PROJECT - Truktor

D

Dirk

This will be my most utilitarian build ever.
Starting with a1980 Toyota, will ditch the bed, throw in a Diesel, a W56, and a couple lockers and t-Cases..... :D

Last edited:
D

Dirk

'82 2.2litre Toyota diesel.

Not the best by any measure. But i have it on hand, maybe a 1KZ-TE later.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Aussie Lockers in the carriers.....finally getting something done. If only my other parts would arrive.

Last edited:
J

Joust

cool aussie lockers. I need to get me one. but i don't want to put those in the front. I'll have to get something there that I can turn off.

D

Dirk

gave that some thought before i bought them.
I'll see how the first winter goes, and if I get sick of unlocking hubs.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
What's the appeal of the Aussie lockers? Just curious.

I haven't looked into lockers in a while (years), besides I have a Detroit and when it moves to the front a spool will replace it.:D

J

Joust

half the price.
on all the time but will allow one wheel to turn faster so you can turn corners and not drag tires.
half the price.
go into standard carriers.
oh and they are cheaper than others too.

drawback, you cannot turn them off so in a front axle they can make winter driving scary.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
on all the time but will allow one wheel to turn faster so you can turn corners and not drag tires.

go into standard carriers.

So aside from price, better than a Lock-Rite for locking ability (ie more like a Detroit) but doesn't require a replacement carrier like the Detroit (which would explain the price difference)

D

Dirk

yup, similar to the detroit in operation, and cheaper. When i shopped around, i couldn't find a bad review on them.

And as far as swinging the back end around, absolutely. Used to a rear spool in my last truck, way too much fun. :D

Lift should arrive today......should have more to post soon.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
So aside from price, better than a Lock-Rite for locking ability (ie more like a Detroit) but doesn't require a replacement carrier like the Detroit (which would explain the price difference)

Same performance as a lock rite, just cheaper. Not as robust as a Detroit. I had to go Lock Rite in the front of the 'Runner as Aussie doesn't make one for the 7.5" diff.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member

They also have an good warranty with no tire size limitation.

We do not have exclusion in our warranty covering locker use in vehicles with oversized tires. Generally the biggest issue with oversized tires is the diameter of the tires themselves.

Tires should always be run at the tire pressure recommended by the manufacturer. The diameter of the tires should be within 3/8” of each other on the same axle. If one tire has a larger diameter either from pressure difference or manufacturing variances it will cause the locker to constantly lock and unlock creating excessive wear and this will void the warranty. Replace any tire that is outside of the recommended tire diameter allowance.

Another area to consider when installing a locker in a vehicle with oversized tires is that this type of setup puts significantly greater stress on the original equipment manufacturers components in the differential. The locker is designed to withstand these stresses but should another component fail, and the locker is damaged, the locker is not covered under warranty. Under no circumstances does Torq-Masters Technology, Inc, warranty cover parts that we do not supply as part of the order.

Basically, If you snap a inner axle and it takes out the locker, your screwed but otherwise everything is all good :)

D

Dirk

Everything i had ordered showed up this week, including warmer weather, guess I better get moving and assemble some of this stuff.

3" Trail gear lift came in, some how one of my front springs got mixed up in shipping with someone elses :eek: . But PJF4x4 is working, with the shipper to straighten that out.

Speaking of shipping......got hosed by UPS again, man I hate using them.
Got my dual case adapter from Marlin, (looks real shiny :D ) and shipping was dnear double of originally quoted. I don't blame Marlin for this, pretty sure they checked my postal code and quoted me the UPS rate, $55 US. When it gets here yesterday.....$107 CDN.....WTF? Ofcourse brokerage fee and duty..., did I mention I hate UPS? : rant off:
BTW, my Aussie lockers were shipped trough the US Postal service, 3 lockers in 1 box, $55 US, good deal, no extra charges.... only downfall is that the shippment can't be tracked...but so what.

And some stuff came from NSOR, rear disk parts, 4.7 gears , solid ponion spacers and some assorted parts.

Better than Xmas this week was. :D:D:D

So I went to assemble the 3 members last night, only to realize that the shims that come with the pinion spacer are only for in between the 2 pinion bearings, to set preload. There are none included to shim under the inner bearing to set pinion depth.:banghead:

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Got my 3rd's setup today.
All went reasonably well, shimming the solid collars was easier than I thought.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Tore into my T-case tonight.
Figured I may as well disasemble it completly to clean and inspect. And the Trail-Gear gear kit came with all seals and gaskets, so why not replace those while I am at it.
Tomorrow everything gets cleaned...then wish me luck putting it all back together.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Bad bearing on the front output shaft stopped my progress on the transfer case, will order a new on monday.

Started parting out another donor truck, "86 4x4. Power steering box for the high steer, 5 speed tranny, W52 and another T-case, forward shifting though. :(
Will also post the 22r in the for sale section.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
You'll want to keep the rear axle to swap in as it is 3" wider.
Also, if you have no use for them (and they are in good shape) I might take the front hub & brake assemblies off you.

D

Dirk

Still not sure about the wiidth, but I am leaning toward the wider stance.
Unless my rear disk setup does not fit inside the rims, i will use the wider rear axle. If they do not fit over the brakes, I'll run the skinnier axle and 1.5" spacers.
Either way, I'll need the IFS front hubs myself.

But if the tires stick out past the fenders too much, I may stick with the original skinny track front and rear......I really won't know untill i am further along in the build.

D

Dirk

Made some progress in the last few days.
Rear case is together with 4.7 gears. TG kit was complete, exept for the felt and cover for the front output shaft.....local Toy dealer got them for me.
Left the interlock pin out for the twin stick.
Ordered FROR Twinstick and T-case mount, should be here in a week or so.
Tore apart the front T-case, should have it together by the end of the week.
Scavanged the steering box from the '86 IFS truck and tucked the truck back in among the trees. :D
Fired up the '80 on Saturday and had some fun with it before it went under the knife.
I would have got a lot more done if I didn't have to wrench on my friends trucks. Fawkers :flipoff:

Took the box off and expected the worst, frame rot wise. But......this truck had extensive work done on the frame. The whole frame has been plated and gusseted and looks very solid. Only bad parts seem to be the bottom at the very center. Should be a quick fix unless the chipping hammer discovers more this week.

I may just make it for Spring Fever yet. (won't hold my breath tho)

Had a bit o' fun before it goes under the knife.

Last edited: