PROJECT - My First Jeep

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
yeah, i think i will be doing a similar setup although that's on the bottom of my priority list right now - man i wish i had a money tree!

Baja

I haven't posted in a while but I have been working on the Jeep. The old axles have been stripped out, and the front, and my old tires are sold so I am past the point of no return. This is how the jeep sits now up on jackstands.

A few weekends ago I started cleaning up the 9in for the rear. It now cleaned up and ready to be mocked up into place.
Since this pic spring perches have been cut off.

weekend before last I got my new (new to me) tires. 36x12.5x15 TSL sx's. From what I was told these are the tires that were on Adrian's Toy at one time and thanks to Dirk I have rims that fit my new axles bolt pattern.

Baja

This weekend I started fabing up my new rear susp. The plan is to run an Ford Ranger main leaf and stack my RE lift pack under it. Because the front of the Ranger spring is 2.5 inches longer then the XJ spring it will stretch the rear that much. They are also aprox. 6 inches longer to help out in the flex department.

I am keeping the front mount in the same location but and moving the rear shackle mount down and forward a little. Compined with about a 6 in shackle should give me a good shackle angle and lift I am looking for.

Here are some pics of the rear shackle mount.
Cardboard mockup

Tacked together

Holding it in place. I am waiting to get Gas for my welder before I burn them in.

The new shackle mount bracket will hang off the bottom of that plate. I have drilled holes for spot/plug welds to the old shackle mount.

Baja

Once i got the rear shackle boxes done I start on making my own uniframe stiffeners. They are 1/8 thick and I have drilled 1" holes in them for more welding area.

I started welding these in with flux core but decieded to stop and wait until I get gas for my welder. Hopefully this week.

Next I have designed a set of U-bolt elimiators that I still need to cut out. (might get Mike to cut these). Once I have finalized the design I will post some pics.

I have bought all the steel I need to make the new crossmember but I still need to pick up a dana300 and either buy/design and make a clocking ring for the dana300 to the AW4.

The dana44 is sitting in my garage and is ready to be tore down.

Last edited:

Baja

Looking good Scott! I have your D44 diff guard too.

Sweet thanks. I don't know when I will be in Ottawa for a while (next meeting???) but if you are coming this way bring it with, I have the money set aside.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
That was my plan, no plans to head that way anytime soon though. But you know how things go with the family! LoL Hell, could just send it to your parents with your sister.

Baja

Thanks for the advice John. I think I am already doing what you said. If you look at the pic of the stiffener the one end goes to a point for this very reason. I should do the same to the other end though.
I will remember this when I am doing other mounts and such as well.

Baja

Thanks Merek.
Can't wait too wheel this summer. Were going to have some sweet XJ's

Cochise

Thanks Merek.
Can't wait too wheel this summer. Were going to have some sweet XJ's

x2. Can't wait to beat on mine. Already know where I should fix my near stocker, but want to experience the evolution as it happens. :D

See ya on the trails.

Baja

SOOOOOOOOO

I kinda bought a YJ on the weekend and was going to use it for parts but after giving it a once over I realized that it is in better shape then my XJ.
SO

Looks like I am going to be building the YJ instead.
I am going to be putting the same axles that I had for the XJ under it and the D300. Still going to run the 36 sx's.

My question is do I link the front or the rear? Any suggestions. I really only have enough money to do one or the other but we will see.