TJ Rubicon rebuild.

M

MadMax

New shocks are in and differential covers paint matched:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member

New shocks are in and differential covers paint matched:)

Did you check the clearance with the Track bar and tie rod at full stuff? PSC's new cover is supposed to take into account but depending on how your front axle is placed it may need to be adjusted.
Also what is the lift height and hard to tell but is there bumpstop extensions?
Otherwise looks good!

Last edited:
M

MadMax

Lots of clearance at full stuff I'm using angled tie rod ends to pull the bar out so it clears the dif....before the build the rear dif cover used to hit the gas tank now there's a 1/4" clearance at full stuff. It's an 8" lift no body lift....that's a 2" spring spacer.... I'll take some better photos today of the set up.

M

MadMax

Had to massage the rear shocks to fit in the old location as the body is quite a bit larger than the old sky jackers and they were rubbing!

Had to relocate the lower mount slightly.

Just waiting on GenRight to send the right parts for the front swaybar and a new stabilizer shock and everything can be buttoned back up and can start installing the front and rear bumpers!

Hindsight 20/20 I should have trussed the front axle while it was apart and put in a set of RCV axle shafts! Project for next year:)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Had to massage the rear shocks to fit in the old location as the body is quite a bit larger than the old sky jackers and they were rubbing!

Just waiting on GenRight to send the right parts for the front swaybar and a new stabilizer shock and everything can be buttoned back up and can start installing the front and rear bumpers!

Hindsight 20/20 I should have trussed the front axle while it was apart and put in a set of RCV axle shafts! Project for next year:)

Dont worry about it. Trussing on tJs are more or less looked at as being a waste if time unless you do high speed racing, otherwise all you are doing is fighting with clearance issues.

8" is pretty tall. How big of tires are you planning on running?

M

MadMax

Ok good I didn't really want the extra expense of doing it hahaha and I don't plan on any high speed racing! I'm running 35" right now.....I haven't had a chance to drive it yet since I bought it so I'll try it at that height and if I don't like it I'll get rid of the spring spacers.....id like to run 37"

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Ok good I didn't really want the extra expense of doing it hahaha and I don't plan on any high speed racing! I'm running 35" right now.....I haven't had a chance to drive it yet since I bought it so I'll try it at that height and if I don't like it I'll get rid of the spring spacers.....id like to run 37"

Trailer queen or street legal?
Latter you are pushing it with 36s especially locked on Dana 44s especially the front since other than the pumpkin it is pretty much Dana 30. That said the RCVs should definitely deal with the outside of the pumpkin. Personally wouldnt go over light 36s with the 44s but that is me. The big issues will be clearance in the rear on 37s.
Stock brakes on TJ with 35s can be lacking. May want to look at upgrading the brakes.

M

MadMax

It'll be street legal but not a DD at all but I like being able to drive to the trail and drive home:) I've upgraded the brake pads......we'll c how that goes! And I am definitely doing the RCV shafts as I am planning to hit MOAB next year so it'll be getting a few more issues addressed prior to that happening....id like to find someone else to do the trip w next year. I'm Ushipping my rig down and hitting the national parks on the way back.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
It'll be street legal but not a DD at all but I like being able to drive to the trail and drive home:) I've upgraded the brake pads......we'll c how that goes! And I am definitely doing the RCV shafts as I am planning to hit MOAB next year so it'll be getting a few more issues addressed prior to that happening....id like to find someone else to do the trip w next year. I'm Ushipping my rig down and hitting the national parks on the way back.

