Build Project - SS Cherokee

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Not sure what the ring gear to housing clearance on the bottom is on those housings but what I did is cut the bottom of the housing out and weld the 1/4" flush with the bottom, giving just enough clearance for the ring and pinion. Here is the build:

http://www.webercomputing.net/~aweber/truck/AxleProject.htm

Not very good pics but you can kind of see what I mean.

I gained about 3/4" of clearance under the housing and still had the 1/4 plate to skid on. It made a huge difference.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
This pic shows the inside:

N

Nimmer

Nice build mucovich! I think I met you at Camp NL last year. I will be taking some ideas from you I think for next year!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Thanks Nimmer! Adrian, I see what you mean, and now that i think about it that probably would have been the best way to do it. I don't have the ring gear on the carrier (third member is all apart) so i took the "lazy" way about it but I will be keeping this in mind!

marek

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
So I did alittle more work today and took Dirk and Dwayne's ideas and using the scrap 1/4 I have lying around built some diff protection. It turned out pretty good, beefy at the very least...

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
update

Well I'm still waiting for my gears and install kits but they should be in this week. I did get a visit by the UPS man today - the shafts for the front, simple job to put em together. I should have it sitting on it's wheels next week.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Picked up my wheels yesterday and look pretty good - right now anyways. Friday all the parts will be in so it's looking like saturday i'll finish building the axles and the install will begin! Today i'll be throwing in the brake lines - almost there! :D

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
That's getting close to the wire now, isn't it? LoL Hope all goes well and you get it done by Thursday, else the wife will need to drive down and you can wrench while on the trailer. :)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
That's getting close to the wire now, isn't it? LoL Hope all goes well and you get it done by Thursday, else the wife will need to drive down and you can wrench while on the trailer. :)

Ya, i'm feeling the pinch! it'll be a busy week coming up. Thanks Brad, I couldn't resist a couple extra dollars for the skulls :)

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Well, I was out all day getting a start on putting the jeep back together. Needless to say I ran into some expected bumps in the road, had to do some trial and error to get the geometry right and as I expected i'll have to shorten the trackbar, i'll do that tomorrow.
I'll also be taking in my rear driveshaft in to a local machine shop to get a couple of inches added, again as I expected just a little too short.

This is the rear end in, did some work on the brake lines but it's incomplete - i'll finish that once everything else is buttoned up.

And withh the wheels on...

now to the front...

and how i left it for this evening... more to come tomorrow!!

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
uggghhhh, well i'm almost ready for rausch, and i will admit there where a few moments i thought maybe i wouldn't be ready! I also have to admit that although i've experienced some stressful moments in my life, the last couple of days rank right up there. I think I may have a few more grey hairs! I didn't take as many pics as I had hoped because frankly i was too busy doing a million and one things.

I'll start with yesterday, I had to shorten my trackbar, i only took the 2 pics so don't worry i did sleeve it...

So as of the end of yesterday she was sitting on all 4 tires. The problems started to arrise with the steering setup, with all my brackets in the stock location I had problems with the tierod clearance. We worked it out with some "massaging" but realized that the draglink and tierod would bind as the passenger side suspension cycled upwards. Plan B was to run a stock tierod in the stock location but I didn't have one.

So I called Baja and he had one lying around (thanks again Scott!!) So for Rausch i'll be running that - i'll be redesigning the steering in the fall. I did have to ream out the Reid knuckle though because it came ready to accept wimpy jeep tierods ends.

So after a full day of work, tightening, greasing, checking, rechecking and measuring we where ready to get to the brakes. We figured that would be the easy part until we realized that the master cylinder and booster are pooched, so no brakes for me.

I was that close to calling it game over, but I gave Dwayne a call because i knew he had dealt with this before. Long story short the jeep is ready minus rear driveshaft (done tomorrow) and brake booster and cylinder. I was going to upgrade to a grand cherokee system but side lined that until the fall, well i guess i'm forced to upgrade now! The plan is to haul the jeep to dwaynes and do the install there as the replacment parts are in Arnprior. I'll just leave the cherokee at his place and pick it up thursday morning. Come hell or high water it'll be ready. I guess i'll probably install the rear shaft in Rausch.

So here are some pics before it got dark of the semi-finished product just after I re-did the air line for the ARB because it some how :)confused:) melted itself onto the header. (guess I should've been more careful in my routing!)