PROJECT - Truktor

D

Dirk

Took a quick picture this mornig, primed & Rockguarded.

Agonized for several days whether to spray boxliner or rock guard.
From what I have read, cheap boxliners don't always turn out well..especially if the prep work isnt perfect. And I hate body prep work, so it was out.
Commercially available spray-in boxliners cost is not in my budget.
So I shot rock guard. I did the bed for under $20 and when, not if, it peel and scratches, I'll buy a $10 rattle can and touch it up.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

and anyone who thinks this thing will be turtle slow...

as you can clearly see in this "ready for blast off" pic, it is designed for supersonic speed. :flipoff:

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

LOL

Did the big stein of flat guinness inside the XJ engine bay have anything to do with this?

D

Dirk

hehe, good eye....

Rum & Pepsi actually...but has similar effect.. :beer:

D

Dirk

Late night last night, but got a bunch done...but forgot my camera at the shop. :banghead:
Installed and welded the deck on last night....fit like a glove.
Removed the steering column, wirin harness and an buch of other stuff in the cab......next step paint.

D

Dirk

Here the latest pics:

Bed going on:

All welded up and Ammo boxes in their places:

with the lid open (rear winch not yet installed):

With toolbox and Jerry can:

And check out Dwayne under the Cherokee pulling the T-Case......gotta keep oil in that thing dude. :stir:

Wheel clearance for 37-39's...on 33's right now:

:beer:

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Nice work!
You'll like the flatbed, changes your driving style when there is nothing to worry about behind your shoulders.
Should be lots-o-room for real tires even after the springs settle. My 38's fit with only minor rub with 3" Body, BFH, and slightly negative arch front springs (well worn originally 3" lift)

How many pounds of rod are in that thing?

D

Dirk

My least favorite part of any automotive project is behind me now on this build.....PAINT. I just hate the prepwork....and it shows. But the truck turned out exactly as expected....ORANGE. :lmao:

Inside too....

...and Grey out back.

Thanks Dwayne for all your help this weekend. :beer:

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
My least favorite part of any automotive project is behind me now on this build.....PAINT. I just hate the prepwork....and it shows. But the truck turned out exactly as expected....ORANGE. :lmao:

BASTID!!!!! I guess I should have painted mine this spring. Anyone want to buy a gallon of of Orange Tremclad?

Now to pick a new color for mine..........

D

Dirk

Tremclad? It'll will be way different...I used Armor Coat paint....and the tiger stripes would be real cool. :lmao:

Installed winches and rear lights& stuff....and shocks....

flexing as good as it gets in the shop....

Front shock is extended to the limit...will need longer ones or limiting straps. :pissed:

Rear upper shock mount needs to move inward....shock is 2/3 compressed with the truck sitting level. Will make some new mounts tomorrow.

Things you don't see until theres some weight on the springs...

Last edited:
R

Root Moose

any chance of swapping the front shocks to the rear and vice versa to make it work?

Just thinking that the more inclined the rear shocks become the softer the truck will become in roll. If you care...you did say you want to drive this machine regularly so maybe it is something to think about.

If swapping is not possible try inclining and see what it is like.

Btw, rig looks great! :)

D

Dirk

rears are shorter than fronts, 10" vs 12", swapping them wouldnt work. Since front are too extended and rears too compressed as is.

Yes it would tend to roll more, excellent point. Eventhough it will not be capable of any real high speeds, that is something to consider. I will make new shock mounts tonight, further inboard, but keep the old ones so I can changed location and see what the difference in handling is. I may even make and extra mount half way between to see which works best. :clue:

as far as buying longer ones for the front...looked up TG's sshock sizes:
Travel Length Extended length Collapsed Length
10" Stroke 25.93" 15.91"
12" Stroke 29.70" 17.91"
14" Stroke 34.90" 20.75"

As much as I could articulate it in the shop, the extended shock fully extended, so longer would be nice, but the compressed shock only had 3" to go until fuly collapsed. Looking at the chart above, if I went to the 14" stroke shock at 3" longe collapsed lengt, it would be bottoming out. So unless I was able to raise the upper mount, that plan is out the window.
For now I may just limit the travel and see how things look after the springs are broken in.

S

Steve B

What do you mean "Chrome won't get you home" I was counting on that!!@!!

D

Dirk

No worries Buddy, always a spot at the end of my tow strap for ya. :D

D

Dirk

Brought it home today, will spend a few days in my laneway to put the interior, door hardware, dash and wiring harness in.

All set for its first trip

Last edited:
D

Dirk

He ya go....

right side

left side

driveway is fairly level. Front sits a little high compared to the rear. I am hoping thats once the bumper is on and rad andfluids are in it will level out.

Tore the wiring harness out of the 2wd diesel cab tonight, and got it pulled into the truck. Steering column is back in too, but will have to change the ignition ....maybe tomorrow.

Last edited: