231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
That sucks - hopefully it isn't a muli month wait for the cable this time.

Seriously, btw doesn't PA sell them? I may just go there and see what they have if I can get one to work I might go that way. I have a feeling NWF isn't going to be able to help me much
I have to look but for anyone dealing with the annoyances of push pull cables and placement, this helps:

Put it this way, I may be calling the company above tomorrow to find out their turnaround time. If it is 2 weeks I won't be too far out

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Seriously, btw doesn't PA sell them? I may just go there and see what they have if I can get one to work I might go that way. I have a feeling NWF isn't going to be able to help me much
I have to look but for anyone dealing with the annoyances of push pull cables and placement, this helps:

Put it this way, I may be calling the company above tomorrow to find out their turnaround time. If it is 2 weeks I won't be too far out

PA does carry them, Dwayne mentioned earlier in the thread they weren't great.

Another option for any specific need is Midwest Control: https://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Not sure what the wait is like for them, though. Based on the quality you've seen from NWF, I'd wait for them first if it's at all reasonable.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
PA does carry them, Dwayne mentioned earlier in the thread they weren't great.

Another option for any specific need is Midwest Control: https://www.midwestcontrol.com/

Not sure what the wait is like for them, though. Based on the quality you've seen from NWF, I'd wait for them first if it's at all reasonable.

I can't see why it would take that long when that looks to be their bread and butter. According to midwestcontrol they could have it done in pretty much a day but they ain't cheap.
I am still not giving up on getting the 1" done as it might still work if I raise the actual lever. Basically I think this week will be trying to squeeze everything in. I won't be able to touch it next week at all so if it doesn't get here until the 2nd week of July and I have everything else ready, I would super happy.

Midwest cable turnaround: 8-10 weeks. I may look at PA as a temporary solution to get by until a decent cable or get it all working without the ability to use the doubler and once cable comes in work on the bracket and shifter. Of course this is all on the assumption that NWF can't do anything.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Midwest cable turnaround: 8-10 weeks.

Wonder if that's who NWF was using - hopefully they (NWF) can hook you up in a shorter time period. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Haven't heard from NWF yet but will probably call later today.
Just got initial email from custom cables. They do ship to Canada but hadn't told me how long of a turnaround. Emailed back saying mid July I am needing them. He is probably laughing hysterically.
UPDATE: 24 hours, impressive.

Wonder if that's who NWF was using - hopefully they (NWF) can hook you up in a shorter time period. I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Talked to Kris from NWF and he gave me a good idea which was to weld a bolt onto the lever and try that. Duh.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
If I am lucky end July?

So welded bolt on as close as I can from pivot and still not working. I am now positive it must be me
Here is fully front (which is pull)

Here is as far as it goes when pushed to back (Hard to see as the seal moves forward as well (basically it went from 2:30 to 12:45 )

Here it is fully extended by hand

So what the hell is wrong? here is a video to see how the linkage moves

Watching the video it looks like i may need to move the bracket upwards. Make sense?

Last edited:
R

ROUGHcrawl

Ya that may help but throw needs to be changed at the shifter by the looks of it.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!11eleventy!!

Rule number 1. Always try a second cable if available to make sure the first isn't bad.

Finally got around to doing that.

https://youtu.be/wXUivvpy_Qc

FAWK!
Needless to say it worked fine wish I had tried that last Thursday. Will cleanup the bracket tomorrow and do final welds.

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
Lol, similar to my brand new starter that didn't work right out of the box, tried everything before realizing it was bad.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Best part was Saturday or Sunday the thought crossed my mind but I dismissed it.
Well we will see what NWF says. If they don't have a spare one there I think I am going to just order a new one from Custom Cables.

Otherwise tonight will be cleaning up the bracket and final welding and taking passenger seat out and cutting hole for extra space for 231.

Pipe dream is before Saturday I would like to have the following done:
Hole boxed in
Console fixed so I don't scrape my knuckles
231 in minus shifter cable
300 fitted and clocked
Maybe the floor patched from the body mounts.
I don't see that all happening especially the last 2 looking at the weather for Wednesday and Friday is supposed to be rainy.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got an email from NWF. They don't have any but he is supposed to be getting 50 more of 3 and 4 ft each and is waiting for tracking number. Giving him a week and will order new one from Custom Cables but will get it in 5ft. I can then keep the replacement as a spare.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Pulled the center console and the front seats.
Found exactly where to cut to allow more clearance for the 231

Plan tomorrow is to put the 231 in with the skid and get it bolted in. Then I can determine where to box around. The passenger seat may rub up against said box but I don't think it actually will.
I may also look at seeing if I can flip the lopro transmission skid around. It normally sits on the passenger side but it is getting a tad cramped. I think I can fit it but that isn't a priority yet.

R

ROUGHcrawl

WOOO at the "making room" stage, now we need to compare calendars and plan a gorge shake down!!!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
WOOO at the "making room" stage, now we need to compare calendars and plan a gorge shake down!!!
Hoping end of Julyh
The things that will hold me back right now:

Gone for 9 days
Waiting on 3rd cable to arrive (although it could be driven with 231 in hi only using low gears of Dana 300)
New or modified Driveshaft
Anything I can't think of

Realistically I will probably have

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Shoved on the 231 case and finished widening the hole in the floor.
I guess I could have made it a bit smaller but the extra space is not going to make a difference.

I will probably be grinding off that small ridge to make that side a tad lower without affecting the bolt hole integrity. It will be about 3/4 to 1" clearance above it. The plan is to have the tunnel head out flat until I just after the bolt hole and then drop off sharply

Here is a picture that shows how tight things are with the heat shield and everything there. This would probably be a much easier exercise without the UCF UHC TT but I am not sacrificing clearance for this if I don't have to.
Toying with either trimming the heat shield back or bending up to flush with the tub. It isn't doing much.

Plan before Saturday noon is to have that boxed in

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got back from Netherlands yesterday (minus our luggage) and today finished up boxing it in.

There is about 1.25-1.5" clearance at the top. I was going to make it flush but I realized that there is oodles of room so I decided to make it taller

(yes I saw the pinhole there and fixed it already)

Also had picked up 5/16" ID low pressure fuel line for the venting for the Dana 300 as Brad suggested, looks exactly the same as the stock stuff.
Next step is to start the NWF instructions for the reverse cable shifters on the Dana 300, and then figure out how the 300 needs to be clocked.