PROJECT - Truktor

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I remember dents like that, peeled my fender open like a can of sardines a couple times.

Body damage builds character! :smokin:

D

Dirk

A bit a carnage from last Sundays run at The Gorge....

Attempted a climb and snapped something in the rea diff. Pulled the axle appart that evening and it turned out to be the pinion shaft that broke.

But.....the carrier cracked and deformed to the point that I could not remove the ring gear. So I cut the carrier:

those 2 little stubs are all thats left of the shaft.

Sofar so good. Then I looked at my locker...:pissed:

Both "whatever-they-are-called" gears are ruined and one of the spring pins is broken in half. I won't be reusing them, not are there funds for replacements. Planning to weld another carrier tonight, unless someone has a used toy 8" spool for sale.

Will also contact Aussie Locker to see if they'd warranty the damage.....

L

Louis

Damn - that's too bad. Ever consider an ARB locker or a bigger rear diff? Maybe a landcruiser 70 series full floater.

Louis

D

Dirk

For the time being I'll weld it up. But depending on future breakage maybe I'll have to upgrade. Not sure which way I'd go if i do upgrade. Not familiar with the particulars of the Cruiser axles. I assume they are 6 bolt....if so would be worth looking at.

Spoke to Aussie already. I will need 2 new cam gears (thats what they are called), they are checking inventory and will get back to me. Good service sofar, as I called at 5pm exactly (their closing time) and they answered the phone and then had a tech call me back. But this is ofcourse not covered under warranty so I'd have to buy 2 new gears.

Last edited:
L

Louis

The 70 series rear diff is a 9.5 inch and very strong, and yes it is 6 bolt and a full floater so you don't have to worry about axles snapping and losing a wheel. Lots of options for lockers, the arb carrier is strong and will/should not fail - the axle will fail first even if it's a longfield. But, with only 68 HP you will most likely never break a cruiser diff or axle. I am pretty sure it would be a good fit and probably not much wider - no need for spacers probably.

The 40 series would be ok as well but it isn't a full floater - and the 70 series have better brakes - which would also be better for you.

Louis

D

Dirk

Cool.

I never expected to break the diff with the power I have available. Maybe its a fluke, maybe not. The shaft may have been weak...who knows. Upgrading the axle was never in my plans, but if need be i would definitely go with a full floating axle. Brakes are not an issue as I run rear disks and they.

If anyone has a Cruiser diff laying around, i would like to take some measurements though.

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Welcome to 38's and toy axles. Go to v6 carriers. My rear V6 E-locker has gone 3 years at 200 HP with no Issues. If I was going to keep the Toy axles, I would put a hi-pinion V6 third in the front.

That being said, I am not going to mess around with the Toy stuff for much longer. D60's are the next step.:beer::beer:

D

Dirk

rear perches

I noticed a while ago that my rear pinion angle was getting worse. It started off properly, then it was 0 degrees, pinion shaft and driveshaft were inline. Then the pinion kept rotating upwards until it was about 5 - 6 degrees the opposite way.
Looking at my rear springs, its it plain to see that they are bent in front of the axle ...from gentle use.... which allowed the axle to rotate upwards, causing the pinion angle to change.

I knew I should have done something about it, but i went wheeling instead and ... broke the u-joint trying to climb a 30" vertical rock.

So I tore into it today and ground the welds holding the perches and noticed something peculiar. The perches were digging into the axle housing, crushing it.

Over a 1/4" intenation

The axle appears straight otherwise, only crushed in the perch area.
Since I don't have another '86 or newer axle to swap in, I'll keep running it.
I plan to cut a section off another axle tube, split it lengthwise and use a half in each of the damaged areas to reinforce it.

Has anyone had this happend ever?

and before I forget...important safety tip...don't trust your jackstands on your gravel/clay driveway. :flipoff:

good thing I own a tractor with a loader.

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
I knew I should have done something about it, but i went wheeling instead and ... broke the u-joint trying to climb a 30" vertical rock.

You sound like a Suzuki owner! :flipoff:

You need a anti-wrap bar ........ Or a 4-link. :D

D

Dirk

REplaced a lost driveshaft flange bolt at the rear t-case output and noticed this:

cracked T-case mount.
another shot

just as well I didnt take it out yesterday...this may not have made it out in one piece.

Guess its coming apart next time I'm home. :(

Last edited:

mucovich

Till Valhalla!
:eek:, I guess it's was a good thing that that bolt backed off otherwise you may not have noticed it until it was too late!

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
That's a FROR mount right? The general consensus seems to be that they fail because of forwards and backwards movement. (motor mounts)

I had the previous 7M ones chained and now on the 5.3 they are essentially solid and I have not had any issues yet.

Looks like you need to go through with solid mounting your motor mounts like you said at the social :beer:

D

Dirk

Looking ahead to spring fever and a trip home, in 2 months, it's time order some parts and fixes.

Took care of windshield wiper when I was home at Xmas, so no more sticking my hand out the window holding the wiper and cleaning the window manually.

Since my time is limited, planning to fly out a few days prior to the long weekend, my list is short.

Battery disconnect, switch already bought, just needs installation.

Solid motor mounts and properly repairing the cross member.

Replace both winch cables with rope. Deciding between Viking line ( trail gear) and masterpull. Huge difference in cost. Discussion, pro/con, experiences, theories....

Onboard air, via air 100% duty cycle.

And new tire/rim combo possibly again.

Last edited:

aweber

Staff member
Club Member
I have the 3/8 x 80' from Poly - which ended up being shipped from Viking - and I have no issues with it so far.

D

Dirk

Thx Adrian, Viking is way cheaper and no border crossing involved.

Tires.... Well I think I am ready for some good rubber and beadlocks.
This rig has seen 5 sets of boots already. So I am looking for a final solution.
I also want to go a bit smaller to reduce rubbing and get some drivability back, 37 should be about right.
For bead locks I want alloy wheels.

So I am thinking 37" Krawlers on TG Creeper Locks.
All depending on how much overtime I can get in.

Cochise

Replace both winch cables with rope. Deciding between Viking line ( trail gear) and masterpull. Huge difference in cost. Discussion, pro/con, experiences, theories....

Any idea if you're going with Dyneema or Technora? Don't know if that matters to you or not.

Here a quote from a supplier on Pirate:

Some details about why I'm offering Technora;
I'm surprised to find out that, often the best line is not offered. Seems that most all companies offer Dyneema. I have found several that offer a hybrid. Dyneema is a great material. The cost is also very reasonable. It has a fatal flaw though. It does not handle heat well. And unless your using a winch that does not have a drum brake, your winch drum gets REALLY hot. I've seen companies offer a hybrid winch rope, that uses a rope that handles heat well, spliced to a Dyneema rope. I would guess that the heat resistant rope is Vectran or Technora. Vectran has UV problems that are so bad, even a UV inhibitor does not help. Enter in Technora. According to my research, Technora offers the best mix of Strength, UV Resistance, Heat Resistance, Chafe Resistance and Cost. Making another guess, I believe that winch line manufacturers choose Dyneema because it's cost is a little lower than Technora. The good news for you is that they mark their products up so much that I have room to offer a Technora Winch Rope for WAY less than the other guys. BTW, If you want Dyneema you can buy it from me at the same price. I've put some specifications together that summarize my research.

See here:

http://www.jeepswag.com/winchrope/index.html

This guy's prices are cheap, too.

http://www.jeepswag.com/winchline/index.html#TWL

Last edited: