Thoughts on mid-larger SUVs

Logan

apparently the prezident
Club Member
My dad picked up a 2011 Yukon and loves it. All the options as the escalade, but 5.3 and selectable 4x4. Seems fairly good on fuel despite being a full size SUV.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
My dad picked up a 2011 Yukon and loves it. All the options as the escalade, but 5.3 and selectable 4x4. Seems fairly good on fuel despite being a full size SUV.

We are interested in a 07 Tahoe and waiting for financing to come through before we actually start looking further. The fact that they can shut off cylinders for mileage is a good option. Yukons are harder to come by.

Baja

If fits in the budget look at 09 and newer as that is when they got the 6 speed Trans. Pretty good bump in fuel mileage.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I have been reading up on the 4 vs 6 spd and supposedly there is a benefit but not a huge one. The 6 speed is supposed to be more reliable but the last couple years of the 4 they had worked out all the kinks. Will definitely keep in mind.

If fits in the budget look at 09 and newer as that is when they got the 6 speed Trans. Pretty good bump in fuel mileage.

Last edited:

junkpile

I'm not sure if this is really relevant or not, but my dad has a 2008 or 09 Reg cab long box 4x4 Sierra with the multi-displacement 5.3l and he gets about 17mpg average hwy.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
That seems about right for the 4 speed. Does he have the 4 or 6 speed?

I'm not sure if this is really relevant or not, but my dad has a 2008 or 09 Reg cab long box 4x4 Sierra with the multi-displacement 5.3l and he gets about 17mpg average hwy.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member

Interesting. Will have to keep that in mind for my dad's.

All I know Chris is my dad's truck gets better millage towing my jeep then the jeep does driving. Never did the math though.

I have heard that the valve springs on the multi-displacement motors are weak, and regular oil changes are critical to prevent wiping out cam lobes.

Last edited by a moderator:

junkpile

Sorry yes It's a 4spd.
Baja, what's your "real world" mileage look like with your 'burb?

Last edited:

Baja

Real world daily avg 13.5 l/100km
Pure highway have got as low as 10 l/100km but usually around 11.

Towing Jeep on my light trailer around 19 per 100

Towing 4500lb travel trailer to bracebridge and back averaged 23.5 per 100

I have checked the dash with hand calcs. It is bang on for highway and a it is off a little for in town...worse than it says.

Also should note I don't drive slower than 90 anywhere and do 120 on the highway so I could probably get better if I babied it a little.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Real world daily avg 13.5 l/100km
Pure highway have got as low as 10 l/100km but usually around 11.

Towing Jeep on my light trailer around 19 per 100

Towing 4500lb travel trailer to bracebridge and back averaged 23.5 per 100

I have checked the dash with hand calcs. It is bang on for highway and a it is off a little for in town...worse than it says.

Also should note I don't drive slower than 90 anywhere and do 120 on the highway so I could probably get better if I babied it a little.

Decent difference unfortunately most of the >2009 I have seen are out of our budget.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Sooo we may be looking at 2010 Sahara JK today.
Anne wants to make absolutely sure we can't fit the three dogs and she hasn't looked at them closely enough. To be honest it may actually work. We have been looking at a Tahoe but once back to two dogs we were going to go get a 4 door JK anyways.

D

DuuhMojo

We use to own a 2008 Jeep Liberty, our new JK has more back space than that did. I guess for fitting three dogs it depends how big they are? What breeds are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Greyhounds which are all legs. 55, 70 and 80lbs each.

We can fit them in our liberty which is 69cuft and the JK is supposed to be about 82cuft. With the addition of a 9 year old girl to the family I figure she takes up about 10 cuft :)
It may work but we may have to muzzle them (the dogs not the girl).

We use to own a 2008 Jeep Liberty, our new JK has more back space than that did. I guess for fitting three dogs it depends how big they are? What breeds are they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
The one thing about this JK we are looking at is it is a 2010 so it has the 3.8. The pentastars are out of our budget. We are not planning on wheeling it nor putting bigger tires since it is going to be our grocery getter.