PROJECT!!! Buggy Build

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Does that work? Isn't the port arrangement completely different?

Hmm, now that you mention it... maybe SBF headers would work?

A quick search seems to indicate 351 SBF have identical exhaust port spacing or you can modify BBC (the two center tubes) to work as well.

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Shorty bedders from Edelbrock

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EDL-65172&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Bit pricey though...

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Chris: That's not too bad, atleast you've made it as smooth of transition as you could. The stock toy crossmember was like having a plow under the middle of the truck. My Marlin dual adapter has 10 deg of clock to it, one of the main reasons I got it.

Andrew: I saw those, nice set but puts me no further ahead fitment wise than the stock manifolds.

Adrian: The way things seem to be fitting, either the block huggers need to be tight enough so that the collector fits inside the frame (and far enough from the motor mount not to melt it) or shorties that the collector is only 10 deg or so below horrizontal. How's your engine fit?:stir:

I've got the motor sitting with the center of the front exhaust ports roughly 6" above the frame rails (@ high point in the hump over the front axle) which puts the motor mounts horrizontally in line with the frame. The power train seems to be at a decent angle and as low as possible at this height.

:glasses:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Ya want to swing by some night (Friday?) on your way home from work and give me a second opinion?

:beer:

Sure, PM me your address again...

Just measured mine, 29" from outside of flange to flange on the exhaust manifolds. I take it yours is the same?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Did a little more looking tonight for exhaust routing. It looks as though block huggers tucking inside the frame rails would run into the starter. It's hard to tell exactly since I don't have a starter at the moment but it's looking more like custom headers will be the only way to go.

Wonder if you'll see something I'm missing?

You don't have a starter that you can bring with you do you?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Wonder how he did the other side? or if he's melted the motor mount yet, looks rather close to me.?

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Just scanned his whole thread, doesn't say what the headers are. By the look of the motor mounts, his engine is sitting several inches higher than mine currently is.

You registered on there? If so, could you ask what the headers are and if he has a pic of the other side?

R

Root Moose

Just to throw a red herring at you...

I've been reading up on exhaust manifolds for my swap and a lot of the Jeep guys seem to have problems with the output of the block hugger header running too close to the engine mount and melting the mount bushings over time. This would be with old school Gen I SBCs.

Now, I read it on the Internet so take it with a grain of salt but perhaps that makes some sense? Maybe some kind of a heat shield is in order OR a different style of header? Might not be a big deal for a buggy that won't be droning along at highway speeds for hours on end also.

Just throwing that out there. Maybe asking that guy his experience with that makes sense?

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
Just scanned his whole thread, doesn't say what the headers are. By the look of the motor mounts, his engine is sitting several inches higher than mine currently is.

You registered on there? If so, could you ask what the headers are and if he has a pic of the other side?

I was going to do that, but the guy does not seem to be active on any of the build threads anymore, he is on pirate also and was selling the truck...

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Just to throw a red herring at you...

I've been reading up on exhaust manifolds for my swap and a lot of the Jeep guys seem to have problems with the output of the block hugger header running too close to the engine mount and melting the mount bushings over time. This would be with old school Gen I SBCs.

Now, I read it on the Internet so take it with a grain of salt but perhaps that makes some sense? Maybe some kind of a heat shield is in order OR a different style of header? Might not be a big deal for a buggy that won't be droning along at highway speeds for hours on end also.

Just throwing that out there. Maybe asking that guy his experience with that makes sense?

Ya, that's what we've been talking about....

Buster

Club Member
Buy some header wrap for the collector area, it makes a huge diference in the amount of radiated heat.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I've heard more bad things than good about header wrap.
Might reduce heat but I'm not sure rusting out the tube is worth it.