231/Dana 300 Doubler Build

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
So I returned the Dana 300 bracket to TMR and ordered their Atlas flange, when I ordered it I had a feeling that I would need to widen the inner diameter which my suspicions were confirmed.

Pulling out the old angle grinder I needed to take about 10 thou off and round off the underneath since the actual lip is pretty small

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Also anyone know where I can source rubber bushings? I want to use rubber in place of the poly ones that came with the flange.
TIA

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Have to send kudos to Brown Dog Motor Mounts. When I ordered the Atlas Flange from TMR they come with poly bushings (specifically made by Daystar Part# MO2125) and since all of my mounts are rubber I wanted to match up. I started looking online and could not find a place that sources that big of a bushing in rubber. I had a eureka moment and emailed Brown Dog about where they get theirs as they do both rubber and poly. He said that the MO2125 is the same as as the MO2153 but a little shorter and that they had rubber bushings that match the same size. They are nice enough that they will be shipping me a pair. I had bought their mounts and have recommended them before and still will.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Got the rear output on this morning:

Also tapped it for a fluid site line.

Should be getting the new rubber mounts from Brown Dog for the Atlas Flange this week. Also ordered an internal winch switch from 12voltguy which I will be mounting to the console (which I really need to sit down and finish).

Last edited:
T

the goat

Looks awesome. I did a 203/205 for mine this year and can't wait to get out now! Did u ever get ur cable shifters from them? I'm a little worried now cause I did my drivetrain first to set everything first and just ordered the triple cables yesterday. It all works great when I pull the rails from underneath but shifters before spring would be great!

Last edited:

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Looks awesome. I did a 203/205 for mine this year and can't wait to get out now! Did u ever get ur cable shifters from them? I'm a little worried now cause I did my drivetrain first to set everything first and just ordered the triple cables yesterday. It all works great when I pull the rails from underneath but shifters before spring would be great!

Still waiting but he has moved to a different manufacturer for the cables. He said the old one was great for ordering a couple but completely becomes a shitshow when you order two hundred. He said that the company he is getting from he had used before but had not been as flexible as the ones he was using. I guess the new (or is that old) company have improved their flexibility. Last time I talked to him he said it should be a couple weeks before he got them. Thank god I have not been in a rush otherwise I would have been super pissed.

Side note. With the different output I have had to move from a gear based speed sensor to electric. To hook it up I have a Speedohealer from Blue Monkey which sits in between and changes the number of pulses. The issue I have is that to install the sensor to the output it screws in A LOT. When I solder it to the speedo healer it would probably get twisted up a lot and ideally I would like to see about having a removable connector. I have a couple Molex connectors but I don't think they are waterproof. Any ideas? I could also do spade connectors but want to keep it waterproof.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Emailed NWF and they said they were expecting the cables to be done last week but have not heard anything and can't get anyone on the phone.
I would swear if I had another choice at this point I would start looking elsewhere....
Even then I am still not in a rush as I don't want to actually start the swap until after Spring Fever.

Last edited:
T

the goat

I just talked to him yesterday and he said next week but it seems like he says that a lot! Just finishing up odds and ends before spring fever so I hope their in before or I'll be pulling rails by hand through the floor

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Actually I talked to him afterwards. I thought he was talking about the new company so I was getting the impression he was getting the runaround from them but no it was the original company. He said literally this:

"As soon as i hear from my supplier i will let you know otherwise will have to get the other supplier cables once they are ready later this month."
So in other words if the original supplier screws him I get the new suppliers.

Don't know if the ones from PA would work to be honest, they might but I only have half of the system. I have the part which the shifters connect to but I need the whole bracketry that it connects to at the Transfer Cases. I could probably kludge something together if I was in a bind but right now I could wheel it. The only difference is the passenger seat and console is out. Put it this way I am not touching the existing drivetrain until I have all the parts from NWF.

That said, I am starting to think about how to replace the existing shifter with something else so I could fab up the new shifter location without actually touching the drive train. I may temporarily use one of the shifters and make my own temporary bracket, it may not be that difficult since I already have a Novak cable shifter which I did when I did my TT. Hmmmm, this could actually be fun....

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
Biggest update today is I killed my Dremel. :)
I was using it for the small cuts where an angle grinder was just too big.
No pics yet

dwcjwerfner

Club Member
I tried to piece together a cable system for my doubler from PA stuff. I would never try that again. Maybe cables from a real shop, but the bracketry is part of why you pay big dollars.

2Greys

Insert title here
Club Member
As you have read prior, the new Dana 300 rear output uses a PCM sensor rather than the existing gear sensor so I had to get a modifier for it to translate for the PCM which is why I bought the PCM. The sensor and cable for the Speedohealer are both 3 wired. When I got the sensor I noticed two things:
1. It is pretty long
2. It is screwed into the output housing

Putting these two together and thinking that if I was to solder the leads together it would probably get well twisted even before I got to it fully set. So I was on the hunt for some connectors but the local electronics store in town didn't have anything waterproof and since it will be under the vehicle I think that would be the prudent thing to do. I ended up finding this:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NTQC1JK/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item
which seemed reasonable for what I needed. So Sunday I ordered them

Just got them today:

If you zoom in nice and close you may be able to read AMP on them and from my days working at Newbridge that means they are actually good connectors as that was what their preferred brand used on $20k+ ATM boards that they sold to Tier 1 telecom companies.