September Run ~ Quinn with Northumberland

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
You sure it's Northumberland and *not* County 4x4? A FB friend from County4x4 is getting his junk ready to run Quinn this weekend...

Bart

Hi Guys

Ken (aka Bart) from Northumberland Offroad nice to meet you all. You guys are more than welcome to join us on Sept 25th Quinn Trail. There are about 6 of us, Lowrad from county4x4, couple of guys from Frankford and 2 or 3 of us from Port Hope Cobourg area. We are heading up Friday and returning home Sunday. We are planning to meet at Hwy 7 & Hwy 41 at around 3 oclock Friday and head out from there. Planning on camping at Hungry Lake.

O.D.

Club Member
Hi Bart!

I'd possibly like to join up with you folks on Saturday morning for a day run. Is that possible? I don't know the route for Quinn so i am looking to you (Or anyone else on the board) to know if this is possible. It sounds as though you guys are going for a multi-day run.!! I partially ran Quinn in June however i drove to it from the Dam in Calabogie.

Cheers,

Bart

Hi Bart!

I'd possibly like to join up with you folks on Saturday morning for a day run. Is that possible? I don't know the route for Quinn so i am looking to you (Or anyone else on the board) to know if this is possible. It sounds as though you guys are going for a multi-day run.!! I partially ran Quinn in June however i drove to it from the Dam in Calabogie.

Cheers,

You would have to meet us in there Sat morning, we are camping at Hungry Lake which is about 1 mile from the trail. This will be the second time I have run this trail the first time we came in from the dam end.

Has anyone been into Hungy Lake camp site 1. Is it large enough for 6-8 vehicles?

Cochise

You would have to meet us in there Sat morning, we are camping at Hungry Lake which is about 1 mile from the trail. This will be the second time I have run this trail the first time we came in from the dam end.

Has anyone been into Hungy Lake camp site 1. Is it large enough for 6-8 vehicles?

Hi Ken,

What time on Saturday are you guys starting?

I looked at the map and Hungry Lake is about 1 KM North of the Front Door (off of Arcol rd form the dam). Never been to the campsite, so don't know how big it is.

Dan

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Ditto, never camped down at that end. It used to be the entrance side like 20 years ago, so maybe one of the old timers knows which lake you speak of.

Bart

Hi Ken,

What time on Saturday are you guys starting?

I looked at the map and Hungry Lake is about 1 KM North of the Front Door (off of Arcol rd form the dam). Never been to the campsite, so don't know how big it is.

Dan

Im thinking around 9:30-10 there might be another couple of guys coming up Sat but not sure at this time.......so far 5 confirmed going.

J

JKMurf

I'd like to join in on the Quinn Trail Saturday but I've never been. Is the Quinn trail a stock or semi stock trail? Wondering if I could make it through or not? (See ride info below)

Cochise

Im thinking around 9:30-10 there might be another couple of guys coming up Sat but not sure at this time.......so far 5 confirmed going.

I'll be there. I'll try to find the campsite, I'll be at the dam around 9. You guys thinking of going in through the Front door, or doing the backdoor loop? If I can't find you, I could meet at either entrance. Got a cell number, just in case? mine: 293 - three five oh five.

Dan

Cochise

I'd like to join in on the Quinn Trail Saturday but I've never been. Is the Quinn trail a stock or semi stock trail? Wondering if I could make it through or not? (See ride info below)

Trail minimum, as far as I know, is 33" tires, and locked at least in the rear, winch and/or tow points.

If you have open diffs, you might get away with riding the brakes, but I don't know. One of the tribal elders here who has run the trail can chime in. This is my first run, so I expect it to be challenging. :smokin:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member

You'll be fine. May need to use the winch once, since you're going front to back you only have one PITA hill/rock thing. The rest of it is mostly downhill.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Trail minimum, as far as I know, is 33" tires, and locked at least in the rear, winch and/or tow points.

If you have open diffs, you might get away with riding the brakes, but I don't know. One of the tribal elders here who has run the trail can chime in. This is my first run, so I expect it to be challenging. :smokin:

You'll be good as well Dan, probably have trouble at the same spot as JKMurf, but that's just a ground clearance/wheelbase thing. Course, the lockers may just get you up and over it. It's just a new PITA spot on the trail, nothing to tricky, just a PITFA. LoL

Bart

I'll be there. I'll try to find the campsite, I'll be at the dam around 9. You guys thinking of going in through the Front door, or doing the backdoor loop? If I can't find you, I could meet at either entrance. Got a cell number, just in case? mine: 293 - three five oh five.

Dan

Dan I personally don’t have a cell but I know the other guys do. What’s your area code?........We can try to call you around 9-9:30 if we don’t meet up with you first. If you have a GPS the coordinates for the camp site are N45deg06.007 W076deg49.871

Is the trail entrance at the south end considered the front door? What’s harder front to back or back to front? We ran it from the south entrance last year.

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Dan I personally don’t have a cell but I know the other guys do. What’s your area code?........We can try to call you around 9-9:30 if we don’t meet up with you first. If you have a GPS the coordinates for the camp site are N45deg06.007 W076deg49.871

Is the trail entrance at the south end considered the front door? What’s harder front to back or back to front? We ran it from the south entrance last year.

Harder is typically back to front, and yes, the South end is considered the front door. Going from the back door you go up 2 Step, Slickrock and the new, un-named hill, but get to go down the hill/rock thing I referenced above, making that part a little easier.

Last edited:

O.D.

Club Member
Is pinion pass on Quinn?

In any event, i am quite certain that i too will be making this trip, provided Northumberland Offroad have the room for one more ??

Cochise, JKMurph... Perhaps we can arrange a meet prior (Say at the base of the dam) to heading up to find /meet the rest??

Cheers,

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Is pinion pass on Quinn?

In any event, i am quite certain that i too will be making this trip, provided Northumberland Offroad have the room for one more ??

Cochise, JKMurph... Perhaps we can arrange a meet prior (Say at the base of the dam) to heading up to find /meet the rest??

Cheers,

PP is off of Quinn, you just gotta know where to turn. Really, PP isn't worth the time to drive over to it anymore. Damn 4 wheelers paved it.

J

JKMurf

Alright, well, I'm thinking I should wait and get a couple more Lavant or Gorge runs under my belt before attempting the Quinn trail as I'm pretty much a novice to the whole Off-roading thing and I have no lockers (at the moment).:banghead:

Twinkie

Administrator
Staff member
Club Member
Alright, well, I'm thinking I should wait and get a couple more Lavant or Gorge runs under my belt before attempting the Quinn trail as I'm pretty much a novice to the whole Off-roading thing and I have no lockers (at the moment).:banghead:

Really, you'll be fine. There is a go around for 2 step and the left side of slick rock is easy. You have more then enough ground clearance. Don't let the lack of lockers stop you, learn to drive without lockers, it will make you that much better of a driver when you do get one. I've done Quinn from the front door in a Sidekick on 30's. Tire placement is key. :)

O.D.

Club Member
Would agree as well JKMurf. While i do not know the Northumberland Offroad group, based on some videos I checked out on their site, they seem to be fairly "Tame" :)

You'll be fine. With 35's, you have plenty of clearance.

Bart

Im running a YJ on 33s, 1 XJ on 33s, 1 XJ on 35s, 1 CJ on 35s and 1 FJ 40 on 35s you will be fine.