The Japanese Poutine

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Surprised they are not honoring the TSB even though past warranty. I just got another TSB from Jeep for the Liberty and thats an 03. I guess at any second the air bag can go off unexpectedly and kill me. Reminds me I should get it fixed. Maybe it is the level of risk of harm to occupants.

junkpile

Recalls are covered by the manufacturer, Technical Service Bulletins are just diagnostic information supplied by the manufacturer.
Usually one may cause death the other just frustration
It does suck they aren't covering it under "goodwill" policy like Volvo and their XC90 trannies.
You know... Maybe you could write HQ and get it covered because of excess emissions and reduced fuel economy??
How many kms on it?

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Recalls are covered by the manufacturer, Technical Service Bulletins are just diagnostic information supplied by the manufacturer.
Usually one may cause death the other just frustration
It does suck they aren't covering it under "goodwill" policy like Volvo and their XC90 trannies.
You know... Maybe you could write HQ and get it covered because of excess emissions and reduced fuel economy??
How many kms on it?
Duh, for some reason I was thinking the same thing.
Good idea about asking Toyota, wouldn't hurt to at least ask

trixter192

Club Member
Actually, I made a mistake earlier. There's a TSB for the front wheel shimmy(wheels feel out of balance at high speed), which is caused by overweight tires. My FJ shakes with 35" tires at highway speeds, but is barely noticeable with 15oz of balancing beads. Toyota's solution is to drop the rack and pinion and replacing an internal spring. It also seems that it's corporate policy to blame the customer for installing heavy or unbalanced tires before admitting to the TSB. Brand spanking new FJTT's or FJUE's will shimmy right off the lot with factory installed BFG's and shimmy, which lead to the TSB.

Again, I'm correcting myself, there is NO TSB or recall for the Transmission, but there are hundreds, probably thousands of people with the affected problem. If you will read my source, you will see that Toyota is playing dumb on this expensive issue, and many tranny shops are working on A750E transmissions for this same reason. My truck has been through a full flush with Lubegard aadditive with no positive results. I've researched this issue to death in 2012-2013 with no interaction with OVO, as I am the only one with a late model Toyota, and this is mostly a design fault. It's also the same reason there's no FJ build thread on here, because it gets mocked. I'd like to keep this build thread on topic, so send me a PM if you want to discuss late model Toyota stuff. I simply posted a to-do list to keep my work schedule in order.

Anyways, let's keep this on topic. The wonderful Japanese Poutine.

trixter192

Club Member
Rubber brake line is factory, but took a lot of soaking in PB Blaster to unfreeze and salvage this $70 OEM part. Previous lines were cut in half (why???). Luckily, Landon had a spare set.

Bonus: New to me seats

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Try Liquid Wrench, I have found a couple times where PB Blaster couldn't loosen something it did. Not sure which one is better (although in the States they say Kroil is) but I think they work a bit differently

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
Liquid wrench is my go to product. Spray it on, tap it. Wait awhile, spray some more, tap it. Repeat as necessary. I am not sure if there instructions still mention the tapping, but it is to work the solution into the crevices and I am always amazed by the things that it will remove.

trixter192

Club Member
Interesting article Kevin. The hazardous properties are not ideal though.

Some more engine progress today:
-Replaced ceased alternator.
-Fixed butterfly valve.
-Replaced cracked and stretched belt.
-(Hopefully) fixed vacuum lines. If anyone had a stock 87 Samurai, please PM me. 88 or 85 won't do.
-Installed missing rad overflow jug.
-Replaced cracked EGR hose.
-Replaced broken temp sensor.

Last edited:

trixter192

Club Member
Replaced the battery, topped off the coolant, and she's alive! The carb needed a bit of a boost at first, but she seems to be running and starting good now.

Shocks are still backordered, so I may have to reconsider options if I want to make it to Spring Fever. My plan was to do the suspension, then build the body and fenders around that. The only bodywork that can do right now is the driver and passenger floors.

trixter192

Club Member
Spent a lot of time fixing the FJ and the trailer. Trailer is road worthy and hauled the parts car to a top secret storage facility. Managed to fit the 35" tires on the FJ with tons of rubbing. It's not trail worthy.

Mounted the factory seats and windshield. Started the floor on driver's side.

Ordered a smaller steering wheel and figured out a way to adapt it to my orbital. I can cut shaft down as desired. I also have the parts to add a universal joint if needed.

My new goal is Labour Day Blast.

Last edited:

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
I'd add a joint and mount the orbital on the fire wall myself. What's left to do?

Oh, and where's the pics of the FJ on 35's?

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Spent a lot of time fixing the FJ and the trailer. Trailer is road worthy and hauled the parts car to a top secret storage facility. Managed to fit the 35" tires on the FJ with tons of rubbing. It's not trail worthy.

Mounted the factory seats and windshield. Started the floor on driver's side.

Ordered a smaller steering wheel and figured out a way to adapt it to my orbital. I can cut shaft down as desired. I also have the parts to add a universal joint if needed.

My new goal is Labour Day Blast.

Better to do it right the first time and take longer than rush through. Got a spare seat next weekend if needed (although I vaguely recall you volunteering yourself as trailbitch to Adrian)

Last edited by a moderator:

trixter192

Club Member
It was on 35's last year nothing special. I sold my 1.25" wheel spacers from last year. The goal is to sit on 32/33" tires. I Borrowed 1.5" spacers from the Toyota axle, and rub the body mount more than ever.

What to do:
Suspension/steering/driveshafts/drive train/floors/racing seats/cage/soft top/paint.

As I mentioned earlier, there's no room to do this at my house. I'm holding out for Garrett's garage. Maybe I'll make a wrenching day with a few cases of beer.

Kunker

Administrator
Club Member
Over the course of a winter, about 10 years ago, I watched a dude, in -30* weather, do a frame off rebuild on his C-10 truck outside with just hand tools and a wooden A-frame.

Mind you, I've got a fully stocked shop and still am making no progress, so I can't say too much :(

trixter192

Club Member
I was concerned about rust when I started the body outside. My driveway also has a slope. I have to pick up my crawler and throw it upside down so it doesn't roll away. Not exactly ideal for suspension.

The real reason I didn't even consider the suspension is because I don't trust my welds.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
I was concerned about rust when I started the body outside. My driveway also has a slope. I have to pick up my crawler and throw it upside down so it doesn't roll away. Not exactly ideal for suspension.

The real reason I didn't even consider the suspension is because I don't trust my welds.
Post pics we can get an idea of what you are doing and the experts (excluding my booger welds) can give some advice.