PROJECT - Truktor

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Nice work Dirk.

That's an obstical??? :lmao::lmao:
I think there were bigger rocks than that in the parking lot at PJF :lmao::lmao:

I'm sure it feels great to finally get to drive it

D

Dirk

Time for hydraulics.....

Am waiting for a new pump. Same specs, but different type of connections. Really hoping it comes in this week. or its armstrong steering next weekend.

Got my reservoir mostly done...odd shape, but it fits on the battery tray perfectly.

Was left with this plate to make....thanks Dwayne for suggesting a rounded piece. :flipoff:

A vice and hammer....who needs a bender?

All welded in.

And in place.....nice curves, eh? :lmao:

Also worked on my front bumper.

Should get it finished and painted tomorrow.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Front bumper painted and welded on today. :) Still have to mount my turn signals on it, but that should be quick.
Fiddled some more with my hydro pump mount. It getting there, still need to make the tensioner, but I have a plan.....
Have a start of my tailgate/tire carrier....
...main support bar tacked together:

and open:

only have 2 evenings this week to work on it. I wont get my hydraulics or powersteering working for the BFG weekend....Quinn with armstrong steering will be interesting and exhausting.

Last edited:
S

Steve B

Me

Hey buddy , I didn't give you permission for the head shot of me grinding,,,expect to hear from my lawyer next week........

R

Root Moose

Diggin' the recycled hinge for the tire carrier. Don't forget to set your bearing preload. LOL

D

Dirk

Holy Cow Steve...you are in the pic...really makes my truck look good beside your ugly mug too. :flipoff:

Thanks Root Moose, works real nice sofar. Trying to decide if I should mount the tire leaning forward or vertical. I would like to keep as much bedspace available as possible, for a slide-in camper maybe. :): But leaning forward looks real cool. :glasses:

Just got back from Princess Auto.....WITH my new pump....:D
Discovered in the store that it had O-ring chunks inside it.:banghead:
But they swapped the O-ring out of the pump I returned into the new one. Got my fingers crossed that it will work.

So it will be an all-nighter again tonight. Got a bunch of things left to do before the weekend.
My to do for tonight:
- build tensioner for pump bracket
- weld pulley to hub
- install pump
- finish tank, weld in bungs
- mount tank
- fab mounting bracket for the filter
- install plumbing on filter inlet
- fab bracket and mount flow divider
- measure hoses

If all goes well I just have to get Hoses and a few pipes made up tomorrow, install tomorrow night...and done. Then I might even get my tire carrier done. But Murphy will probably have something to say about htat...as usual.

R

Root Moose

Make it lean in for now. When/if you get around to making the camper make a second one for that purpose.

JAT (just a thought)

D

Dirk

Update

- build tensioner for pump bracket...............DONE
- weld pulley to hub..................................DONE
- install pump...........................................DONE
- finish tank, weld in bungs.......Ran out of Argoshield, lid to be done still
- mount tank............................................not done
- fab mounting bracket for the filter..............not done
- install plumbing on filter inlet.....................DONE
- fab bracket and mount flow divider............not done, exchangine divider for another unit, with relief valve today.
- measure hoses........................................DONE

edit, pics:

Heading out to get hoses made........

.........and I am back, 2 hours later.

Princess was only able to make one of the hoses, and the power steering return line. They don't have anything over 1" or 16 ORB. So I went to Diotte's Hydraulics. Awesome service there and they know their shit. Answered all my noob questions and had everything in stock. btw, they make custom brake lines too.

I think I have everything now, as far as hoses and fittings go.....I think.

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Two more 1 AM nights in the shop.....man I need some R & R. :beer:

Reservoir finished (hope it doesn't leak), sucktion line and pump installed. Thing are getting pretty tight under the hood now.
Flow divider is mounted and plumbed to the pump, supply to power steering done. Plumbing for filter and returns mocked up. Need to teflon tape and tighten tonight. All hoses but one fit, but one. Temporery return hose is too long. Will get that shortened today and get a swivel fiitting for it. Forgot the camera, so no pics :(

I figure 2 more hours and I can put fluid in the tank and fire it up......:)

Gotta quit early tonight, as I have to be in Toronto for 9 am tomorrow. :pissed:
May have to finish some stuff last minute on Friday, after I drop my camper at the dam.

D

Dirk

I have power steering....:D:D:D

And no leaks...so far.

Couple of quick pics:

Almost looks factory doesn't it? :lmao:

Everything fits and the hood closes.

gotta fix my wipers and fab front flasher mounts for the weekend. I'll see you guys this weekend. :cool::beer:

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Truck did well this weekend at Calabogie, it went everywhere I expected it to go. :D
Have to redesign the breather for my oil reservoir. It leaks when I climg stuff..:banghead:...what was I thinking? And not replacing a 20 year old, frayed and cracked V-belt was beyond stupid. It left me on the Quinn on Sunday... :rolleyes:

On the Quinn: :D

And how it got to camp:

:beer:

Last edited:
D

Dirk

Had the truck out a few times now and am quite happy with it.
Got my tailgate/tirecarrier mostly done and functional.

Closed:

and open:

still have to fill in the open sections with sheetmetal and mount the Hi-Lift on the inside. Also want to integrate a box for towstraps and often needed gear.

Have to rethink a few things.
1 - The oilpan hits and partially crushed my steering stabilizer.... :pissed:
2 - hydraulic reservoir breather leaks (pour fluid out) when climbing obstacles. Relocated the breather, but issue persists..... :clue:
3 - Driving the hydraulic pump with a sigle 1/2" V-belt is not working out well. Currently only running the powersteering off it, drawing a few HP max and it slips, skipps and smells horribly. Will convert to chain drive and see how that works out.

Ofcourse to make sprockets for the hydro-pump drive one needs a lathe. Good thing PA had a sale this week. :)

Last edited:
C

Cummins Land-Rover

Can you drive the pump off the nose of the crank? IE concrete mixer style?

D

Dirk

Driving it of the front of the crank was my first choice, but there is just no room. Also my pump runs at half engine speed, and wouldn't be able to take 4800rpm. But had there been room I would have bought a higher rpm pump. It sure would solve my problems.

D

Dirk

New Rubber

picked up some new rubber

Michelin 11R16 directional tire

this is how they compare:

Should have them mounted tonight and will try them on the Gorge in the next couple days.

Last edited:

aweber

This thread is :rainbow:
Staff member
Club Member
Hate to say it but you are going to HATE those tires.

Just ask anybody who was on the winter run at the Quinn last year with the blue toyota on the same tires. No lateral traction at all, or for that matter, no traction period :lmao:

Farm Boy

Bought the Farm
Get a grooving iron or keep the 33s -- or both!!!
You planning on running them flat for a couple years to break in the sidewall?

I agree with Adrian, those tires suck!

I hope they were cheap. :flipoff::stir: