PROJECT - My First Jeep

Baja

No they are not cut, and ya I had a lot of rubbing. I have another set of fenders already cut that I am going to swap on before the weekend.

T

Ton_O_fun

Its so nice to see this Jeep resurected!
A good friend of mine owned it for years...and then the parts Jeep was owned by another good friend of mine. I helped weld that bulletproof floor in it...too bad it got stripped.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Its so nice to see this Jeep resurected!
A good friend of mine owned it for years...and then the parts Jeep was owned by another good friend of mine. I helped weld that bulletproof floor in it...too bad it got stripped.

But it's parts live on to bring joy and fun to another wheeler! Scott had an awesome time this weekend, hopefully that's enough to ease the sadness Richard.

Baja

Yes I had an amazing time last weekend. The Jeep performed better then I could ever imagine. And the best part is I could drive it home.

There are still a few things I need to tweek. The Trasfercase linkage twists when I flex and pops the Tcase out of gear (I took it off and put it in 4 low for the weekend). I still need MORE Trimming on the front as well as drop brackets for my CA's.

Some future things I want to add are some shackle relocation brackets for the rear and some longer shocks. This will give me more flex back there and give me another inch of lift to level the Jeep out when it is loaded up.

Here are some pics from the weekend. EDIT: (my wheelbase it 101 not 103) The ramp score was 105 on my 101 wheelbase to give me a final score of 1039.

Last edited:

Baja

After a summer of wheeling I am very impressed with what I was able to climb. The XJ worked very well but after going to PJF as a spectator this fall I have decided to go bigger. I want to run a 36 or 37 inch tire to give me the clearence I need to do tougher trails and obsticals.

Since I am already scared of breaking my axles with my 33's I will be swaping in a 9in rear and D44 front.

So here is the plan:

Full width (65" wms) 9in with a minispool and disc brakes along with a HpD44 with alloy shafts and hopefully a detriot in the front (lockright at the very least). I am going to be running 5.13 gears. I am planing on stretching both the back and front 2 inches each to give me a overall wheelbase of 105". Keeping the leaves in the back and going to built a custom 3 link in the front with DOM and hiems. Stearing will also be DOM with hiems. (over the knuckle for now)

Swap in and flip a D300, planing on twinsticking it with cable shifters. Going to build a custom crossmember and belly skid to hold it up. (in the future I want to put in 4 to 1 gears)

My tire of choice is a 36x12.5x(whatever) swamper sx.

I am going to build custom rocksliders and if I have enough time custom bumpers as well.

I want to have it ready for spring fever.

Last edited:

Baja

I have already aquired a 9in with the minispool, disc brakes and 5.13's. I am in the process of cleaning it up and getting it ready to mount.

I have also got a HD D44 which I am converting to 5 lug.

I will try to take and post as many pictures as I can while i am doing this build.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Take some notes on the conversion to 5 lug...I'm going down that path sometime next year, and while it seems straightforward, it'd be nice to know someone who's actually done it.

Sounds like a sweet plan, and I look forward to following your build :beer:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Take some notes on the conversion to 5 lug...I'm going down that path sometime next year, and while it seems straightforward, it'd be nice to know someone who's actually done it.

Sounds like a sweet plan, and I look forward to following your build :beer:

Shouldn't be too hard, I converted a 1/2 ton HP 44 to 6 lug -- Ford spindles GM hubs & bearings

Good luck with the build, looking forward to following it.
:beer:

Baja

I can do both at the same time lol. I can teach you while i design my parts lol

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
I can do both at the same time lol. I can teach you while i design my parts lol

I guess that means you are designing them at my house? LoL IIRC, you don't have a pc at home, damn BB users.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
no I have a pc at home, just no internet for it. Hence the bb.

Ahhh, I thought you didn't even bother to get one for home, since no I'net in the boonies (called Xplornet yet?). OK, back to on topic... LoL

Baja

Did a little work on the weekend but forgot to take pics. Got the 9inch tore down and cut all the brackets off of it and started cleaning it up. (it was set up for four link so there were a lot of brackets) I also ordered a new drive pin for it as the old one is broke.

I got my Jeep up on jackstand and ready to pull the axles out this week.

Baja

Got some more work done this weekend. I pulled the front and rear axles out of my jeep and I finished cleaning up the 9in which is now ready for mockup.
I need to pick up some steel and also a set of leaf springs and then I can start building the rear. Sorry no pics my wife had the camera in toronto this weekend.