PROJECT - My First Jeep

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
When i saw you bought that YJ i was wondering if this is what you where gunna do. IMHO i think you should do the front first. I'm guessing it may be abit easier and i'm guessing the rear would involve stretching it and comp cutting? :) I'm lookin forward to seeing what you are gunna do! ;)

Marek

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
I would link the back if you can only do one right now. The rear is easier to do than the front and also is a little more forgiving if you don't get it right. The front leaves will give you more stability on the trail until you can even out the suspension and link the front. The rear is a good place to learn about linking it up. Build in lots of adjustment so you can tune the rear to the front down the road.

that makes alot of sense - doing the back first seems a better start.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Hmmm......I think he is building a 3-link in the front, is that not easier than getting the triangulation right on the rear? Just wondering.

Baja

So here is what I am thinking.
I do think the rear will be easier, I dont thing the Triangulation will be that hard because I can built a custom cross member to hold the frame side links. I just think it will be easier to package then the three link.
Also I do want to stretch the wheelbase a little so that will agian be easier in the back as all I have to worry about back there is the gastank.

Keep the comments comming though, still not 100% decided

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Link the rear first - wheelhop is far more noticable in the rear, so you can get rid of that. Less stuff to work around, so it's easier to set up (like you said, basically only the gas tank). Tri-4 link is pretty easy to get something in there, and if you build in a lot of adjustment, you can learn a lot and dial in the Jeep exactly how you want it. No need to comp cut anything, you can open up the wheelwells without going all the way.

My 2 cents, it's where I would (and hopefully will) start myself.

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
Cool Scott. How much can you strech it? I know Brad has some crusher corners for streching your wheelbase to 100inches but then again i know the budget yoru on. If you can i think that is probably ideal for a yj, but then again i am a little biased, lol.

Baja

As for going tons it is just not worth giving up the ground clearance for the trails around here. I am only going to be running a 36 inch tire.

And Matt I am going to try to get it to about 100-102 wb range but still need to do a little research. I have spent the last year researching XJ stuff and now I need to look at YJ stuff.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
did you get the XJ frame stiffeners welded on or do you still have them?
oops, just went back and reread the thread - you did burn em in.

Last edited:

Baja

Merek, a cage is on the list but it is near the bottom lol.

And ya I burnt in the stiffners. Guess that is time wasted now lol

Baja

I have done a pile of work since the last time I updated this thread but thanks to my works security bullshit I am unable to post pics.

The YJ had a 4.2 and a AX15 in it. I didnt want to have to deal with the carb offroad and I really like wheeling with an auto so I decided to swap in the 4.0 and AW4 from my XJ. This went pretty well, I took computer, harness and all from the XJ and spliced it into the YJ harness. (lots of research and a good set of wiring diagrams goes a long way when doing this). The motor is now in and running.

I ordered an adapter and clocking ring to flip the D300 behind the AW4 from Novak. I have to say the kit works well but it would be nice to have a couple more clocking options. Luckily one of the few options that I did have worked good for me. I built a custom mount for the trans so I could reuse the YJ skidplate/crossmember. It is all bolted in place now and tucks up nice.

This week I will be tearing down the D44 and getting it ready for the new gears, locker and shafts (which I still have to order). I got a set of waggy springs for the front which will bolt in and give me 2 inches of stretch and 2 inches of lift (plus SOA).

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have front axle striped down and mocked up into place with the new springs.

Sorry for not having pictures, I will try to figure something out.

Baja

Well the Jeep is all together and after a few minior fixes it performed very well. The 4 link works awsome, and love the stability of the leafs up front and full width axles. I still cant post pics here but I was able to post some in the garage section here http://ovo.ca/forums//garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=19
I have a few more things I would like to do. One I need a set of beadlocks very badly as one of my tires has a bad bead. I also ripped off a factory leaf spring mount on the front so I am going to have to make new stronger ones. oh and make some new shock mounts for the back. (ripped mine right out, shouldnt have made those at 2 in the morning).