My "Big Baby" Axle Swap thread

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I was okay if it took longer I just wanted to know. I think they are trying to make up for it. if you order they promise to ship within48 hours or free shipping. this excludes holidays of course but hey they got it out within the time allotted. I have a hunch wifey will be using it as a fruit bowl until I need it.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If it's anything like the Ruff Stuff ones I picked up, it'll be one heavy fruit bowl :lmao:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Lol, the wife used my front one as a nut bowl when I left it on the dining room table, the reinforced bottom was a negative though as it didn't allow her to fill it all the way as it would not lay flat :)

Took advantage of the warm (HAH) weather to grind all the rust off and put a quick coat on just to stop it from rust build up.

I really need to clean my garage.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Christmas in January!!
Picked up a whole bunch of stuff including the following:

HD LCA Brackets for my HPDana 30 from Artec

8.8 Truss and bracketry with the Truss Bridge

Ballistic Fab 8.8 Diff Cover. Only problem is they put in a fill plug which I didn't ask for but that is ok (they didn't charge me for it which makes it ok) but didn't give me the plug. Emailed them to see about fixing it. Not a fan of the bolts they gave as they are hex bolt style instead of normal nut. May see about getting new ones.

Also got all the brake stuff including new rotors discs, hoses etc for the 8.8 and the ARB High output Compressor. Ring and Pinion and new 8.8 ARB should be here soon.

Put in an order for the Ultimate 88 and should be getting that mid Feb, after that (early March) is the Adjustable Control Arms, and new brakes for the front.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I also got a solid spacer to replace the crush sleeve. Don't know why they use crush sleeves, probably cost.

Side note anyone have a brake line flaring tool that does double flares? My fronts were replaced last year but I need to do the rear and figured since I am replacing everything up to the hard line I might as well do it too.

Boy am I going to be busy
I was thinking of tacking thee bracketry on and seeing if it lined up and adjust accordingly but I am starting to rethink that. i am thinking of measuring the pinion angle as it is now and setting it there. I should be able to adjust with the adjustable control arms for any deviance. if I wait until I have the axle out from under it I will be rushing to get it done as I have to run all the hard brake lines after as everything relies on where the truss lays

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I've always tacked on brackets/truss with the axle in position, pinion angle and mock up links in place to be sure they are going in the position I want them in. That way you have minimal adjustment with the arms themselves.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Does that truss tie into the pinion like the 14 bolt? it looks like it does - that makes it easy as it really only gets placed in one position.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
not sure. the top where it welds has a roll in the end so i suspect there is some flexibility. may have to pull both out to the garage and see how it looks. actually I just looked and it looks similar although the 14bolt has a pinion guard as well. it looks like the trussbridge attaches with what looks like a butt weld which means minimal angle adjustment. I emailed Artec to see what they say
UPPDATECame across this link
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...57-i-don-t-understand-rear-truss-designs.html:
Artec responds about the 14 bolt truss design which was set the pinion angle with the truss and then trim down the truss bridge to fit.yeah I think I am going to be super busy in April. I so hope spring is early I don't think fitting it in snow will be much fun.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Here is a picture of what it looks like with the pinion set to 17* and the truss at 0. You can see how the bridge gets trimmed back and then welded to the truss.

One of the things I tried which I thought would kill two birds with one stone was to have the ABS sensor hole play a new role as the vent line as the original hole was plugged as the truss interferes.
Looks like the truss still interferes. Or I cut a small hole into the truss so I can get at the bolt. Yeah not happening. I think I will end up doing is drill a new hole somewhere on the rim of the pumpkin and put a new line there or find a spot where the truss doesn't interfere straight up somewhere on a tube

Last edited:

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
The vent should be able to go anywhere on the tube on a rear axle. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.Then you don't have to drill the pumpkin

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
By default it is on the driver's side tube (about 3 inches to the right of the second picture to be precise. It can go anywhere. Just cleaning the debris out will be a pain.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Oh Brad, I have some popcorn for you and if you still have that stick in your avatar I may need to borrow it :D

O.D.

Club Member
If you haven't already, check out Stu's offroad online. He has a really good write up on mocking an 8.8 into a TJ for brackets...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
been to Stu's many times. Stu's is if you are using normal brackets like MORE's. the nice thing about the truss is it all fits on its own, Artec is good for that, they make it painless.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yay update!

So one of my biggest challenges is trying to find a setup nut. With my Dana 30, I killed the first pinion I bought as I used a new pinion nut which was stovered which has deformed threads at the top so it ended up destroying the threads during the setup. I ended up getting a new normal nut and that worked perfectly.

For the 8.8 I contacted Yukon about the nut size and they said the thread is 3/4-20 (3/4" with 20tpi). Not exactly an easy nut to find here at the local fastener places. I have emailed Yukon to see what they suggest. I suspect I may have to use the original pinion nut but I am extremely wary about doing that.

They said that the original pinion nut should be ok "since the original crimp has been opened up". Works for me.

Got home to 2 boxes that arrived from PJF.
The big box was this (Ultimate 88 C-Clip Eliminator with chromo axle shafts):

The other two contained this (Master Install kit):

and this (Extended front brake lines):

As mentioned before for those who are not in the know, the 8.8 ARB is different than the Dana 30 in that the Near Ring Gear side bearing is already on.
This is what it looks like:

so all I need to do is press on the other side (which I did)

Can you tell it's cold outside? That is the packing grease frozen to it.

Right now the Ring gear is in the oven at 195*F for another hour and a bit so I can slap it on.