Yello

O.D.

Club Member
Question.... I had to build my own tranny mount as i wanted support while pulling the skid plate. I went with a universal setup from TMR and then adapted a teraflex plate made to fit the 545RFE tranny. Problem was that the actual teraflex plate mount would not allow clearance to clock the ATLAS. So what i did was i removed the actual polyurethane block and then clipped the plate in half. I then mounted that to the TMR setup, which ties in to each frame rail with poly bushings...

will the poly bushings on each end of the tranny mount be sufficient enough flex to accommodate the movement?

Some pics below for reference..

Cheers,

Attachments

• 001%u00252520%2528Large%2529.JPG
    001%u00252520%2528Large%2529.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 20

O.D.

Club Member
I bought the TMR atlas support BUT, it'll be a major pain to get it setup as the alignment will interfere with my frame side control arm mounts. I'd have to do some weird bends to get it mounted to the frame, which is a challenge due to the fact that the ATLAS is clocked down as much as possible to clear the tub. I was going to go with the assumption that the transmission support would suffice.

Think i am playing with fire on this?

junkpile

I didn't go back into your build to search this question but do you also have poly engine mount bushings? If yes good, if no then you might be putting a lot more stress on the trans case with that design....... "Looks"good though
My 2¢

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Support the t-case as well for sure. I'd support the t-case before the trans myself. I presume the engine also has poly mounts?

O.D.

Club Member
Yes, poly on the motor mounts.

If i have time, i will try the TC mount but i doubt i will this time around. I am not heavy on the pedal so i would think that the Tranny support should suffice.

Cheers,

O.D.

Club Member
Short update.. I have been struggling to find free time to get this rig all finished. I tore it all down back to the bare frame and final welded everything, cleaned it up and shot it with primer / paint.
When i had it all together, i noticed that the Tie Rod was a limiting factor on the upwards travel on the Passenger. So i decided to notch the frame a bit to give it that extra 1-2" or so. At first i didn't know what to use to plate the opening but then noticed that the cutout on the frame in the rear where i frenched the shock towers in was perfect to fill the opening and bam.. Worked like a charm:

Then i tore the 14 bolt apart one last time. I removed the other old caliper bracket, ground down the OE drum brake mount a bit for clearance and also cut off one more time the rear shock mounts and tilted them up as much as possible so as leave me as much downward travel as possible. When i had it on a hoist, i noticed that the rear was not drooping down as much as the front was so this will help a bit more. Installed the new CC caliper brackets to the front of the axle, torqued the spindles (Finally bit the bullet and bought a spindle nut socket) and buttoned it all up. Shot it with primer and black paint. Still have to shoot the GLO diff cover, seal it up, install the pinion guard, fill it up with oil and run the brake lines.

This evening i started in on the front 60. Degreased it, threw primer on it and will let it dry for the night... Depending on weather, i might be able to get at it a bit tomorrow night...

The rest of the TJ is in here somewhere....

O.D.

Club Member
So... Since i got back into Offroading, i have never been able to participate.

- 2008 = Helped on the course under the tower line but did not have a jeep
- 2009 = Was building the jeep, could not participate
- 2010 = Was building the jeep 2nd phase, could not participate
- 2011 = For whatever reason did not attend. I did attend Zook and friends though :)
- 2012 = Had sold OD, Late 2011 - No Jeep
- 2013 = Had bought the Rubi but was travelling extensively for work, could not make it.
- 2014 = Still building....

There's a nasty pattern here....... This should happen in September!!!!

My someone unrealistic goal is July 1st..... Got a long ways to go.

trixter192

Club Member
Don't sell this one!

I had a question about the notched frame, do you think it's strong enough as it is? And what's with the little hole in the notch, are you running anything inside the frame?

junkpile

Looks like all that bit of frame has to do is hold up a winch and bumper, all the business is going on behind that. That hole kinda looks like it was an existing hole in the chunk of frame used as the filler. Just had to get my guesses in! :)

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Looks like all that bit of frame has to do is hold up a winch and bumper, all the business is going on behind that. That hole kinda looks like it was an existing hole in the chunk of frame used as the filler. Just had to get my guesses in! :)

What he said - remember that all of the stresses for the ORI's, links, etc will be behind the notch. I didn't look at the shock mounts, but I'm sure he could put a brace back and up to them if needed for peace of mind.

O.D.

Club Member
Brace is an option, could also fishplate it... At this stage though, i am moving forward without either. I have seen wayy too many builds on pirates while researching this and none of them had braces or additional plating...

Maybe i'll get a bit more motiviation once i have a rolling chasis.. But right now, i just want to get the damn axles back under the frame and install the driveline :)

O.D.

Club Member

Spot on!! I really do not see allot of stress affecting this area other than a winch on a front bumper... Like i said, i may have a change of heart once i start to see some progression on this build :)

O.D.

Club Member
Had a bangin' day today.. Was able to get it up on all fours and is a roller again :)

O.D.

Club Member
Well, i had a day to work on the build so i did a few things. Took the advise here and then taking into account the antirock, decided to plate the notch. Then did some work on the tub. Cut off some of the c channel to accomodate the cage tie-ins. then had to patch the big ass hole i cut in the floor in a fit of rage and Coors light to fit the ATLAS (Only to find out that i could clock it a bit more and not need the hole!!!). Holly fakk do i ever hate welding sheetmetal!!! But other than a small piece, i was able to reuse everything i had cut out, massive dents and all!!!

Onwards we go:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Hey just to confirm, for your Atlas you decided not to do a BL right thus the cutting? What is your Transmission skid?
Oh, Anything new?