PROJECT - Truktor

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Stacks aren't always just cheesy you know

Just say NO to stacks :)

That's easy for you to say, you are not always going to be wheeling with him and be breathing the clouds of black smoke roiling from beneath. :flipoff:
If it's bad I think you it will be you naysayers should have to stand in lethal range at least one time when he gets stuck. :smokin:
You know that I almost had him talked into a nice stack but he wouldn't pony up for the proper shielding and therefore he was correct in stating that 'the kids riding in the back would burn their hands'. :p

Dwayne

D

Dirk

Semi-succesful weekend, another 20 or so hours into the truck. None of those on Saturday...had to get my buddies Mustang running again after his girlfriend attempted a diesel conversion..:lmao:......drained all the tank, new filter and plugs, and a garage full of white smoke when it finally started again.

back to the truck.
Fixed a few holes in the floor, primed and painted underneath. Mounted, for good this time, the cab (thx Dwayne and Steve for the lift). Ended up with a 2" bodylift, was hoping 1" would clear everything....but 2" it is.

Got the flat deck designed and mostly tacked together. Along witht he beginnings of a rear bumper and winch mount. Still have to cut holes for lights and finish around the reciever. Also working on my Battery tray mark II.

Picked up my hydraulic valve and ordered the pump. Makes me wish I had a larger cab, I am loosing sleep over how to mounts the valves...
Hoping to get the deck mostly finished this week and get my timing belt changed...maybe it will even run in a week or 2.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Trying to fit my Power steering box last night...and have a few questions. :confused:
Has anyone used the Trail-Gear IFS Power Steering box into a solid axle truck swap kit? FarmBoy?

We trimmed the inner fender and removed the little bumper mount on top of the frame. The plasma cutter works so well, thx Dwayne.

Instruction say to move the box as far forward as possible, and tilt it forward until there is 1/2" clearance between the pitman arm and the frame.
Its as far forward as possible and tilted as prescribed, but the drag link still is not totally clear of the tierod. So when I stuff my left front into the fender, the drag link and tierod may touch.

Could someone shed some light on this for me or if your truck had this installed, let me look at it or shoot me a pic or two.

I just read this, if you haven't solved this problem, I'll get you some pics tomorrow.

Instructions? I didn't get any with mine (or the t-case gears either for that matter) I used the TG IFS mounting bracket but was completely un impressed with it what a PITA to line up. I had to cut over 1" off the lower rear edge to line up with the frame. Also, drilling the 3/4" hole thru the frame for the sleives was impossible to get lined up properly. I'm also using the flat pitman arm rather than one of the drop ones, perhaps this explains why I had to cut the bracket. I attached the steering shaft, pitman arm and draglink first and then lined it all up by eye with JUST enough room for the TRE at the end of the pitman arm to clear the frame then marked the holes to mount it. Then fawked with it, fawked with it, swore a bunch , beat on it, fawked with it some more and finally after a couple hours was able to get the mounting bolts in. POS mounting bracket.

I still have some room to move my axle forward without the tierod hitting the drag link and never gave it much thought as I was doing it.

D

Dirk

AH....pretty much the same procedure I used.....good to hear that it wasn't just me. Got it mounted, just thought that there had to be a better way...
I was able to drill through though, but was it ever hard on the drill. Had to stop several times to let it cool. Gonna have to buy a slow speed 1/2" drill.
I ended up completely removing the stock bumper mounts on top of the frame so i could slide the PS box ahead enough so that the drag and tie rod wouldnt touch when the suspension compresses.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Decided to make may own tabs for clevises.....but my little drillpress was not up to the job.

So I picked up a new toy...errhhh, Tool.

and drilled some holes:

6 holes, just gotta cut them apart and weld them on. :)

and rear winch mounting plate.......

Its so nice to drill once and things fit. No reaming like on the front one and constantly sharpening bits 'cause the hand drills run too fast.

I do wish i had the $$$ for a mag drill....

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Small update from last weekend.
Didn't make it to SuziCan. :( Had a whitewater rafting trip scheduled, had guests for the weekend and worked on Monday.

So I only had Canada Day to work on the truck.
Almost finished the bed. All sheetmetal tacked into place, clevis tabs tacked on, etc....
Still missing battery mount, under-deck storage boxes and hatch and lights. Should get most of that done tonight. Then take the whole thing off to weld and paint it.

There will also be a tailgate/tire mount and a rack for canoes/kayaks and a roofrack, but I won't touch those until the truck is drivable.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Hydraulic pump came in at Princess Auto, will pick it up next week. :D
Can't wait to run those winches.

R

Root Moose

I like what you're doing with the bed. Do you have a specific thing in mind for using it for? Is something supposed to slide in or is it just for cargo of whatever type?

D

Dirk

Rear winch mounts about 30cm inboard from the bumper. And there will be 2 large ammo boxes for gear also, in that large open space, covered by a hinged lid.
I should have that finished tonight, will post detail pics tomorrow.

I am quite happy with my rear bumber design...form and function... especially the tapered sides and bottom.

Purpose? well I had sleepless nights over the design.
Main criteria are:
- hidden rear winch
- watertight storage for recovery equipment
- large enclosed storage, for tools, supplies, etc...
- spot for a jerry can
- house two group 31 batteries
- deck space for 2 large coolers or similar size boxes
- sides high enough to prevent items from sliding/falling off, including my dogs. :)
- trailer hitch
- hold the spare tire

It will meet all those except the last one, for now. I am quickly approaching my target date and the swing-away tailgate/spare-tire-holder will come later.
It will also at a later date get a removable rack to transport canoes/kayaks and more camping gear.

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

Very cool.

If I ever get around to getting an MJ I want to make one of those small tent trailers slide into / ontop of it. Sort of a collapsible slide in camper dealie.

D

Dirk

I considered that also, but didn't go that way because I wouldn't get much use out of it. But I am planning on buildind a trailer later That will have a popup tent in it, kinda like those safari trailers.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
- hold the spare tire
- trailer hitch

It will meet all those except the last one, for now. I

Uhhhh.... What's that 2" square piece sticking out below the winch/fairlead spot?

How heavy do you figure the bed is going to be?

Progress looks great, keep it up. :beer:

D

Dirk

My bad.... edited the posts and mixed up last 2 items...fixed now. :banghead:

Took the bed off tonight and started welding it. Estimated weight 300lbs.

And since you mentioned camper slide-in, I have been thinking more about it...never know, if I get bored in the winter may just fab one up. :)

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

If you haven't seen this before, lots of neat info on "adventure trailers" here:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42

Couple of units that may be adaptable? Just for ideas - we can start another thread to keep this on topic.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14082
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13650

A "convertible" slide in would be cool. Take one of the old style tent trailers and make it convert from a slide in or a sit on a trailer depending on where you are going or whatever.

No such options with my XJ. :) But I have a decent little cheap trailer that I picked up to turn into an "AT". I forget what make mine is but it's kinda like a Apache Eagle

D

Dirk

Cool trailer builds, like the second one best.

I like trailers, some of my friends may say I have a trailer fetish....but what do they know. :flipoff:
Maybe we need to start a trailer thread ..... :)

R

Root Moose

These guys make probably the best in the North American market:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

But bring buckets o' cash. The TacoChaser is ?ber cool.

The shape of the trailer box makes it an obvious setup for sliding into a truck bed.

D

Dirk

My Co-Pilot dropped by the shop to check on progress...
Back to business.
Battery mount completed, and batteries fit...

Cut and fit rear lights.....:D

Deck all done....and ready for paint

Primed and rock guarded the bottom, but camera batteries died, more pics tomorrow.

Last edited: