Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
Yeah unfortunately it is, why do you ask...? My interest has been piqued... I say unfortunately b/c apparently there are only a few OEM 15" wheels in that pattern that work together with the coilover front susp and the discs.

As far as 16" OEM, TJ Moabs would work, but they are few and far between...saw one earlier this winter for $250 and should have jumped on them, but it wasn't a good time $-wise. I believe other 16s require spacers or I would need to deal with some rub at lock.

I thought of 265/75/16 but was thinking with how light it is, the 245s would cut better in snow/mud etc. Am I off-base? Plus as they are a bit bigger than the 31 above, I'd have to double check but the 265s on my stock wheels may rub on the sway without a spacer. I'm honestly ok with either option, just want to make it as budget-y as possible. I'm also feeling that with 3.73s I may just kill my gas mileage even more...currently only get about 300 kms to a 60L tank usually in 4FT, but I like to accelerate (bad habit).

I'm sure many would say the same: there is a list of things I need to do, plus a long list of what I'd like to do. ;)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah unfortunately it is, why do you ask...? My interest has been piqued... I say unfortunately b/c apparently there are only a few OEM 15" wheels in that pattern that work together with the coilover front susp and the discs.

As far as 16" OEM, TJ Moabs would work, but they are few and far between...saw one earlier this winter for $250 and should have jumped on them, but it wasn't a good time $-wise. I believe other 16s require spacers or I would need to deal with some rub at lock.

I thought of 265/75/16 but was thinking with how light it is, the 245s would cut better in snow/mud etc. Am I off-base? Plus as they are a bit bigger than the 31 above, I'd have to double check but the 265s on my stock wheels may rub on the sway without a spacer. I'm honestly ok with either option, just want to make it as budget-y as possible. I'm also feeling that with 3.73s I may just kill my gas mileage even more...currently only get about 300 kms to a 60L tank usually in 4FT, but I like to accelerate (bad habit).

I'm sure many would say the same: there is a list of things I need to do, plus a long list of what I'd like to do. ;)

Coming at it from the TJ world tire choices are more prevalent for 15" than 16". Also rather than doing a spacer see about getting less backspacing, that pushes the tire out more

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks guys,

I had originally thought of 235/85/16, but I think it will be too hard on gas/power loss for my preference. I'd like to do 4.10s before going to a 32 equiv. However it wouldn't rub widthwise...and it would be awesomely tall.

Good call 2Greys, I don't really want to do a spacer, especially since they are already hard on wheel bearings and it may just lead to (more) premature failures. The size that fits without spacers is 15/16x7 with 4.5" bs...which I believe is uncommon for jeeps. *IF* I buy new wheels, I'll just get some new steelies.

I'm not too worried about tire options in 15 vs. 16, it's more about finding something that will fit in the limited space...

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If you are looking for new rims, go 17's and future proof yourself. If you need more cheap options, Ford used the 4x4.5 pattern, so there are other options out there.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Converting it seems like 235/85r16 is comparable to 32/11.5r15. It is pretty safe to use an 8" wide rim for up to 12.5" wide tires.

bzzr2

235/85/16 is more like just under 32 by approx 9.5, i would not recommend an 8 inch rim on the pizza cutters. 7 would be ideal for that size. gotta love the pizza cutters, a good trade off for extra clearance yet saving weight and wind resistance =

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
235/85/16 is more like just under 32 by approx 9.5, i would not recommend an 8 inch rim on the pizza cutters. 7 would be ideal for that size. gotta love the pizza cutters, a good trade off for extra clearance yet saving weight and wind resistance =
You were right, I hate that style of measurement, I so prefer the way older way where you didn't have to do math. However stock TJ came with a 9.5" wide tire on 8" rim but yeah if airing down you may risk slipping the bead

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
If you are looking for new rims, go 17's and future proof yourself. If you need more cheap options, Ford used the 4x4.5 pattern, so there are other options out there.

Future proof? Are 15s and 16s no longer going to be made, or what did you mean? Likely I'll only have this rig for 2-3 yrs tops anyhow, so I think sticking with something that will work on the stockers should do me fine.
Thanks for the reminder on ford spacing...I forgot about them.

