Build Project Avalanche

bradleyfitz

Club Member
A few more things have been added to the 100% done list.

New brakes. Dual master cylinders and pedals from Wilwood. 1" bore for the rear, 7/8" for the front. I went this way due to internet research, time will tell if I like it or not. I suspect already I will switch the front to 1" as well... at least it will be cheap and easy to do. All new brake lines, except for the flex lines.

Transmission cooler is 100% done.

Radiator is 100% done.

Fuel system is 99%, just needs the shutoff and catch can added to the vent.

New firewall, ready for install.

Badweld

Looks good Brad. I've noticed aftermarket (Wilwood) masters are not usually used with boosters. Are the bores that much bigger to compensate for them?

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Looks good Brad. I've noticed aftermarket (Wilwood) masters are not usually used with boosters. Are the bores that much bigger to compensate for them?

Not really. A larger bore produces more volume, a smaller bore produces more pressure... I don't think you could 'compensate' in any shape or form for not having a booster. AFAIK, a good hydroboost system will put out about twice the pressure a manual brake will.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
The majority of the wiring is finished. Just a couple more to be done... front lights, rock lights, tail lights, red light. Andrew did a really nice job.

Rear of the dash panel:

I replaced the front ram with a 2.5" bore, 8" stroke. I gave Mike a template and he cut me a new mounting tab out of 1/2" plate. The stock tierod I picked up from Corey last year at RC and I sleeved it with schedule 40 pipe (it was the only thing that would fit). In this picture is also the bent / broken tierod I replaced.

I switched the wire cable out for synthetic:

And lastly, at 1:00am on the Saturday before the clearing run, Andrew added stacks to the exhaust. 'Cause you know, it just had to be done.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Brake work again.

I picked up some new pinion brake brackets from Patooyee on pirate. These brackets allow for two mounting locations on each side, using the same '86 Toyota four piston calipers I was currently running. Keith hooked me up some new ones... a 12" rotor from wilwood for the rotors.

Thanks to Mike for the pinion guard bending and welding.

Bracket

New roter vs the old 10" mazda rotor

Front:

I moved the rear brake to the driveline side. It didn't clear the tierod on the rear, and this gives me plenty of room to do a high steer on the rear later.

I also switched out the 1" master I had for the rear and replaced it with another 7/8" to match the front. The brake bias is still off a little, but I think I have an air pocket in the rear. On the quinn run last week, I was able to lock up both axles no problem with a high speed stop. Psyched for good breaking power ... but I still want to test it on a good steep descent.

Last edited:
G

Grumpy

so, I guess you won't have any money to pay me now eh??? LOL nice looking rubber dude, looking forward to seeing you and the buggy spanking everything in RC this fall.......

bradleyfitz

Club Member
Not much happening on my end, still waiting on wheels... currently in Syracuse!

I've been strapping my action packer bins into the rear seats. I had always planned on building a bin holder to mount to the rear cargo tray.

Concept in sketchup. Not to scale:

Parts in Draftsight:.

I exported the Draftsight parts as an R2010 dxf file and sent it to Mike to cut from 14g. Not pictured, the gussets cut out of the bottom. Now that I know a little bit more about how the plasma cuts parts out, I will re-design the gussets that I cut out of the bottom plate so it gets cleaner cuts.

B

Big-Hoe

That's pretty cool Brad! I wish I had a couple of those in the back of the Hoe, maybe held down with a few speed clips so I could remove them. Gettin' real tired of all my tools, gear and spare parts banging around in the trunk.

bradleyfitz

Club Member
That's pretty cool Brad! I wish I had a couple of those in the back of the Hoe, maybe held down with a few speed clips so I could remove them. Gettin' real tired of all my tools, gear and spare parts banging around in the trunk.

Yep, that's the idea. I am planning up mounts for the rear cargo area of my jeep as well. The plan with this is to refine the design a bit more and sell it as a weld together kit.