PROJECT - Truktor

D

Dirk

62 hp at 4200 rpm and 93 ft?lbf at 2300 rpm, 5.29's in the diffs.
With the 38's 5th gear is totally useless now. :( But if all goes acording to plan it will be torbo charged this year and hopefully make enough power to be usefull on the road again.

And because I picked up that turbo, the hydraulic pump has to move to a different location. I removed the pump, tank and some piping on Sunday. Am considering several new mounting locations for the pump.

D

Dirk

You can see that in order to mount the Turbo the whole Hydraulic setup has to be relocated:

And none too soon as somehow i missed a part of the original battery tray when I first installed things and a brace wore through my suction line....which ran me $150 :pissed:

and the hose

D

Dirk

on the hunt for a better location for the pump....

considering this spot:

or here:

but not sure if I like either.
trying to get it closer to the crank pulley.....

....heading to the shop now. :)

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
With those #s I don't think you will have anything to worry about with the axles, even with the turbo :)

Hard to give any suggestions without actually being able to see the truck in person. In the forward location, make sure the tire won't get into it at full lock & stuff. I know mine hit the steering box.

D

Dirk

:(
big dissapointment tonight. The exhaust manifold from the turbo engine won't fit, different bolt pattern. I guess I'll run this year with 60 HP and just make due.

I do have the the beginning of the hydro pump chain drive worked out.

D

Dirk

I was hoping to mount the hydro pump in a different location to have a shorter chain and to make room for the turbo.
This it it mocked up on my other motor using a modified powersteering bracket.

I really liked this placement, but it interfered with the frame.....so no go.
My only other choice was it previous position. But I am modifying the mounting brackets so that I can bolt this onto a turbo charged engine later without further modifications.

Mounted the drive sprocket on the crank:

Decided to go with a smaller sprocket than I originally purchased, for the pump. So back to Princess Auto this week.

I think the alignment will be fine. But i am not really happy about running such a long chain.

Also got the valves installed.
Double spool in the center and selector valve to the left.

Another angle

and with the levers/knob and covers and boot:

The selector valve will be plumbed in to circuit so that in the down position it just return the fluid to the tank. In the up (knob pulled up0 position it will direct fluid to the spool valve.

Also sent the Rad to be recored and should have it back next week sometime.

R

Root Moose

Was running a V-belt an option instead of the chain? Just curious.

D

Dirk

Ran a V-belt until last week. Constantly slipped and got chewed up and squeeled. You can hear it on the videos....

the belt just cant hold the kinda of power the pump demands.

D

Dirk

A few pages ago, last fall, we had a discussion about the capabilities of the Michelin XLs.
Here's a quick video of how well they work in mud:

While 36 IROKs couldnt make it through (3 tries)

D

Dirk

A bit more progrees over the weekend.
Front

and rear bumpstops installed

should be a little easier on my shocks now.

D

Dirk

Hydraulic pump chain drive

Been working on the new drive for the hydraulic pump.

Chain is longer than I had hoped for but there was no other spot. Alignment seems good...

Got the tensioner done today also:

This should take care of the squeaking when I try to turn the steering and once the hoses are in I'll see how fast the hydro winches will go.

D

Dirk

The pulley/belt setup wasnt cutting it, and thats just powering the steering. Once I have the winches plumbed in it would just smoke the belt.
Have not run it yet. New rad going in tomorrow along with a new fan shroud and a used electric fan. Then the test run.....

I have also found a bunch of hydraulic hose a friend of mine had laying around. Its a size smaller than i hoped for, but having little work at the moment, i'll settle for smaller hose over none at all. If all goes reasonable well winch testing will commence in a few days. :D

D

Dirk

Making progress on the hydraulic circuits...and spending $$$$$ on hoses and fittings.

Selector valve plumbed to the spool and spool plumbed to the winches:

another angle:

Its fairly tight in there and the frame is really not making things easier.
Those shots are directly under the drivers floor.

Also found a new location for the priority flow divider and plumbed it to the pump:

Should have a new mounting plate for it finished tonight.

And a few more hoses to install:

Still have to clean/rinse my reservoir and assess the damage to the sucktion hose, may need a new one.:pissed:

Still have to mount the clamps to route the hoses properly. Hopefully avoiding chaffing.

Next will be cooling. Had the rad recored. Noticed that the electric fan I had is too thick and will not fit. :mad: Then while messing with it we completely wrecked it. :pissed:

So I cruised summitracing.com and found a slim (2" thick) 16" fan which will be a puller and 2 x 10" pusher fans. Will order these today or tomorrow.
if I can get to Ogdensburg before the weekend, the truck may just drive by the end of the weekend.

Richard

Commoner
Club Member
Making progress on the hydraulic circuits...and spending $$$$$ on hoses and fittings.

Selector valve plumbed to the spool and spool plumbed to the winches:

These are quite exposed, are you adding a plate?

D

Dirk

Yes, I am planning a plate from the slider, across thwe frame, almost to the T-case. Tehy are tucke up past teh frame, but sticks or sharp rocks could get them.

D

Dirk

Spent another day at , but forgot the camera at home.

Was able to salvage the cut suction hose. Installed a 45 degree swivel and shortened the hose past the cut. Didn't even have to buy a barbed fitting as Harry at East End Hydraulics helped me out with modifying and reusing my existing $75 high pressure fitting and using it as a barbed hose end with a jic at the other end.....very happy about this.

Got all the hoses routed and ,with the exeption of the return line fron the spool to the tank, also are secured so they wont rub or chafe. Will finish this tomorrow and install the protective wrap and fill the system with oil.

will have pics tomorrow.

D

Dirk

Finished wrapping all the hoses in potential chafe spots

Fron & rear fitment:

All in all over 30' of wrap....and 4 hours of cramped hands.
Just have to fill the reservoir and purge the system and the winches "should" work.

Moving the exhaust to the passenger side away from the hoses.
Cut 2 90 degree bends out and this is whats left after welding it back up.

Ran out of energy so installing the exhaust will have to wait 'till tomorrow.

If parts are in, we'll make the trip to ogdensburg tomorrow. Hoping to drive it out of the shop this week.