I can't go 8" without spacers anyhow and I'm not doing spacers. The stockers are 7".

Thanks again for your advice guys. Good info in here.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
16's are becoming a dead size, 15's are on the way. Almost any tire you want for a light truck, though, is out there in a 17.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
That said, I bought my rims about 4 years ago (I think?). I may have to replace them this coming year, not sure if they can be balanced from the rock rash they have got. Any advice I can give is buy cheap if you think you may be getting into the rocks at all.

junkpile

There's really not a crazy diff in size between the 245/75r16 and 235/85r16, BFG's specs give it about the same width 248mm vs. 250mm and about 1.5" taller, 774mm vs. 806mm. That gives you roughly 3/4" ground clearance gain. With your lift and substantial 3.7L power [emoji12] I'm sure you can fit them and without rubbing or power issues... No?

Function > Form

Club Member
lol power is probably ok around here, and fit should be fine with the lift and trimming that I've already done, but it's more about gas mileage since it's my daily. I just don't want to spend a ton more a month on gas.

Plus, we're doing bathroom renos and we just found out the roof is fubared too so I'm trying to be reasonable!!! lol good thing I decided to take it off road eh??? Real money-saving idea right there. Maybe the problem was buying a Heep in the first place...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
If it is standard then you have the NV3550 which is geared the same as the AX15. I had 31s with 3.07 in the diffs and it was fine.

Function > Form

Club Member
It already seems like a gas hog at 300 kms/60 L (winter...summer is more like 400) so don't want to make it unlikeable. It has 3.73s and iirc slightly taller gearing than the nv3550 so ya likely fine for power.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...(ya think?!??)

Function > Form

Club Member
Replaced the alternator again this weekend. Started with a pretty loud bad bearing noise mid-last week. Initially I thought it was my power steering with a bubble again, but it wasn't really affected by see-sawing the wheel. Popped the hood while it was running and it seemed to be coming from the alt.

Pulled it Saturday and the pulley didn't spin freely compared to an older spare that is still working ok. Had some telltale black dust on the housing too. Luckily (?) I bought it from PartSource as a remanned 3-yr warr last August. I took it in and the guy just spun it and said "Well that's totally fucked." lol didn't even need to bench test it. THey gave me a new one that they had in stock. They seem to know me well there now...maybe it's a sign.

Slapped the new one in and she's good to go again.

Still need to chase down a 'clack' sound from the front right susp on small bumps, especially when it's colder out. It's smooth as silk on longer 'humps' in the road. I'm hoping it's just the end link on that side. Hasn't gotten worse or caused any other symptoms...yet. Will try to diagnose it this weekend when I put in the new 'premium' ceramic pads.

The rear suspension is getting more bouncy recently, esp on the right side. So that means that I will finally be properly raising the rear on OME springs and still undecided about the shocks. Probably will also get the OME shocks based on their reputation and internet praise FWIW. SADLY I think I have enough tire tread to get me through until fall.

bzzr2

It already seems like a gas hog at 300 kms/60 L (winter...summer is more like 400) so don't want to make it unlikeable. It has 3.73s and iirc slightly taller gearing than the nv3550 so ya likely fine for power.

Maybe I'm overthinking this...(ya think?!??)

Over-thinking can be good sometimes. If you get the shorter tires you will wish you had taller tires, the difference in mpg's from the 245 to the 235 will be minimal. Go with the pizza cutters, you won't regret it. I run 255/85/16's and have run the 235's in the past, what I didn't like about the 235's is they weren't 255's...

Function > Form

Club Member
[MENTION=568]bzzr2[/MENTION] thanks bud. I'm pretty sure now that I'll get the pizza cutters. I still have a little while to think about it, but these grabbers are wearing very quickly. I might only get 25k out of them by the time they are at the wear bars, but I seldom run them that low.

Suspension update: yesterday I bought rear OME springs/shocks and a small spacer (1/4") to add to the front. Getting ready for the 32s. :D Should be lots of room for the bigger meats.

I traced the 'clack' sound to worn splines on the front intermediate shaft inboard of the CVs. There is about 1/8" of wiggle. I have a good one in my garage somewhere.