Thoughts on mid-larger SUVs

junkpile

Lol, I only brought it up again because you stated they were too small before, unless you were talking about the 4th gen (75.1cuft) BTW my father in law has that bumper sticker, seems to be working for him.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Lol, I only brought it up again because you stated they were too small before, unless you were talking about the 4th gen (75.1cuft) BTW my father in law has that bumper sticker, seems to be working for him.

Wifey loves the JK 4 doors and wants one, so if we bought anything else it has to meet the following criteria:
1. Has to be affordable
2. Has to have a lot of room
3. Has to not lose a lot of value once we are back down to 2 dogs as it will be replaced
Pick any 2 of the above
The Tahoe met 1 and 2.

If we get a JK now # 3 goes out the window. Especially if we can squeeze the three dogs and a kid in the back as we would be planning on keeping it.
Most of the yotas we have seen are about the same size as the JK but are usually priced high (they kind of meet #2 and do meet #3).

Function > Form

Club Member
We are not planning on wheeling it nor putting bigger tires ...

Uh huh. Let's see how long that lasts. ;) Knowing myself, I know I would still mod it no matter what I said when purchased, but maybe you have better will power!

Even if it has the poo-poo engine, it'll be an upgrade from your current vehicle.

Function > Form

Club Member
Did you guys buy something yet?

Ever thought of the GC with the CRD? Maybe too small. I think they have selectable e-lockers, or at least some of them do? I'm no expert in GCs, but thinking of my next logical vehicle for on-road.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Did you guys buy something yet?

Ever thought of the GC with the CRD? Maybe too small. I think they have selectable e-lockers, or at least some of them do? I'm no expert in GCs, but thinking of my next logical vehicle for on-road.

Our requirements changed so we got a 2014 JK Sahara Unlimited.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Cool - like it so far? I guess you have the nicer of the two gas engines which is good.
I do, the things I don't but can live with compared to the KJ:
- 3.27 gearing with 32" stock tires, which is downright silly as the gearing upgrade is $100cdn
- Stereo sound is muddy, I would have rather had tinny with a sub instead of muddy with a sub
- Electronic throttle

Yeah, first world problems and they are liveable, it isn't reasons to not buy but more of a head scratcher. It does have more space though and the KJ was long in the tooth. We did get a $800 tax receipt from Kidney Cars for it (I need the writeoffs more than the cash and couldn't be bothered putting any money into making it sellable). That said if I had the room we never would have got rid of it.

Function > Form

Club Member
Funny about the 3.27, probably bought by a soccer-parent or the like without any real 'car' knowledge.

Stereo you can fix of course and the two solid axles is a plus.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the lib when it's 'done' for on-road. Probably will keep it and kill it slowly off-road...luckily we have lots of room.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Nope, 3.27 is stock, and most for sale have them. Makes no sense. All the ones I looked at outside the one Rubicon (it was 2011) there was only one that had the upgrade in gearing. Don't know why they would even offer that as a default gearing for the Sahara. Still getting used to the electronic throttle, so used to the KJ and my TJ 4.56 where it is literally drop the clutch and it goes.

Funny about the 3.27, probably bought by a soccer-parent or the like without any real 'car' knowledge.

Stereo you can fix of course and the two solid axles is a plus.

I'm not sure what I'll do with the lib when it's 'done' for on-road. Probably will keep it and kill it slowly off-road...luckily we have lots of room.

Function > Form

Club Member
Maybe it has something to do with reducing shock load to the drivetrain in the minivan-crowd that now owns JKs (no offense of course). You had a 4-cyl KJ right? Pretty sure they all have 4.10s.

Is there a (software?) way to tighten up the throttle response? I assume there is a slight lag. I hate e-crap.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Maybe it has something to do with reducing shock load to the drivetrain in the minivan-crowd that now owns JKs (no offense of course). You had a 4-cyl KJ right? Pretty sure they all have 4.10s.

Is there a (software?) way to tighten up the throttle response? I assume there is a slight lag. I hate e-crap.
It was the six so it had the 3.73

It is definite lag and there is a company that sells a little box that connects to your throttle but stupidly sells for $300. I had heard rumours that this lag was introduced to minimize breakages offroading with the JK but like I said it was just a rumour