Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

junkpile

Curious how a load range E will ride and wear on such a light vehicle - let me know how you like them.

I've been running a set of 255/85r16 KM2's on my 4Runner for about 2.5yrs and
70,000kms so far. I was worried the added weight and stiffness might be awful but not so. I run at 50psi instead of 80psi and they have been wearing pretty evenly, and not too noisey or rough at all. I tried running them at lower psi 35psi, but they felt lumpy and actually rougher on road over rough surfaces.

Form- Congrats on the tire purchase! Enjoy the clearance Clarence (;

Function > Form

Club Member
Still don't have the tires mounted. Was busy getting married. :)

I did however find time to clearance the wheel wells by flattening down the pinch welds with a bfh and reforming the plastic with my new heat gun. It was actually fun to work on the plastic, although it doesn't look great. The second one ended up better of course.

Poking around while in the garage, I found a few nasty rust spots (surprise, it's a heep). Bottom of the psgr door is rotted away, some bondo was already there but the rust had babies. I hacked it all off with the grinder, reformed it with some mesh and new bondo. Should probably have done some sheet steel (and rivets? or spot welds?), but it's probably not going to last long anyhow given how much rot there is. I'll swap a door later if need be. Looks so-so for now, but care, I do not.

Also found a major hole at the back of the psgr side roof rail. Took out a chunk of rusty mess about 5x5". Reformed it with mesh also, bondo'ed the crap out of it and sanded/painted. Looks pretty good. I did a couple coats of paint also last night, but it was getting late and dinner prep had already been started, so... pics tomorrow. ;)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah mine is seeing it at the bottom of the doors and a bit around the rear window.
We won't talk about the clearcoat job that aborted itself when cleaning up a small spot on the driver side rear door....
Oh and congrats!

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks bud!!

I completely glaze over with dread when I look at the rockers though. I need to get structural under there. How are yours? Are you still getting rid of your libby?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Thanks bud!!

I completely glaze over with dread when I look at the rockers though. I need to get structural under there. How are yours? Are you still getting rid of your libby?
From the outside they look perfect but are probably going to perforate at some point. And yep not sure if I will trade it in or try selling it.

Function > Form

Club Member
From the outside they look perfect but are probably going to perforate at some point. And yep not sure if I will trade it in or try selling it.

Yeah they should have a drain/flush spot...when I got into them yesterday, I pulled out about 2.5 cups of sand, salt and rust. I'm going to have to get some tube in there soon.

Good luck finding the new vehicle!!

Congrats on the wedding!

Thanks!!

Function > Form

Club Member

This was just after I got the worst crap out. I took a fair bit more out to get down to bare metal. It wasn't ideal, but it'll be fine.

Took a little finagling to get the contour 'just right'.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Had a busy weekend.

We headed out to Govan Lake to do some canoeing and swimming on Saturday on account of the forecast. We were maybe 10 minutes from getting there and just after I crested a hill, every time I hit a bump...clank clank clank. Fuck. Got out and sure enough the driver's side strut mount came apart. The strut shaft was headed diagonally outwards and the body of it was rubbing on the inside of the spring. Luckily it was still all inside. We didn't get up to Govan and I thought at this point that we were in for a reallllllly long drive home, or at least to the hwy for a tow. We could've stayed out overnight if we needed to, but we really didn't want to do that.

I gingerly started back ...but after about 10 minutes of clanks, bangs and too much bouncing, it was just too much metal on metal for my liking and I wanted to make sure I didn't eff up the parts. So I pulled over, looked at the thing stuck off to an angle and got my thinkin' cap on. I thought I could right the shaft, then zip tie a wrench to the spring with the closed end over the strut shaft. Nope, probably wouldn't stay. So I got the bottle jack out and took the pressure off that corner. Fortunately, with the pressure off, it fixed its own alignment when the shaft extended right back up toward the tophat. We actually drove it all the way back home and it wasn't 'that bad' of a ride.

When we got back, I flipped it the bird, poured myself a big drink and turned on the bbq. Sunday was going to be a busy day!

Ended up pulling both sides which means the lbj, ubj, sway, hubs, axles all had to come out of this IFS thing.

On the upside, two things:
1. I confirmed that my intermediate shaft (in between front cv's) is still in good shape - the clank I get is from the ubj on the psgr side. Which happens to be non-replaceable. Time for a new uca.
2. I installed a spacer plate (1/4") above both struts.
3. I also installed a 3-ring clevis lift (spacer between clevis fork and lower part of the strut body - weird design)

So, I gained 1" at the front and the lift is now evened out at about 4" both ends.

Function > Form

Club Member
lol kidding of course

Just ordered some new end links and a set of tubular upper control arms with a greasable and replaceable UBJ. It will give me a bit more clearance from the spring/strut assembly also. And they're RED! #ricey

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
+1 - looks great!

Let me know how the ATM's treat you - I've heard good things about them, and the TB needs new shoes soon.

Function > Form

Club Member
Will do Kunker. I think we are taking it out to North Frontenac this weekend. Initial impressions on road are good. Hard to really tell until the alignment is fixed up as there is a lot of bump steer on the psgr side right now.

I'm getting it aligned today after installing the UCAs. Originally I was going to go to the club meeting, but installed these instead. They went in like cake.

Sidenote - damn the tires are heavy. I'm a tiny guy though (5'10" 150 lbs).

Last edited: