PJF PARCK 26-27 september

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
First, find out what style the ports are. With that info we can discuss options.

Off hand, I'd say:

- Use the correct fitting. i.e. if it's NPSM with a crush washer, then use that style fitting.

- Use a compatable fitting (there is a limited interchange / compatibility on some - we can discuss possibilities once I know what the port in the case is)

- Re-construct the port to match the fitting you want to use. Requires case dissasembly, but may be the best long-term solution - especially if it rids you of cursed NPT ports. Depends on your machining ability. If I had my way (time/$$/ability) I would machine every port to an ORB - if there was room.

- Make something else work as best as possible. This is risky. It bit Adrian. Still not convinced of why - there are several factors at play. If using a tepered male thread in any port, even if it's a matching tapered thread port, you have to be extremely careful with tightening as the threads are a mechanical jack. Most people way over-tighten NPT threads (and most have to because the threads are well used and, due to their design, get progressively more and more damaged every time you dissasemble and reassemble and what makes it worse is that it's the threads themselves that are the sealing surfaces - which is why I hate the fawkers in the first place!) Loctite make excellent sealing compunds of many types - probably a good bet. I would not use the cheap lumpy home-depot plumbing pipe dope.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Found this thread on Pirate, says 1/4"-18 NPSM

All they say is Pipe :confused:

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/cooler_fittings.asp

Summit does have these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATI-925137/

BillaVista

PrettyBoy

Adrian, yes, I would take that TCI page with a large grain of salt. For example, I know for a fact that the TH400 fittings are NPSM - but all the TCI page says is "pipe", which, while technically not "wrong" is bloody misleading and not very helpful since in common usage "pipe" is equated with NPT - which is why people end up ramming NPT tapered fittings into MPSM straight threads and cracking cases. On the other hand, they also say "pipe" for other trannies that I know use NPTF.

I don't know for sure what the TH350 uses - but a good way to tell would be to find a stock one with the stock little adapters installed in the ports and take them out and check:

1) Is there a sealing washer, like in the pics Kieth and Adrian have posted - a pretty sure sign of NPSm (or at least NOT NPT)

2) Measure the threads and see if they are tapered or parallell.

Adrian, those you pictured from Summit are the correct ones for the TH400.

BillaVista

PrettyBoy
Oh, Adrian, do you know if yours cracked on install (and just went unnoticed) or whether it cracked when it got hot, or after it got hot then cold then hot (i.e. after a few heat cycles)?

K

kbrousseau

Adrian, yes, I would take that TCI page with a large grain of salt. For example, I know for a fact that the TH400 fittings are NPSM - but all the TCI page says is "pipe", which, while technically not "wrong" is bloody misleading and not very helpful since in common usage "pipe" is equated with NPT - which is why people end up ramming NPT tapered fittings into MPSM straight threads and cracking cases. On the other hand, they also say "pipe" for other trannies that I know use NPTF.QUOTE]

If this is the case ( and it sure looks that way) then why are they blaming the cases cracking on teflon tape? Very confusing, and, as Bill says misleading.:banghead:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Oh, Adrian, do you know if yours cracked on install (and just went unnoticed) or whether it cracked when it got hot, or after it got hot then cold then hot (i.e. after a few heat cycles)?

The tranny never had a chance to get hot. I put them in, and then took the tranny to Pierre. We changed the Pump, took it home, installed it in the truck, all the while we never noticed the cracks. We even looked at the fittings at Pierre's because he liked them LOL. First time I fired it up, I noticed the leaking.....

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Finally got a chance to watch the videos.

Dude at the end of 2nd video sure can drive!!! Wish I could have seen it in person :smokin::smokin:

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Finally got a chance to watch the videos.

Dude at the end of 2nd video sure can drive!!! Wish I could have seen it in person :smokin::smokin:

That was Roy from Kingston. I'm not sure but i think he goes to Rausch Creek with the crew. Was very cool to watch.

CaptainFitz

Official Wannabe
Club Member
That was Roy from Kingston. I'm not sure but i think he goes to Rausch Creek with the crew. Was very cool to watch.

Actually it is Ron, Good guy, been coming to ovo events for a while, started with that truck clean and nice, lwb. had the first 6.5:1 of anyone I know..

Buster

Club Member
I thought I would post a little update on the mods I did after PJF park in 2009. Just so everyone dosen't have to read back a few pages I will recap.
Snapped the spline portion on the rear short side Sami axle. After a lot of thought and a little time on the lathe, I turned down the shafts from the spline to just before the increase in diameter for the bearings.
Well, it's been a over a year. I had to change the axle bearings last week and here is what the axle looked like when I took it out. Notice that the splines are still straight. I think this is a reasonable mod (cheaper that Chro-M0 axles) for the bugdet minded wheeler.

Attachments

• IMG00179-20110515-1&.jpg
    IMG00179-20110515-1&.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00180-20110515-1&.jpg
    IMG00180-20110515-1&.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 9