PROJECT - Truktor

D

Dirk

Inspected the frame last night.....Yes, there is still a frame left. :flipoff:

Frame needs only minor repair, a foot long plate either side. :D
And.....the cab need nearly no work.....floor pans are original and solid.

Drive train comming out this weekend. If anyone is looking for a good running 22r...last chance to hear it.

Pricing winches too.....pretty much set on a milemarker 9000 hydraulic.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Inspected the frame last night.....Yes, there is still a frame left. :flipoff:

Frame needs only minor repair, a foot long plate either side. :D
And.....the cab need nearly no work.....floor pans are original and solid.

Drive train comming out this weekend. If anyone is looking for a good running 22r...last chance to hear it.

Pricing winches too.....pretty much set on a milemarker 9000 hydraulic.

I'd think long and hard before getting a hydraulic winch. They have a HUGE downside (beside being slow) is that the engine must run for it to work and relies on a ususally weak power steering pump to provide the power. You can always keep swaping batteries from other trucks to keep an electric working. Electric will also work with the truck on it's side.

M

Morley

Dirk,

That truck looks in great shape..!

I just love the look of the ole skool toyota's... They're just like the Tonka Toys I used to have as a kid :D

D

Dirk

Morley, I couldn't believe the shape it is in until i crawled under it. :D

The Hydraulic winch debate.....! I have thought about this for a long time, and am aware of the limitations, well really just the one, the engine has to run.
I say thats the only one because I plan on a better pump, TG Rock assault possibly, which will take care of the pump issue.

But I agree that your points are very valid. But there is more to consider.
I own a Warn MX8000, great winch, had it for about 18 years now. Power to run it is not an issue with 2 1000cca batteries and proper cables.
In all that time, I may have winched my truck out three times without the engine running. I have never had to winch it back on its wheels either. ( that may change now tho :) )

My biggest beef with electrics is the heat buildup. A few hard pulls and the motor needs to cool down, and motors are damaged by overheating.

The hydraulic should never fail me (as long as the engine runs) and will pull all day long without heating up. And it is in line with the utilitarian nature of the build.

Should I be unable to use it though, I will mount and electric under the bed. This way I think I have all angles covered.

And the speed difference is not that great. I'll post some specs and comparissons to electric tomorrow.

D

Dirk

More progress this weekend.

Finished tearing the truck down, box and cab are off. Pressure washed both, ready to start welding on the frame. Cut off all brackets and crap i won't need...a bit of a diet for the truck. :D

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Finally found some time to compile some comparison data.

..............................MileMarker 75-50085C......Warn XD9000i......Warn M8000.........Warn 9.5xp........Superwinch LP8500......Superwinch EPi9000......Ramsay Patriot 9500
Rated line pull...........9000lb @ 1500psi............9000lb @ 460A.....8000lb @ 235A......9500lb @ 480A...8500lb @ 320A............9000lb @ 350A.............9500lb @ 430A
Loaded line speed......6.2 ft/min (low spd).........6.4 ft/min............8 ft/min...............7.6 ft/min.........3.5 ft/min....................6.4 ft/min...................7.8 ft/min
Unloaded line speed...33.6 ft/min (hi spd)..........38 ft/min.............40 ft/min.............38 ft/min...........18 ft/min.....................47.1 ft/min..................35.4 ft/min
Height.....................8".................................10".....................7.6"....................7.7"..................8.6"...........................7.13"..........................9.94"
Weight....................88 lbs............................85 lbs.................74 lbs..................87 lbs...............76 lbs........................114 lbs........................93 lbs

Also a link to a video. http://www.milemarker.com/video/comparison.html
(Ofcourse, bear in mind that its the manufacturer who made it as a promo, but the testing seems to be objective.)

:stir:

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Glad I have an M8000 :) Fastest Line speed, lowest amp draw and Lightest :p

D

Dirk

lol, you did change your Avatar. :D

I have an old MX8000 (on its second motor) and its a great winch.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Interesting comparason. I know I wouldn't trade the 62 ft/min of my HS9500i for anything other than an 8274.

D

Dirk

I just want to say, I hate salt.......and welding burns. :mad:

Stripped the truck down to the frame and started fixing the frame.
It had all been plated from the front hanger of the rear spring to the rear of the frame, before I got it. And the rest seemd solid, but after pressure washing and hammering...things looked different.
So I started to plate the frame inside and out and underneath, with 3/16 and 1/4 plate. Should hold up now.
Also tacked the hangers and installed one of the new rear leaves. :D
They seem massive for the truck and compared to the old ones......I sure hope they'll flex.

Order the hydraulic winches.....changed my mind and going hydro front and rear. Screw those sissy electrics. :flipoff:
Maybe once truck is together we can have a "winch off". :stir:

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Maybe pick a hill and you have to winch up it. Points for speed and distance pulled before your winch stalls. That would be fair to all rigs as winches should be matched to the rig.
Or pull a weighted sled, or heavy rig up a hill or something like that.
Or all of the above for points, winner for each category and one overall.

