Thoughts on mid-larger SUVs

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
As far as the upscaled Durango based Aspen goes, it's a super plush ride, all the amenities but not a ton of cargo space inside, not as much as you'd expect anyways.
Interesting. When we go looking our plan is to bring all the dogs :).

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Well we may be looking faster than expected. I think the compressor for the AC is on its last legs and there is a whistling sound that seems to be coming from the back of the block and I am suspecting exhaust leak.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Why not just trade the Libby for a JK and rent a minivan the few times a year you need the extra cargo space?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Why not just trade the Libby for a JK and rent a minivan the few times a year you need the extra cargo space?

We thought of that but it would end up being once or twice a month and that would get tiring pretty damn quick
Looked at the Ford Flex last night. It is an option. Not an SUV per se but it might work. Still thinks it looks like a hearse

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yeah I would drive that. Hell I would drive a Grand Caravan if it had 4wd.

Well the Compressor for the AC screwed the pooch. Dropped it off at the dealership as they had replaced it a while back plus it is handy to get to work from there (and they have been good when I have had to use them). I also dropped it off there since we are looking for a new SUV and they lost on the opportunity to have test drive one of their models for a couple days. It might have swayed us...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Looked at two Ford Expeditions, a Durango and a Tahoe:
- one of the Expeditions already had the rocker rot
- other one had been road hard (former RCMP)
- Durango was ok but it was govt owned
- Tahoe was DND owned so definitely been used but not as bad as Expo. Other thing is no lie flat but talking about it we aren't taking them out of the picture as I could probably build a small platform in the back to level things out (the things you do for your dogs)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Came to the conclusion too small. Buddy at work has one and looking at the rear storage they are about a half foot too short.
Also don't like how the rear seats stow where they fold up against the side windows.
Can work with the Tahoe (which by the way finally realized to change things in 2015) but not the 4Runner
No 4Runner yet...

Last edited:

trixter192

Club Member
Came to the conclusion too small. Buddy at work has one and looking at the rear storage they are about a half foot too short.
Also don't like how the rear seats stow where they fold up against the side windows.
Can work with the Tahoe (which by the way finally realized to change things in 2015) but not the 4Runner

Look at a sequoia.

junkpile

Those new Tahoes and 'burbans are very nice indeed. The Sequoia is nice too. What was your budget again?
So the 3rd row seating is now a real requirement? I thought the 5th gen 4Runner was fairly generous with cargo space as a 5 seater, but definitely not with the 3rd row seating. It's definitely more of a mid size sport ute, so not a fair comparison to a full size.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Those new Tahoes and 'burbans are very nice indeed. The Sequoia is nice too. What was your budget again?
So the 3rd row seating is now a real requirement? I thought the 5th gen 4Runner was fairly generous with cargo space as a 5 seater, but definitely not with the 3rd row seating. It's definitely more of a mid size sport ute, so not a fair comparison to a full size.

Looking around 20K max (after taxes, registration). Sequioas are pretty rare, but size wise they are good (there is a total of 3 in the vicinity up for sale)

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I don't remember it costing that much new in '87, although I still thought it was an ugly turd back then.