Build Project Liberty - Trail/Overland Jeep Build

Function > Form

Club Member
Hey all,

I got this Lib last year for not too much - had a bad DS head and a cracked windshield so I got it for a song. It made all kinds of fun noise when I first got it. It has a rear Trac-Lok and Selec-Trac, otherwise, pretty bare bones which is good for me. I hate expensive electro-wizardry that breaks or randomly freaks out. Replaced the DS head and the windshield, slapped on some AT2s in stock size (235/70/16 - 29.5") and then quickly realized I was out of room. I didn't get it...
Please login to view full content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Personally I would go overland. For the amount of money you would be putting into it to be anything more you could buy other vehicles already capable.

Function > Form

Club Member
For what I've done with it so far I'm beyond impressed. Didn't even think it could do any 'fun' obstacles that I ended up being able to scale on some of the trails I've been on. In any case, I'm generally aware of the upgrading limits (= costs really) of this vehicle, although I do love how compact it is, the power of the 3.7 and the selectability of the transfer case are great too, but I'm a noob so what do I know about how 'good' it really is. Not really that much! lol

Aside from overland-type of mods, I'm doubtful that I would get into this jeep any more than the 31s and mild lift anyhow. I thought about lockers at one point, but like you said, I 'could buy other vehicles already capable'. Agreed. Unless it doesn't come in a package I really want. We'll see, like I said...noob.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Having both an 03 Liberty and a TJ I cann see the limitations of the design. I think 31s on a Libby is probably the most I would even think about doing on it before you get into stupid money.

Function > Form

Club Member
Do you find you miss any civility of the Liberty when in your TJ? Or you just don't think about it? i.e. what do you miss if anything...?

First thing that comes to mind for me is the loudness, coldness, hotness of the ragtop vs. an actual roof. Second is on-road driving comfort. I would expect gas mileage is slightly lower in a TJ and space is really at a premium?

I think the only thing that could/would make sense for me is a JK 4dr seeing as we are often 2 kids, dog and us. Otherwise, it would be a pretty much trail-only rig like a TJ or 2dr JK. I thought about a WK, but I think they are similar (or more) in cost to upgrade to the Lib. But they do have a couple V8 options.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Its a jeep:) actually since I have it geared properly mileage is around the same. I always found the liberty to be a pig on gas.
Jeep is more fun to drive but if we are going out or long trips weuse the liberty. That said when the Libby goes to the junkyard in the sky it will be replaced with a 4dr jk if they haven't done anything stupid with them by then. But yeah I usually only have myself and sometimes a passenger. I wouldn't be a able to take more than that since I pulled the rear seats

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks man.

Yeah the lib is crap on gas for sure. I thought about ditching it in favour of the diesel, but sounds like they have head cracking issues and they are a ton heavier too, and they were low volume so susp and other upgrades are a PITA. Lots of people re-gear their liberties to at least a 4.10 when they move up in tire size to make up for loss of power and economy. I had forgotten about that. Maybe I will just run around on little tires lol $80 for install kit, $140 for seals etc, $35x for R&P...time for bloody knuckles and trucker mouth. Really don't want to go there...!!!

I think I just need to spend some time around other vehicles and get a feel for what I really need (want). Too early in this game for me.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
All depends on what you wan to do with it and where the priorities are. For the last 5 years my jeep was a DD so I had to be more reserved and not break anything. Now I have been fortunate to be able to put some money in and get some significant upgrades in. Priorities changed.

junkpile

I wonder if you could fit some 235/85r16's on it? They're a little taller than a 31" but narrower so you may not rub the shite out of you're wheel wells.....

Function > Form

Club Member
auto.

Most run a 245/75/16 and it rubs a little at full lock on a 2" lift - reshape the pinch weld and possible trimming of the lower inner part of the air dam only.

265/75/16 on a 2.5" lift (slightly less than what I will have when done) will require some minor trimming at the front and spacers to clear the sway. If really flexing it out, it may rub the rear fenders right off. Fenders? We don need no steenkeeng fenders!

I've only seen a couple rigs with 235/85/16s and I wonder if they are really working it through the travel. The ones I read about said 'no rear rub' but if others with smaller tires are rubbing, then...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Odds are they never tried stuffing it. Same thing happens with Jeeps with people running stock control arms and aftermarket diff covers.

Function > Form

Club Member
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

all this back and forth about real Jeeps and a Lib, for some reason I forgot about an XJ. I have wanted one for years and it seems a naturally more competent chassis. Good 4.0 I6, selec trac and two pumpkins!

I haven't even looked into what it takes to get bigger tires under an XJ, but I assume I can just hack fenders rather than reshape the firewall. Anyway, just dreamin'.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If you really want to go down the route of modded expo rig, look at the XJ, ZJ, WK family, or Toyota's (4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser to some extent) as they have a lot more aftermarket support. All depends on how off-road ready you want to make it, and how skilled you are at fabbing your own parts.

You really need to decide what your end goal is, though. For now, it sounds like the Libby is getting you out in the dirt, so see what works and what doesn't with it for now so you have a better idea on where you need to be in the future.

Function > Form

Club Member
Thanks Kunker. Yep getting out there is helping with the decision. It's good for now. Not sure how hardcore I really want to be (or can afford to be lol).

Function > Form

Club Member
OMFG what a PITA the lib was on Friday.

Started her up after work, fine, drove to run an errand, fine. Got back in, turned the key...nuthin'. Not even a single solid light on the dash, no radio, no lights, no door locks, no PW.

Went back in, asked someone to help me out on a boost...only small cars...the one that came out had a focus. No go. Barely even turned her over. F-that.

Walked over to Costco, picked up the largest battery that might fit (780cca mofos!!) and boosted it barely!!! and limped her home with two foot driving so it didn't die at every light - longest 5 minute drive ever. Didn't have any tools, so had to try with the battery that was in there. Lots of flickering lights flashing on and off randomly like a xmas tree, gauge needles all over the place, warning bings going off every time the fuel needle dropped below E...eregehgrhhhhhhh!!!! farb my life - at this point I thought it was some expensive dealer-only-electro-wizardry-board. Tried just a battery charge - nope, it's done. Replaced it with a good alternator...better, but still flickered like crazy, not quite as bad, but still brutal.

Decided that it was time. $260 for a rebuilt alt and $125 for a new batt and she's purring again. Jeez at least it didn't happen in the bush. We do this for fun and it's supposed to give you peace of mind right? :p

junkpile

?? Strange, any car should have been able to boost you, are you sure you aren't suffering from corroded battery terminals/cables?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I was thinking the same thing. Bad ground connections make it go wonky (that is the technical term for it :) )

Function > Form

Club Member
Wonky for sure, terminals on the old batt are good, no corrosion, cable end terminal clampie things are 'new'. Remember though that I haven't had any related issues until I came out from that errand on Friday. At all.

Will check grounds, but I'm having zero issues now...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I had weird issues that ended up being attributed to loose battery clamp, Course this is on my TJ not the libby so ymmv