As far as the frame stiffness goes....good point, one I have pondered myself.
Weakest spot will be where it will try to flex or break.
So either have a frame capable of flexing and returning to its normal position unharmed, or eliminate flex altogether (or closests thing to that).

My plan is the later, mainly because of the frames deteriorated condition.
Once I finish the reinforcing, add rocksliders tied into a flatdeck flex should be very limited. Later it will get a full exo, which should further curb flexing.

I just hope those 3" TG springs flex enough to make up the lost frame flex.

D

Dirk

frame welding all done....what a PITA.

Mocked up the suspension and Cab so I could measure for rocksliders.
Priced steel but TG rocksliders were only a few bucks more, so Danny at PJF hooked me up with 58" sliders. I wasn't about to cut, bend, weld for less than $50. Also noticed that I was missing front U-bolts and plates from my lift kit, (how we didn't notice that when we went through the kit is beyond me) but again PJF took care of me and is sending them.

Without any weight on them the 3" springs are so tall...wonder how much they'll sag. The 33x13.50x15's look tiny on the truck. But I plan to have room for 38-39's later.

Also assembled the T-case to the tranny and the diesel bell housing.

Twin stick and T-case mounts are on the way.....hopefully get here next week.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Looking good!

Without any weight on them the 3" springs are so tall...wonder how much they'll sag. The 33x13.50x15's look tiny on the truck. But I plan to have room for 38-39's later.

3" and 33s should be fine. They will definately sag both with the full weight of the truck and once they are broken in. I've got 3" spring and 3" body and my 38s still hit the firewall even with some massage work from a BFH. I'd reccomend moving the front axle forward a couple inches for clearance while you are building.

D

Dirk

Weekend update:

Motor, tranny & t-cases mounted in the truck. T-case mount came in on friday and is tacked in place. As did my twin stick and t-case skid plate.
Cab is back on and it looks like a 1" body lift is the way to go for clearance.
Found out that the diesel motormounts dont quite fit the mounts on the frame, but the 22r mounts fit the diesel engine....that sucked a few hours out of my weekend, but its all together now.
The oilpan is another story, its real wide and overall mis-shapen....the Qasimodo of oilpans. Will take some modifying so the diff wont crush it when I stuff the left front wheel into the fender well.
Also tore the front axle apart and started cleaning it...should be together by next weekend....IF parts arrive.

D

Dirk

Trying to fit my Power steering box last night...and have a few questions. :confused:
Has anyone used the Trail-Gear IFS Power Steering box into a solid axle truck swap kit? FarmBoy?

We trimmed the inner fender and removed the little bumper mount on top of the frame. The plasma cutter works so well, thx Dwayne.

Instruction say to move the box as far forward as possible, and tilt it forward until there is 1/2" clearance between the pitman arm and the frame.
Its as far forward as possible and tilted as prescribed, but the drag link still is not totally clear of the tierod. So when I stuff my left front into the fender, the drag link and tierod may touch.

Could someone shed some light on this for me or if your truck had this installed, let me look at it or shoot me a pic or two.

D

Dirk

Took a week of work and the truck is coming together now....again.
Thats after I tore it all apart again to finish welding what was tacked in place and paint the frame.

Frame is completed, welded, painted and started to bolt stuff to it. Front winch mount and clevis mounts also done. Axles rebuilt, wheel to wheel, everything new....holy $$$$$.

Complete drivetrain installed, Motor, tranny, t-cases, driveshafts & axles. Fuel tank installed and skidplate fabbed. Exhaust 75% complete, waiting for flatdeck to finalize it. Torn between turn down behind the cab or a stack....

Also fabricated a new oilpan, but pickup still needs to be done. T-case skidplate and x-member installed. Had to modify the driveshaft parking brake, by cutting amd welding it to the X-member.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Took a week of work and the truck is coming together now....again.
Thats after I tore it all apart again to finish welding what was tacked in place and paint the frame.

Frame is completed, welded, painted and started to bolt stuff to it. Front winch mount and clevis mounts also done. Axles rebuilt, wheel to wheel, everything new....holy $$$$$.

Complete drivetrain installed, Motor, tranny, t-cases, driveshafts & axles. Fuel tank installed and skidplate fabbed. Exhaust 75% complete, waiting for flatdeck to finalize it. Torn between turn down behind the cab or a stack....

Also fabricated a new oilpan, but pickup still needs to be done. T-case skidplate and x-member installed. Had to modify the driveshaft parking brake, by cutting amd welding it to the X-member.

Have pics, but need to upload them to somewhere to link to. will do that later.

Just say NO to stacks :)