35's you may be ok with upgraded pads (which pads?) but ultimately you are dealing with stock braking. With 37's I would look at doing the Vanco Big Brake system (which now supports RCVs and look at upgrading your steering with something like Curries Ultimate Tierod. That is going to put you back an additional 12-1400 US. For 37's right now check the amount of space you have between the inner side of your rear tire and the frame side of the coil perch (as well as the wheel well) especially at full stuff, with 35's you should be able to get an idea how much clearance you have and may have to get new rims with less backspacing and possibly do some cutting. However with an 8" lift you might be ok clearance wise but I would love to see what your driveshaft angles are like as that is pretty tall for such a short wheel base. I would be thinking about extending your wheelbase at that height but then you got to do a fuel cell which opens another can of worms for keeping it street legal (and that is excluding the ambiquity of flare requirements in Ontario. There is a reason you don't see many going over 4" and 35/36 without trailering it. It's an ambitious build.
Side note, since you are keeping it street legal, I assume your insurance company is ok with modified? You have looked at the fine print right? If not, there is a couple of insurance companies outside the typical ones that will cover it for a bit more.

M

MadMax

I've upgraded the steering to high steer already I'll look into the braking issue for sure the pads are Hawk HP plus I've used these on my track cars before and they're great:)
The rig had 37" prior to my ownership but I'm not sure what the clearance was like! My insurance is aware of the mods and has been insured as such for not much more than it was insured!
Definitely a lot to think about w the offroading vehicles I find track cars easier haha probably because that's all I dealt w prior to last year when I got into off roading!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I've upgraded the steering to high steer already I'll look into the braking issue for sure the pads are Hawk HP plus I've used these on my track cars before and they're great:)
The rig had 37" prior to my ownership but I'm not sure what the clearance was like! My insurance is aware of the mods and has been insured as such for not much more than it was insured!
Definitely a lot to think about w the offroading vehicles I find track cars easier haha probably because that's all I dealt w prior to last year when I got into off roading!

Sounds like you're in a pretty good place, there are some spots on TJs that are known to be sticking points and usually there are ways to work around them (not necessarily the cheapest ways either). The PO may have done most of the work already.

M

MadMax

PO did do a lot of work to I'm merely cleaning up a lot of that work and massaging quite a few things and updating as it was old and tired when I got it:(

M

MadMax

Me as well, it's the waiting for parts from these companies that drives me nuts hahaha I'm a huge fan of mall line ups and traffic jams [emoji16]
Later plans do involve making it longer 100 instead of the stock 93! I've already looked into the GenRight gas tank so I can push the rear end out......At this point I've already dumped a pile of $$ into since getting it id like to drive it first and get an idea of what I'll need to do for future work:)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Me as well, it's the waiting for parts from these companies that drives me nuts hahaha I'm a huge fan of mall line ups and traffic jams [emoji16]
Later plans do involve making it longer 100 instead of the stock 93! I've already looked into the GenRight gas tank so I can push the rear end out......At this point I've already dumped a pile of $$ into since getting it id like to drive it first and get an idea of what I'll need to do for future work:)

I mulled going with the Genright tank when I did the doubler but went with the Novak output on the Dana 300. Price wise it was about the same plus I had done the Savvy skid less than a year before and I liked it.

M

MadMax

I've got a lot to think about....so I gather that you stretched your TJ then?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I've got a lot to think about....so I gather that you stretched your TJ then?

Nope, last year I did a doubler with a 231/300, the rear driveshaft is so stupidly short in stock form to keep it from getting any shorter I needed to make up 2" to keep it the same length. The choice was either lengthen the wheelbase which I could do with the genright tank (didn't want to go fuelcell) or get the Novak HD output which is 2" shorter than the stock Dana 300 rear output.

M

MadMax

Oh wow dual T case that's cool.....would u be up for a winter Lavant run not much snow this season! I think it would be a good run get a few more peeps out and I can test out my new set up pretty easy run to the lunch spot and back:)

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Oh wow dual T case that's cool.....would u be up for a winter Lavant run not much snow this season! I think it would be a good run get a few more peeps out and I can test out my new set up pretty easy run to the lunch spot and back:)

Nah she is done for the winter I think. I threw the winters on a while back

Function > Form

Club Member

Nice shocks!

Your rig will totally look like [MENTION=1239]Burger[/MENTION] 's when you are done. Pretty sure he's also on 8" and it's tall tall tall...he was there at Crag when you were there in your XJ. Looks tippy when crawling to me. Did you go any wider than stock?