it be on the frame and then tack in the piece that has the second mounting hole?
TMR sells similar and I probably should have ordered from them but I had Artec in my history and had seen them already.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well I put the axle under and I think I may have to reroute the exhaust turn up. It all depends I guess, what I did was measure the frame from the ground and placed it on jackstands at the same height. I then put the axle under with the tires on and I think the truss will end up banging the exhaust.
Tomorrow I have to square up the axle and then get the truss burned on if I have time.

Last edited:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I wouldn't set pinion angle without weight on springs, ask me how I know. The problem you will have then is that the truck will probably want to wallow around, I know it should not be as bad as a 3 link but I don't think the factory "4-link" has much side to side strength but it may be enough to set a pinion angle.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Dwayne, he's setting the rig on stands at ride height and then setting the axle with the tires underneath to simulate it being fully attached to the rig - I've done this many times to set up brackets, if he was relying on the suspension to support the rig then he definitely needs the track bar installed but as long as he's supporting the frame by jackstand it should be ok.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Duly noted. Isnt the side to side strength provided by the track bar? Ah I see now what you meant by wallowing. The key thing i need to do is make sure the axle is squared under the frame.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Duly noted. Isnt the side to side strength provided by the track bar? Ah I see now what you meant by wallowing. The key thing i need to do is make sure the axle is squared under the frame.

If you were supporting the rig on the springs, without steadying the body to prevent it moving around (moving around on the springs), you could have it moving out of square from the axles. Or at least I think that's what Dwayne is saying. It makes sense in my head that way. If you're following Marek's advice on the jack stands, though, there is no chance of movement from that square position.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
So long as the ride height is correct, how can he tell with new perches on a different axle then he use to have? If he determine exact ride height then fine and brackets can be fairly close right? Pinion angle is easy to be off by a degree or 2. Can you not use your track bar end sans some pieces? It does not have to fit perfectly, just hold it from falling over.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I can hook it up but won't be bolted in properly since there won't be the other side of the bracket. I think if it is out it will probably be negligible and compensated by adjusting the CAs just to get it back to the right angle.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got the initial angles set now to attach all the rest of the bracketry. Man that axle is a pain to move by yourself when it is at ride height and the only thing you have to move it is with the floor jack.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Brown Santa just dropped a gift off

Earlier my wife caught Canada Post trying to get away with dropping the notice without ringing the doorbell. He went away cursing and muttering that he had to do his job. He dropped off the new Bosch Fuel Pump. The funny thing is although it is Bosch there is a huge NAPA symbol on it. I paid $120 for it. Up here Napa charges $340.

Last edited: