My "Big Baby" Axle Swap thread

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Actually got some stuff done today, may hear about it from the wife since the inlaws were coming over for Zombie Jesus day. Brakes are on but I seem to have misplaced the short hard line on the axle in the mess that is my garage. If I had it I could have at least got the rear brakes bled. Other stuff I did:
Hard brake line to the rear has been attached. I had bought a small brake line that I cut and attached to the one I have to find and it it acting as a plug
Passenger shock is on, I can't do the driver side as I have to move the small bracket as there is interference with the shock.
Ran the rear locker line and attached it. Leak free as it held without the compressor kicking on.

Will have to adjust the pinion a bit. If you recall I had put the jeep at the height it is normally at with the Dana 35. With the 8.8 under it, it sits higher. Shouldn't take too long and is probably a degree if that.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah yeah, you just want the control arms :D

I am planning on having it drivable by next Monday at latest so I will be bring them all on Thursday. If lucky I may be driving it to the meeting. There I go jinxing it

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Today was getting the rear brakes bled, Emergency brake cables installed and front axle pulled

Tomorrow is replacing the front calipers and new flexy brake lines.
Wednesday, putting in the front axle.

Matt, I should have all 4 Lower Control Arms by Thursday but the front's are being a bitch to get the old bolts off. I ended up cutting off the ones on the frame side but they are still attached to the axle right now.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Was hoping the rain would stay away but unfortunately it didn't. I was planning on getting the new brake lines and calipers on and part of that was putting on new brackets for where the hard line meet the soft line which involves welding on the bracket. I didn't get that done but I did get the upper control arms off the frame. So as of now I can start putting the axle under.

Getting the LCAs off the old axle is being a bear. I actually sheared off one of the bolts using a breaker bar. The axle has the cam adjusters which I think is all rust welded together.
Guess I am going to have to grind off both sides and try punching it out.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Front axle is in, I got it in and checked for clearance at full bump Barnett cover clears as expected. Caster is set to 5*. Front driveshaft is hooked up. Filled 8.8 diff which took exactly 4 litres
Tomorrow entails if time allows as there is a lot!! (Also I have to do an 8 mile run before lunch)
- hook up new brakes
- attach new jj for rear trackbar. Will need to drill out hole though in tb bracket as it is expecting 1/2" not 9/16"
- reattach steering
- tighten everything down
- Double check rear pinion angle
- take it out and do brake breakin
- change speedo gear

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Time to spare before SF - I'm sure it will feel great to finally get back out after this is all done.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Only problem is I am gone for a week in the next 3 weeks. If I am lucky I may be able to get 200k on it before and that is assuming there is no issues

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Drop it off here for the week you're gone - I'll put some miles on it for you :flipoff:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Lol right now on the front I have the brakes done, I have to tighten everything up but have hit two snags:
1. Can't find one of the yoke bolts for the front drive shaft, may steal one from the old one.
2. The adjustable front track bar isn't adjusting, I have to break the seal on it to get it to turn.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well hit a huge snag, with the Artec truss bridge I can't put the rear sway bar on as there is probably a good 3" of interference between the two. Not sure if I can flip it upside down nor do I really want to. Suggestions?

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Well hit a huge snag, with the Artec truss bridge I can't put the rear sway bar on as there is probably a good 3" of interference between the two. Not sure if I can flip it upside down nor do I really want to. Suggestions?

throw the rear sway bar in the garbage ;) front is all you need :beer:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeaah no.
I dont think the Currie will work with the 8.8 and even then it would definitely not be ready in time for SF.
I emailed Artec to see what they say. I may see if I can cut into the bridge, maybe reinforce the area where it is thinnest.
Essentially if I could get it rebent 2 inches over to the passenger side it would probably be fine. Now if somebody thinks they could do that, I could drop it off at their place while I am gone :)

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Artec will say your nuts for wanting to put it back on ;) Heep guy's:banghead::flipoff: