231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Talked to Novak and they finally got the flanges in. The rear output should ship within a week or two. Unlike NWF they have not been quick to email me back for updates which ends up me calling them.
For NFW, they got a tracking number right before Xmas for their cables but on Thursday he said nothing had changed in its status since it had been dropped off. I have seen that happen before so it doesn't mean much. I'll bug him in another 2 weeks :D

Was sick for a good two weeks of December and didn't have much time to work on it during the holidays since I was working all of it and with the cold spell I haven't been too motivated but I took this morning and got the passenger seat out so I could get a good placement. I have been using the two holes I had to drill for the Tuffy insert as a placement for the rear part and been working at throwing together the front part bit by bit. Here is a rough skeleton. I am planning on filling in the gaps with steel and grinding it flat. It should do the trick. The plan is still to make a bracket for the shifter and attach it directly to the tub. It will sit a bit into the driver side but I don't think it will be too bad. We shall see...

I should really clean the floor.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Nothing much other than I ordered the SpeedoHealer for when the Dana 300 goes in, the new Novak output is short enough it doesn't fit the stock gear based speed sensor so I need to get a converter. I bought the Jeep plug in one as it has the appropriate plugs for an extra $20. If we get another warm spell I will look at putting it in earlier so it is already there.

Now to see if they take months to ship....

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
According to Fedex the output should be showing up tomorrow.
I also had a nice chat with a guy on JeepForum. He has also been in the same boat with the shifter cables from NWF and should be getting them tomorrow. He had the doubler in his but just put in an AW4 and because it is too long his drive shaft would be 11" so he decided to just do the lomax gears instead and get rid of the 231. He did say his driveshaft right now was 14" and had no issues with binding which is promising.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Bling time
Just got my shipment from Novak, ordered this I think in October and have been (im)patiently waiting for them to get manufactured.
Biggest deficiency with the Dana 300 is that the inspection hole is huge and theory is that it may have an impact in the structural integrity of the case. The thin cover doesn't help much in that regard. To counteract that and allow a bit more fluid I got Novak's billet top. You can see in the second picture how much thicker the thing is.

Now the big purchase of the bunch is the HD rear output. Second picture shows how much shorter it is than stock. I will get a picture comparing the two when I get the old output off

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Ordered the stuff for the TC support. Not to jinx it the only thing I need now is to pick up some DOM when I get to that point.
Oh and the cables still from NWF

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got the Speedohealer from Blue Monkey Motorsports. It spent 6 days in customs which is the first time I have seen something spend more than 2 days. Right now it has the stock interface so I could plug it in and when I need to swap over I just cut off the one connector and solder on the new sensor

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Brown Santa showed up today and dropped off the Transfer Case Mount and clamps. These will be used as part of the crossmember behind the Dana 300

Now where the hell are my cables...

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
He doesn't keep me updated, I email every two weeks and then he tells me where it is at. The guy on JeepForum I had talked to did get his last week and is extremely happy with them. I feel bad about it all as it really does sound like it is out of his control. Also to be honest I won't really need them until for at least another month or two or longer if the weather is not good enough to do it and test it before SF. Only benefit now would be to see how much actual swing there is in the levers, one of the issues I can see happening is interference between the top of the outermost lever and the console or the seat. I think I could actually shorten the levers by an inch which would make it a bit more difficult to shift but I doubt that much.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
With it being warm enough and having a couple spare minutes while Anne watches after the new dog we are fostering, I took the opportunity to pull off the original output housing off of the Dana 300 and you can compare how much shorter the new Novak HD output housing is

Very happy with it.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Hit a snag:

It ain't gonna fit with the location of the speed sensor and the shape of the housing.
Going to email TMR and see what they can do.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Last night I tapped a new hole on the back plate for the 231 for a fill hole. As it will be flipped the hole provided will be too low. Also tapped one hole in the Dana 300 for a sight tube. There is not an easy way with the 300 flipped to be able to check fluid levels.

Just talked to TMR and they are going to ship me the Atlas flange. I think I will be able to get it to work. I may have to do a bit of grinding on the back side due to the very short ring compared to the AA but I should be able to get it done.

MattK

Did you order the full 300 reverse kit from NWF plus an extra shifter and cable? or do they have a complete 231/300 kit that they don't list on their site? I definitely like the NWF over JB for cost and supporting a Canadian company, but I do like the JB kit for the bracket it provides for the 231.

Matt

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Did you order the full 300 reverse kit from NWF plus an extra shifter and cable? or do they have a complete 231/300 kit that they don't list on their site? I definitely like the NWF over JB for cost and supporting a Canadian company, but I do like the JB kit for the bracket it provides for the 231.

Matt

It was the 203/300 kit. He is getting me a universal adapter for the 231 rather than the 203 bracket. I talked to Kyle and he said as of March he has a new source for cables. It was a company he used before but they were not as flexible but now have a newer product that should work.

MattK

Right on, so best bet i guess is to call and clarify when ordering that I am looking for a 231 kit? I was thinking about just ordering the 300 kit and doing something else for the 231 but my ocd wouldn't have done to well with that. I don't think mine will be in by beginning of the season but I will definitely order a bit ahead. Cheers!

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Right on, so best bet i guess is to call and clarify when ordering that I am looking for a 231 kit? I was thinking about just ordering the 300 kit and doing something else for the 231 but my ocd wouldn't have done to well with that. I don't think mine will be in by beginning of the season but I will definitely order a bit ahead. Cheers!

Mine won't be either unless we get a really early spring. I figure after Spring Fever and the first WAC (if it happens) I will probably start it then.
Basically contact NWF and tell them what your are doing. You dont need to do triple shifters, I know Dwayne had a double shifter and then had a single on the right side for the doubler.
If you do get NWF you may want to do it asap or at least get an eta on when it would ship.