TJ Rubicon rebuild.

M

MadMax

This is actually Burgers old rig! It needed some serious TLC:) the only thing I've done to widen it is put 1 1/2" wheel spacers on. It'll likely be sitting at 6 1/2" after I take the spring spacers out that are in right now! Not sure if I'm going to take them out quite yet I wanna c how it's going to handle after I've done all this work. The GenRight sway bar should help w some of the tippiness as well as all the new Johnny joints replacing the seized hiem joints should increase the ride stability:)
Yes Craig Lake was an awesome run and where I first saw this rig go over everything with ease and looking good whilst doing it haha:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
THought it looked familiar. I believe the PO before Burger built it up and since he didn't do much when he got it, odds are you won't need to do much other than personal preference.

Last edited:

Function > Form

Club Member
Ahhhhhhh now I get it. lol yeah, I couldn't believe how tall it was.

That extra 3" should help a fair bit. Is it hard on anything (long term I mean) when you add spacers? In the IFS world, everyone is scared to run them and says that they are 'hard on wheel bearings'. I recall the same being said when I was modding cars.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Ahhhhhhh now I get it. lol yeah, I couldn't believe how tall it was.

That extra 3" should help a fair bit. Is it hard on anything (long term I mean) when you add spacers? In the IFS world, everyone is scared to run them and says that they are 'hard on wheel bearings'. I recall the same being said when I was modding cars.

The issue with spacers is you lose uptravel compared to equivalent suspension lift using only coils. IOW 4"SL > 2"SL +2"spacer

M

MadMax

Yes it's true that they are a bit harder on wheel bearings that being said I've ran spacers on every vehicle I've owned and never had an issue w wheel bearings runnin a 35-37" is going to be just as hard on the bearings!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Yes it's true that they are a bit harder on wheel bearings that being said I've ran spacers on every vehicle I've owned and never had an issue w wheel bearings runnin a 35-37" is going to be just as hard on the bearings!

What he said, if proper maintenance is done it should be fine. More often than not issues with spacers is someone throwing them on and not taking care of them

M

MadMax

Almost done bumpers and winch put on today just waiting for swaybar from GenRight, alignment and a few minor details and it's done! .....For now that is :)

Huge shout out to Bill, Will and Bo from National 4x4 for their attention to detail during the build and the custom fab work that had to be done to make this rig safe:)

M

MadMax

Thx.....I'm really happy w the way it's turned out so far I almost don't wanna wheel it now hahaha

M

MadMax

TJ has been lowered to 6" vs the 8" it was sitting at which had made it more stable and sorted out pinion angle issues:) spring spacers are gone!

O.D.

Club Member
Very nice build!! Nice to see a TJ under the knife and not a family van JK!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

M

MadMax

It's rare to see a TJ built up on the roads these days it's all JK's..........

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
It's rare to see a TJ built up on the roads these days it's all JK's..........

I see the same, built TJ, every day at almost the exact same spot. LoL We exchange waves always, maybe some day him & I will meet in a parking lot and trade lies. LoL

M

MadMax

Your one of the lucky ones then all I see are JK's......guys at work all JK's haha

M

MadMax

And it's out from under the knife but not without complications.....test drive and it was vibrating like hell under load checked the rear drive shaft and the splines aren't looking very nice and the slip on the DC is pretty well seized up so off its out this week to get rebuilt!

Other than waiting on GenRight to send the right part again it's ready to go......in for winter storage that is haha:)