The Japanese Poutine

trixter192

Club Member
Found a new home at Ryans place. Today I pulled front clip, motor, and trans. I'm glad I did, I found lots of unsecured fuel and coolant lines. Clutch cable was secured with a bent nail.

1.3 and trans is for sale. Runs good, has choke issues.

trixter192

Club Member
All my ducks are in a row.

And the kit to mate the two together :cool:

Got to cut the kick front output off, dismantle half of the kick case, weld these plates together, mate them with parts from a kick slip yoke, etc etc. Best to leave it to a machinist, theres some custom milling involved.

I also have to widen the trans tunnel in order to fit the TH180, and replace some rotten plumbing lines.

trixter192

Club Member
Nice to see some movement. Must be a bit chilly?

Insulated work boots and overalls. I actually took off my coat, it was getting warm. There is a heater, but it doesn't work correctly. I know a guy that will fix him up.

trixter192

Club Member
Chopped and welded. Now to figure out how to make a shifter, since the rails used to be next to the front output. Then, 6.5 gears for the sami case.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Obviously Cable shifters would work, Malmberg came through when I needed replacement cables in a pinch as NWF was having problems getting replacements (they have since told people to look elsewhere for the cable portion of their kits).

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Auto trans shift cables from FWD cars are a popular option too. I've heard the Honda cables in particular. PA also carries push/pull cables, but I know Dwayne had a less than stellar experience.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Forget about your cables.

Is that Forget or forgot? I can bring a set to the next meeting if you want to see them. The ones I have are the NWF ones, Malmberg's are the same but a tad less flexible (they still worked though)

trixter192

Club Member
Is that Forget or forgot? I can bring a set to the next meeting if you want to see them. The ones I have are the NWF ones, Malmberg's are the same but a tad less flexible (they still worked though)

I am not using cables.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Ah, will be interesting to see how you deal with moving from stock location (assuming that is what you meant by "since the rails used to be next to the front output") .

daaboots

Wow, you had that welded up pretty fast! Cool looking build you have going on. Say, where did you get that suspension calculator?

trixter192

Club Member
The numbers are from Ron at DMR, who built the axles for the same chassis I have. The excel spreadsheet is free out there on the interwebs.

Here is an example of someone's nearly complete adapter, no cables.

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I will make sure to bring you a ribbon next time I see you. No need for the snark
Some of us are not aware of the details of your kit.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
If you want manual linkage, check out the last few pages of skipped_link's Monster Buggy thread on pirate. Dude does some awesome work (similar idea to what I need machined, actually).

For anyone looking at cable shifters, JB Fab (or customs, I forget) has a pretty cool setup. $$$, but apparently much nicer than the NWF one everyone used to rave about.

And now back to your regularly scheduled build thread.

EDIT: http://jb-custom-fabrication.myshopify.com/

JB Custom Fab, so I was right both ways LOL

Last edited: