PROJECT - Truktor

O.D.

Club Member

All in all over 30' of wrap....and 4 hours of cramped hands.

I should have sent over Harley for the day with his nimble little hands :) You're his new "Bud". That was classic

chunkytrunks

That's MR.EX Pres to you!
Club Member
I should have sent over Harley for the day with his nimble little hands :) You're his new "Bud". That was classic

That was a blast to watch. You got yourself a great young guy their.

Looks like you got allot done after i left Dirk. Looks awsome!

D

Dirk

I decided to dispense witht the mechanical fan. The pros and cons of mechanical vs electric fan kept me up for a few nights, but the electric won out. mainly doe to space constraints imposed by the hydro pump drive.

Space contraints also forced me to use a much weaker puller fan than I would like. I choose a 2" thick 16" diameter Be-Cool fan rated at 13 cfm to pull air. My original plan called for two 10" pushers in front of the rad also rated at 1000 cfm each. But their overall size was larger than what their specs indicated when I ordered them and i am only able to fit one. :banghead:
2300 cfm combined should keep it cool though.

Made a thin shroud:

and mounted it to the rad:

And the pusher:

The 2 fans will be controlled separately. Either in auto mode, off individual temp sensors (different temps), and will have a manual override. This way I can turn them off for water crossings, keep them on no matter what the engine temp or let the temp sensors decide what to do.

S

SWest

nice

good stuff Dirk, crazy how these things can keep you up at night trying to decide.

D

Dirk

It will some. I'll see how it performs once i get running it.
If it doesn't cool sufficiently I'll rework it. i feel it will be ok tho as 16 of the 20" is open for the fan.

D

Dirk

Filled the rad, filled the hydro reservoir and fired it up tonight.
Bad cell phone video, but it shows the chain running straight. :)
Turn the sound low.....exhaust wasn't on when I took this.

And.....cue drum roll......winches work. :D

:beer: time now

Will drive it outside tomorrow and respool the cable and test their speed.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Spent 5 hours on electrical crap.... and had the first trial run of the winches.

Since I had to respool them so they'd pull from the bottom. Ofcourse we video'd the event. :D
Front winch first, 100' of rope all pulled out (exept 4 wraps), stopping about 10' short of the hook, just to be sure it wouldn't pile up .
So this is a 90' pull, slight incline, starting at just above idle, going to about 3/4 throttle at about 60' of the pull. The pull lasts about 20 seconds.

I didn't check if the speed registered on the speedometer...was worried about hitting my old F350. Calculated average speed, 20 seconds for 90' is 270'/min, or 5km/h :D
Max speed was faster, will have to measure it next time. Didn't have the fans running yet and the motor was getting hot.

Rear winch:

Can't wait for some real world testing now. Both runs were in high range which is really only usefull for respooling and light pulls. Next will be some trials as to puling power.

I did find 3 leaks. The suction hose drips very slightly, it will need a smaller clamp. The power steering cooler leaks, because I had to pick at ta rusty scab. :banghead: Does anyone have a good one from a first gen Toy?
Third leak is a field service fitting on one of the hoses on the rear winch.:(

All in all a good day. :D

Last edited:
S

Steve B

Good Job

Good job buddy,,,,pretty fast,,,,better watch out for Slow Bailey,lol

B

blair_b

Looks like it's quicker to have the winch pull you than the diesel push! Wicked job as always- love the build Dirk.

S

SWest

4wd

You made the mags, last few pages nice pic of yoru truck in the Gorge!

D

Dirk

Looks like it's quicker to have the winch pull you than the diesel push! Wicked job as always- love the build Dirk.

I definitely winch faster than crawl. :smokin:

You made the mags, last few pages nice pic of yoru truck in the Gorge!

Yeah. I feel like such a celebrity....:beer:

Getting ready for the wheeling season, will have tunes and a CB this year.

Still missing a dome ligh and mic clip.....gotta lave some things to tinker with later.
Installed an Anderson connector to plug booster cables into.

And its first carnage.....stock Birf wasn't up to challenge and ended up like Humpty Dumpty.

It also took out the locking hub....

Was hoping they would stand up a little better, but expected this. Better now than friday evening of springfever.
Longfields are on their way.

Kinda reminds me of a dog with a sore paw.

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Wow, the stock hubs are usually rated the best.
Make sure you get the hub gears when you get the longs.

Nice console

:beer:

D

Dirk

Wow, the stock hubs are usually rated the best.
Make sure you get the hub gears when you get the longs.

Nice console

:beer:

I think the hub cracked because the stub shaft actually sheared off the birfield bell. It didn't break clean and the rotation forced it outward. I think it an odd break. But now I have to paint a new hub...

yeah, i ordered the hub gears also, for $65 its a no brainer.

thanks, and I only wacked my head on it once sofar.:banghead:

D

Dirk

After thourough testing at Spring fever I have found a few deficiencies, but it performed well in most cases. :D
And came home in one piece...

I am very happy with the tires, even though I popped the outside bead on the right front on pinion pass on Sunday. They seem to work real well on rock and in soft mud/bog they did not dig down and bury the truck, yet kept moving me forward.

Climbing a hard berm out of a mudhole though, they seem to lack traction, probably because the tread is not very aggressive and is lacking big voids.
The Hydro pump chain drive also held up well. it is noisier than I would like. Knowing that it works, I will invest in good quality o-ring chain which should be quieter. It also required to be tensioned twice over 4 days, a better chain may require less maintenance.
As I fall into the supermod class for Spring Fever now, but the truck is obviously not on par with buggies or other coils sprung, high horsepower rigs, I was expecting to winch alot to get many flags. Our strategy was to start halfway through the course as to avoid traffic, which made flags 8 & 9 our starting point. Both are in the large bog, which this year was not traversable by many rigs, 2 of my team included, and slowed is down tremendously (2.5 hours).
I bet my clutch and tranny hates me for this:

But gave me the chance to test my winches. :clue:
As I couldn't get up the bern out of the swamp, I winched up, forwards. As expected the winch would not pull the truck in high gear, but I had to try to be sure.

A little later I got the chance to test the rear winch, but as I pulled the lever I dumped all my fluid on the ground in seconds. Seems I had one fitting only hand tight......:eek:
I was able to find 4 liters of ATF to dump into the reservoir which gave me power steering for the rest of the day, but kept me from using the winches. :banghead:
The electric fans worked well, I can run just on one and keep the temp below 200F. Even when flogging it really hard on the access roads the gauge barely went past that.
Crag lake trail doesnt seem to like the shape of my passenger fender and modified it some more, in addition to last year.

So after running the course on Friday, setting it up and trying some of the rocks. Doing the event on Saturday, Pinion pass Sunday and Crag Lake Monday....The truck saw 4 days of (ab)use and had no real mechanical failures. :D:beer:

Ofcourse I still have to go and test the winches, maybe The Gorge next Saturday for a quick run.

P.S.: Having tunes and a CB was real nice.

-----pics to come----

Last edited: