Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
Assembled new front springs and shocks myself and then installed them last weekend. What a PITA. Had to use a hydraulic compressor...not possible with hand tools. So I bought a hydraulic one from PA...very cool.

Netted 3.5" over (saggy) stock. Now I have two raised vehicles.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Looking good! Now with a little cutting you could put bigger tires on it :D

Planning on going to WAC for the tough truck?

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks man, need to decide on 245/75/16 which are always easy to find, or go 32s with a skinny 235/85/16. I could 'technically' fit either, but I won't be able to stuff the 32...so that says to me that it won't fit lol I think I just made my mind up.

I saw something about some WAC stuff later this month, but I'm confused - did it run in July and then it'll run again in a couple weeks??

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
WAC happens three times a year, the last one occurs this month. You may be able to fit 32s with some cutting :)

Function > Form

Club Member
lol thanks for your vote! Ya they'll fit with minimal front air dam cutting, maybe a washer bottle relocation. I'd have to rethink my spare mount as it has a semi-circ divot in the bumper for the tire...I don't think a 32 will fit there, but it's skinny so maybe. Thinking of attaching a steel plate and spacers and angle out the bottom of the tire if needed.

I think with stock gears, 32s will kill me on power and fuel mileage. Opinions from those who have taller tires and stock(er) gears? i.e. will it be driveable?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Mine has 3.73 and the NV3550 which is similar to the AX15 gear wise. My TJ had 31s and 3.07 was fine. Small 32s may be OK if you were the same

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks man. I have 3.73...so might be ok? Pretty sure I have the 45RFE (auto 4) but could be a 42 would need to check, not a lot of difference, but the 45 has slightly shorter ratios.

Ah the 5-sp liberty is definitely geared lower than the auto.

Did your TJ have the AX15 5sp? Just trying to cross compare.

junkpile

I have one lt235/85r16 BFG AT/KO that has a flat spot but is otherwise brand new. You are welcome to it to check sizing/clearance.

trixter192

Club Member
For the spare tire, I just made a relocation bracket with some 2x6 tube. It brought it away from the body work, up above the bumper, and changed the pattern so that the center ornament logo was level. No welder needed.

Function > Form

Club Member
I have one lt235/85r16 BFG AT/KO that has a flat spot but is otherwise brand new. You are welcome to it to check sizing/clearance.

Thanks man - I will get in touch by PM when ready to test fit. It would only be a couple days.

For the spare tire, I just made a relocation bracket with some 2x6 tube. It brought it away from the body work, up above the bumper, and changed the pattern so that the center ornament logo was level. No welder needed.

Thanks, great idea - pretty much what I was thinking also - a spacer. I won't need as much room as you though. ;)

Function > Form

Club Member
Small update.

Installed some 800 lb e-track brackets on my rear shelf. I just put one on either side and threw a couple ring inserts in the glove box. Should be good to tie down some gear.

As the lib is tinted a bit much for me, next I want to wire up my old PIAA fogs (from back in the 90s) as rear facing lights, likely pointed slightly outwards? Should I mount them high - better distance?, or low - brighter, but more damage prone?

I had grand plans to fab up some rails, but hunting down some randomly-occurring clanks and clunks has been my Christmas PITA.
-lubed sway bushings
-inspected/tightened all kinds of stuff
-replaced psgr wheel bearing
-pulled front DS (likely culprit - parts on the way)

Function > Form

Club Member
Good news, it was only the stupid rzeppa CV head on the front DS that failed again. I replaced it and it's golden. Can/should this be converted to something like a double cardan style? I'm a little confused as to how it could be done and if it would be worth it. The rzeppa seems to poop out often on liberties, but perhaps it's not worth it.

Some more good news, took a look-see into the rotted rockers and the steel is in good shape underneath. I will consider getting the sawzall out and replacing with square tube a la XJ plus some supports going back to the main frame rails.

Spring plans:
Real rear spring lift and bilsteins, then some bigger meats. Likely going to pick up a set of 245/75/16 for now.
I could fit a set of 31x10.5x15 which would be great, but would also need wheels, so the 16s are the cheaper route that I'll take for now.

junkpile

Is it a 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern?
Actually if you're able to fit 31x10.5r15's then why not look for a set of 265/75r16's instead of the 245's ?

Last edited: