Build Project Avalanche

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Not the coolest of mods, but it's one I'm stoked about anyway. 13x20x12 car shelter. Driveway is a little cramped now, but the buggy fits inside on the trailer. No more installing driveshafts in the pouring rain!

G

Grumpy

I bet the neighbours are happy to see that rig covered up and hidden away...lol

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I started tackling my spring list this weekend.

I broke down one corner on the rear axle, got it all cleaned up and ready for new boots / guards / repacked bearings. Longside shaft:

IMG_0022 by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

Andrew came over today and helped me get started on some of the other things. We removed the radiator and I will take it in this week to see if it can be repaired. Also noticed that the tranny cooler is likely leaking. I may relocate it from behind the rad to the rear of the buggy. But that is TBD at this point.

We cut out the battery mount and the fuel cell mount. I am going to push the fuel cell forward to create a little more storage room in the rear. Battery will probably be relocated to the front, I am just trying to find the best spot to put it still.

IMG_0023 by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

IMG_0025 by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I finished maintenance on the rear rockwell today. On the pro-side, all the nastienest is cleaned up, new boot and boot guards are finally installed, and new bearings. On the con-side, the short side axle shaft is twisted as well.

minor twist on the short side:

IMG_0032 by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

much more twist on the stub shaft:

IMG_0033 by bradleyfitz, on Flickr

Le Sigh.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
I've grown tired of two of my tires leaking, so I ordered two inner tubes from Mitko. I'm looking forward to a summer where I don't have to air up my tires every week!

13.50/16.5Lx16.1 Inner Tube - TR218 Valve Type
I had to widen the hole for the valve stem just a fraction. I drilled it to 1/2".

Last edited:

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Cut out the old mounts for the fuel cell. The battery mount was welded to the rails right behind the seat so they had to be re-done. Fuel cell is now pushed up against the rear seat / not yet done firewall. Moving the fuel cell forward has created some room for more storage. Entire fuel system is being redone (fuel cell excluded).

We had to cut out the rear bar (it was bent any way) so that will have to be replaced. Battery has been relocated to the front passenger wheel well. It will be skinned to close it off from the passenger compartment. There is still plenty of foot room for the passenger, despite the intrusion.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Looking good...giving me some much needed motiviation to get my ass out in the garage.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Fuel stuff is 95% done. Just needs vent tube and hose clamps.

Quick disconnects at the fuel rail:

New filter added after the pump. Also noticeable in this photo, tranny leak from the kickdown cable fitting.

Fuel cell, with shutoff:

Next on the list is wiring, radiator re-install, and tranny cooler. Transmission cooler is B&M 70297.
Instructions PDF courtesy of Bill.

Last edited:
G

Grumpy

nice work dude, keep it up, we only have 4 weeks to go till RC !! (so says the man who hasn't even touched his own rig since fall RC......lol)

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Mount for the transmission cooler plus base of rear rack. I will be adding a 45deg fill neck later for the fuel cell... for now I will just fill the tank with a funnel.

New dash panel /w 12volt guy switch panel and I will be running new oil and engine temp gauges, with room for 2 more guages.

Radiator is re-installed and the brakes have been cut out.

Up next is wiring, brakes, firewall, and battery box skinning.

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Looking good Brad, have you looked into this 45` fuel filler? How do they seal? Is this why they are so expensive (crap, crap)?

dj

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Looking good Brad, have you looked into this 45` fuel filler? How do they seal? Is this why they are so expensive (crap, crap)?

dj

If you look at the Jazz one, it has a spring loaded flapper on it preventing fuel from sloshing into the filler neck (same as a stock tank would). The summit ones do not say that, and I still have to find out if they have the flapper or not ... Jazz doesn't sell a 6 bolt style, they only have the 12 bolt flange, otherwise I would just buy the Jazz filler.